+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It really depends on the specifics of the case. I am what you would call anti-abortion but I didn't disown a good friend when I found out she had one. Perhaps if she had been a total biatch about it I might have (abort based on gender, using multiple abortions as a form of contraception etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's a tough question. I guess it depends on the friend in question.

I defriended my mothers group due to their judgemental, cliquey, *****y behaviour towards another lady in the group. I don't have time for people like that.

However, I stood by and supported my oldest and dearest friend through a traumatic break up and abortion. I am 100% against abortion but my love for her overrules that. She would have to do something completely outrageous like purposefully try to harm me or my family (which would never happen) for me to defriend her.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FutureMa For This Useful Post:

Patience Belmont  (24-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To be honest, yes. There are some subjects I have very strong and when people sprout certain views I question their intelligence, critical thinking skills and compassion for human rights/life.

I can be a polite and friendly acquaintance but we won't be best buddies anytime soon because their values are just too different to mine.

Eta: Parenting style is irrelevant to me. I have friends who do things completely differently because of family size, budget, beliefs and practicality. Unless it's abusive or neglectful then I don't care. I also don't care about others spiritual beliefs.
    Last edited by Luna Lovegood; 24-10-2013 at 07:39.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (24-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There are some things that I would immediately cut ties with someone over, haven't had to do that luckily.

There are things that have made me distance myself from people over like cheating on their partner, completely different parenting beliefs that they find the need to push on me etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any close friends, if I did I wouldn't drop them easily (and certainly not based on how they vote ).
    If they were doing something really terrible I'd give my opinion and try to get them to really think about what they are doing (which might taint the friendship anyway).
    I'm pretty loyal so I could never turn my back on someone who needed me. If a friend did something that hurt me or my family I would cut ties.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not as straight forward as it seems, I have all kinds of different friends with different beliefs and backgrounds etc. I agree with a previous poster that I'm also someone who can generally see the good in people.

That said, since having DD I have a lot less time in my life to pick up the pieces for others who are having a tough time than I used to, it's made me refocus my attentions on those who are truly friends, where it is a two-way street where I know we can support each other. I've culled a few friends in the last couple of years, who probably weren't true friends to begin with but having DD made me look at them through a clearer lens if that makes sense.

It's also very much about respect. If I can't/don't feel respect for someone, I tend to steer clear and just keep it at "surface level".

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

caribbean  (24-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How boring if all of our friends were just like us...

Some things mentioned would obviously be reasons not to be friends with someone (abuse, illegal activity, etc).

But parenting styles?! Come on!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (24-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I usually try and take people how they come and can find things in common with most people. However I struggle with friends that brag about how much they have and always have to be one better than you. While I wouldn't de-friend them I limit contact as I just cant be bothered. If it was a moral subject like cheating, gender based abortion or child abuse though I would probably de-friend them as I couldn't sit by and watch that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unless it was illegal or something I really really couldn't accept then no I wouldn't lose a friendship over it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I recently had a situation where a close friend of mine walked out on his wife and kids to hook up with a teenage girl. He brags about how he was screwing his wife over for money (and his poor kids!!!). I certainly do not condone his behaviour but he is a mate.
    I tell him I think he's a d1ck... Cos that's what friends do.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 24-10-2013 at 07:56.