+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you all for the input/stories/experiences, it is much appreciated that you took time out of your day to reply.

I am pretty sure i will end up doing the course so thank you all for helping me make up my mind

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    Also I forgot to mention that if you find a great facility the perks can really make the days of the AINs even better. For example we have a free school holiday program for the kids of staff members - saves our staff loads of money and the residents love spending time with the kids! Win win! We also have loads of things happening, we had horses and farm animals visit the facility last week - which the residents (particularly the ones with dementia) loved. We are looking at getting an on site crèche for staff preschool kids, we have so many activities and things going on every day. If the residents are happy then it makes everyone's jobs easier!
    I wish we could take our kids in. Its one rule for some at work with another rule for others. Your facility sounds awesome.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Mum2EandR  (24-10-2013),~Lost In The Fifties~  (24-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I enrolled today in the Cert 3 Aged Care through TAFE fr 2014.. its 18 weeks and will cost me $480 ish... i dont have any concessions..

decided this is going to be the start of the new me

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Teesh  (26-11-2013),~Lost In The Fifties~  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Topaztigerlilly View Post
    I have Just completed my Bachelor of Nursing and I am waiting for my nursing registration. I am currently working in a metropolitan hospital in Sydney and love my career.

The above account from CMF is EXACTLY what a typical day in a residential aged care facility is like. I have done a couple clinical placements in aged care facilities and although it's not my type of nursing, it is certainly rewarding area to work in. The money isn't the greatest but it's not mere penny's either.

Aged care can also extend to home care where you assist and care for patients in their own home. Hours can be tweaked to suit your and your clients needs.

I wish the OP all the best in your future career.
    Thank you for your kind wishes!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Lost In The Fifties~ For This Useful Post:

Topaztigerlillyxxx  (24-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that everyone has summed up really well the job description pay etc. I have worked in aged care for four years. I spent three years working in home and community care and one year in high care facility. I love community work and I currently work in home care as a disability support work which I love. I got burn out with residential aged care to be honest. If you can find a good facility it's a great job but unfortunately I worked for a for profit company that really didn't care for residents. I had a resident pass away while I was showering her and the manager said "great now I have to fill that bed" when I told her
    It's a great carer I now love working with disabled people of all ages, it's very family friendly hours, not bad pay with salary packaging and I really feel like I make a difference.
    Good luck if you decide to persuade aged care it really teaches you so much about life, deaths and what's important in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked in aged care for 8 years before I had kids (been a SAHM since), but I loved the work. I even had one of the residents attend my wedding.
    Sadly, I was suffering burn out just before I left and I really don't want to return when I rejoin the work force.

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My course through a training facility in Geelong, cost $272, I don't have a concession card.

I have just finished my placement hours. At first it was daunting, the unknown, even though I had finished my theory. I found it rewarding and have found that I appreciate the little things in life more.

Now to do a resume, not sure how to go about this having been a SAHM for 9 years. And also deciding on what course to do next that will fit around family life, maybe Cert IV in disability.

Thanks
    Reviews
    =Myztiks#1Fan and CMF are spot on.

I somehow missed this thread. This is basically my day in a nutshell too (high care. I also administer medications as well god knows how we get it all in!)

Day shifts are much harder then arvos and nights but suits me better.

Nice to see its not just my place where the staff are all struggling and the grass isn't always greener in other facilities. I have been doing it for 9 years though and wouldn't change it for the world

Edit: good luck finding a job there's plenty out there, some may want you to volunteer for a day or two just to test you. Plenty of women who have been out if the workforce for many years or ppl that have unemployed all can get a chance, as long as you are qualified and show your passion you will find something promise
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 12-11-2013 at 14:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh mum2EandR I do believe your place is the exception. Sounds fantastic! I hate dragging residents out if bed at 645 especially in winter because if they don't get up then we won't be able to get them up at all.... And yes, some residents are put to bed at 4pm, some even spend one day in and one day out of bed sigh.

Still, I id my best by the residents and I feel I am doing good work

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Mum2EandR  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Daptoamy View Post
    Oh mum2EandR I do believe your place is the exception. Sounds fantastic! I hate dragging residents out if bed at 645 especially in winter because if they don't get up then we won't be able to get them up at all.... And yes, some residents are put to bed at 4pm, some even spend one day in and one day out of bed sigh.

Still, I id my best by the residents and I feel I am doing good work
    Thanks Daptoamy, I am really proud to be working in such a great facility! I have even got my own grandmother in there Hopefully over time things will change in other places!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-11-2013)