+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Antenatel Care at Sutherland Hospital

Hi all, I'm newly pregnant and am tossing up between just going completely public through Sutherland or seeing a private OB. Either way, delivery will be in Sutherland Hospital. I'm not all that fussed on having a Dr that I know at the delivery but I guess my biggest concern at the moment is something being missed that could impact on the health of baby. We've been TTC for 2.5 years and this pregnancy is a result of IVF so I'd be devastated if something happened that could have been prevented if I was seeing an OB privately. Financially we'd be WAY better off going public but do you think paying for an OB would be worth it for the extra piece of mind?

What do you guys think based on your experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've birthed at sutho x3, every experience has been fantastic. I see no need for an OB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks how did you find the wait times for your appointments?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca85 View Post
    Thanks how did you find the wait times for your appointments?
    Sometimes ok, sometimes not. I think the average would have been 30-60mins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I birthed an sutherland, no probs at all. Sometimes the wait times were a bit of a pain and yes you see different OB/midwives but they were excellent. I can't see any reason why they would miss a potential problem. In fact I dare say a private OB is more likely to push towards interventions where as Sutherland public are very pro natural birth and a "baby friendly" hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @rifaerie ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I just gave birth at Sutherland Hospital and they were great. Labour got a little complicated - waters broke but labour didn't start so I had to be induced, and after getting to final stage of labour, baby wouldn't come out so I had to have an emergency c section. Everything went well and they were very good at explaining everything. I feel pretty good and it's only been 1 week.

I found waits for appointments very short, normally about on time (I went on Friday early afternoons). Once I waited maybe 20-30 minutes.

Originally I was going to go private, but am glad I went public. It does seem that OB may push for more intervention, and you are not even guaranteed they will be available for the birth! I found having one midwife during labour good support, with the dr coming just for checks and when I started having trouble.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first at Sutherland, it would not be my first choice for a birthing hospital in the future. Between myself and my friends, there have been so many negative experiences.

During my labour, a midwife who was not my midwife walked into my room (presumably by mistake), demanded that I get up the the bed for an internal which I did not want, and then got angry at me, and told my parents who were waiting outside that I was a crazy lady, very loudly. She was rude and agressive to me when I was at my most vulnerable, rude and aggressive towards my parents, and rude to my midwife.

Despite me voicing my concerns about breastfeeding, I was not offered any help by the LC. I asked to see her and was told she was busy, was not offered any other time. They discharged me even though I was clearly having problems feeding my child.

I have had two friends have hugely traumatic experiences at that hospital. Recently they attempted to induce my friend who was 10 days over, despite the fact that her baby's head had not engaged. This was her first baby, the head is usually engaged for some time before birth. After 2 days of useless inductions, they sent her home (now 12 days over) and booked her in a C-section 14 days over. This was incredibly frustrating and distressing for her.

On a whole I find that hospital hugely disorganised when it comes to birthing. Their continuity of care leaves a lot to be desired. My advice would be to employ a private midwife or doula if you are planning on going there, as a professional support person.

I had my second at St George and had an amazing experience, the difference in in quality of care was huge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Risfaerie, did you go public through st George or can you just opt to go there instead? My gp didn't mention St George, just Sutherland is the hospital we're in area for. Even if I had an ob, it'd still be delivery through Sutherland as my private health won't cover ob/pregnancy til after this one is due.