+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I can't remember but isn't there free courses atm (baby brain)!! All you can do is try do your placement and see if you enjoy it. That cert 3 can lead you so far!!! Got me into uni, pathways to many other things too (courses).
    I'm not sure about free courses, i've been researching some courses and they are all around the $1500 mark and above. Thats great to hear that the cert III has opened so many doors for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    A lot of people have negative opinions of aged care. "wiping bums all day" is what most people say aged care is about. But it's really nothing like that. So yes it's very very hard work, especially if you work in a high care facility, and it is really cruddy pay, and you are largely unappreciated by society and often by the families, and you do watch as people slip away, and you do get aggressive dementia patients and get attacked... but I actually find it really rewarding. All the bad stuff doesn't even matter when you walk in in the morning to your lovely people who are sick, sore, sad, and forgotten by their loved ones, when all you need to do is say good morning and you get the brightest and warmest smile from them. When your lovely dementia resident who is in their own little world squeezes your hand when you place your hand in theirs. When they say thank you profusely with tears in their eyes for their "lovely cuppa tea". When you talk and talk and talk to your non-verbal resident and one day you get a response. It's all those things that keep me going in every day.

I really am enjoying it at the moment. I've only been doing it for a year, so only early days, and tbh I really don't think I could do it forever, but at the moment it's great.

It's a great start for any nurse, you really get to learn the fundamental parts of personal care which you would need in any nursing job.

As for a job description-
    Hours, I do 630am-230pm. Then at our facility there's 2pm-1030ish (not sure on exact times), and 10pmish to 645am.
    I have 3 kids at school, so I have someone mind my kids in the morning and then I get to school in time in the arvo.
    At work I have approx 8 residents each day.
    We have handover til 645, then we start getting people up. I usually get 3 people up and showered and dressed, then sit the rest up in bed for breakfast at 8am. Serve breakfast to the people that can feed themselves, then do the feeds. I usually finish breakfasts at 845. Collect trays, make a few beds before a break at 9-930. Get up another resident, stop for morning tea at 10am. At about 1020 I finish getting the rest up and showered. I must do all this before 1130 so I'm ready for early lunch feeds. After early feeds is lunch. Serve lunch, do the feeds. Make more beds. Toilet some of the residents that I can fit in between end of lunch and my break from 1-120pm. Come back, finish toileting, transfer some to tub chairs/bed for rest time, finish beds if the bed-making fairy hasn't been to my rooms (they do sometimes!!). Then do my paperwork. Then it's about 2pm, afternoon tea. Help residents with that. Then it's home time!
    That's a perfect day in a perfect world LOL. There's always lots of things in between that happen to throw your day out! You've also got to be helping your partner all the time as well with transfers, so that takes time too.
    You are always busy. I remember when I first started and I asked what happens when I finish all my residents and all my jobs... they just laughed at me!! Now I know why! LOL.

But all in all I feel very privileged to be able to bring some happiness into the residents last little time left in this world.

Anyway I hope that helps! Good luck.
    Thank you so much for time you have taken to write your reply.

All of the information you have provided is very helpful and makes things a lot clearer for me.

"wiping bums all day" is the exact words that i have heard from more than 1 person when i brought the idea up, its great to hear that that is only the idea of people who don't have actual experience in the job.

Once again, thank you for the info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Lost In The Fifties~ View Post
    I'm not sure about free courses, i've been researching some courses and they are all around the $1500 mark and above. Thats great to hear that the cert III has opened so many doors for you.
    Where abouts are you from? I know in NSW if you do the course through tafe and you have a concession card or FTB entitlement, you only pay $100 course fee and usually $50 for materials.
    Otherwise have a look for traineeships.

ETA: even without a concession fee, I think TAFE would still be cheaper. Cert III usually cost around $600ish.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by HarvestMoon; 23-10-2013 at 22:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Where abouts are you from? I know in NSW if you do the course through tafe and you have a concession card or FTB entitlement, you only pay $100 course fee and usually $50 for materials.
    Otherwise have a look for traineeships.

ETA: even without a concession fee, I think TAFE would still be cheaper. Cert III usually cost around $600ish.

I'm in Sydney, I never even thought of looking at tafe, Lol, silly me. Would you happen to know if it's still an 8 week course or if it's longer at tafe?

I receive ftb but no concession card.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I'm in Sydney, I never even thought of looking at tafe, Lol, silly me. Would you happen to know if it's still an 8 week course or if it's longer at tafe?

I'm honestly not sure. I was told it could be done in 3 months but I guess it will vary between institutions.

Have a look on the TAFE NSW page and see what courses are available at your local campus. They might already have timetables up for next year.
    Another option is to do the course through OTEN but you would have to organise the prac yourself. I imagine that would be somewhat difficult.

By the sounds of it, you would be granted the concession fee as you receive FTB. I can't remember if it applies to FTB A or B or both. All the concession conditions will be available on the TAFE websites though.

Good luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

~Lost In The Fifties~  (24-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I work in high care dementia. Its draining. Its heartbreaking. I love it though. My favourite resident almost punched me today. It really upset me coz are on really great terms but he was having a bad day. I have 15 high care residents where in the house i work in. The hardest one i have weighs 120 plus kg(havent checked his weight yet but it was about 119 not long ago and i will be doing weighs next week) and i come home and my back and shoulders ache. We use equipment but equipment doesnt help you roll the people, nor does it help you dress, wash, shower or toilet them.

I work from 7am til 1:30pm on the short shifts 5 days a week. In the mornings before i even start, i have to read the exception report, check the diary for any outings, appointments residents may have as they have to be ready by a certain time, speak to the RN. Once on the floor, i check to see if the night staff were any use aka how many showers they did. Usually i am lucky if they do 2 and those residents are up very early. Once i get my bearings, i have half hour til breakfast to shower or sponge 4 or 5 residents. 2 of those residents are doubles so 2 staff are needed. 7:30am hits and its breakfast time. We are always late to breakfast by up to 20mins which then puts catering in a poopy mood coz they run late. My partner and myself have 7 trays to run, 4 which are feeds(we feed the residents as they either cant or its too hard esp while in bed). Once our feeds are done, over to another house to assist with their feeds(they have 6 feeds). Once breaky finishes about 8:30/8:45am, its time to toilet and we have 2 singles who we can toilet and the other is a standing hoist so a double. Toileting needs to be supervised.

Once toileting is done, time to find someone to help with the 120kg man. Its hard to find someone generally as people have their residents in their houses to look after but i can usually find someone. Depends what day it is but we have to shower him every second day and then back to bed and the other day he is sponged and hoisted into a waterchair. This process can take up to 45mins to do everyday. Then off to do another resident who is a daily shower. Standing hoist is used. Usually my partner showers resident and i go on my break.

I return from break, help stand the resident and assist into wheelchair. I encourage my partner to go on her break then while i run around cleaning rooms, making beds, shaving men, feeding morning tea as its got to 10am by now. Usually we have 4 more people to go by this stage. They are generally trolley baths twice a week so we always have a trolley bath to do everyday plus sponging. We finish our cares about 11:15am and i head out for my break. Not sure what my partner does in that time but between cares, we do obs, one on one time, make sure our 15min visual obs residents are still hanging out where we can see them, help other staff if needed, do jobs the RN's pass onto us, make the phone calls we need such as physio, organise the hair dresser, cut their finger nails, podiastist appointments, clean things that need to be clean like denture cups, take residents to activities, talk to families etc etc. Its alot and i am honestly exhausted everyday. If people are on pallative, its constant going in to make sure they are still alive, repositoning, routine cares etc.

I get back from my lunch at midday and then we have 2 feeds as family are usually in. We go to the other house to help with feeds. Once lunch is done about 12:45, time for toileting and putting people back to bed if needed.

I never have time for paper work even if i have to do it. Its hard to find time for documentation when i really have to do it but also depends on your partner if you work with one or not. My partner is a hige worry wart and a perfectionist so she does all the paper work and i just do what is needed. I go home at 1:30pm but my day shall change when i also have to give out medication plus do cares. Still same amount of residents, less time which means something will have to go as we are already time short with how the cares are already.

Its a very rewarding job though. Its back breaking though. I do work with awesome RN's though most of the time and we are constantly joking around. Its heart breaking watching the elderly you have grown to love slowly deteroriate slowly with no visitors until the end. Today my fav resident hated me and called me a heap of names but yesterday he gave me a huge hug and the biggest most gorgeous smile and we sat and sung some songs with him telling me he misses his mum who is sick currently(she has passed but he doesnt realise how old he is). Yes, there is poo and plenty of it in all shapes and forms. Plus urine too.

Hope that helps a little

ETA. Just reading a previous post about the aggressive residents and yes, some can be horrible. I have been hit, hair pulled, had skin broken, spat at, kicked and most things you can think of. Just have to incident report it and hope it really wasnt any harm done.

ETA again my pay is crap. I dont even get $20 an hour. As a casual it was only a few dollars more. Weekend rates are good with saturday being time and a half and sundays are time and 3/4 but i very rarely do weekend work.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Myztiks#1Fan; 23-10-2013 at 23:06.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'm doing a certificate 3 in health services assistance actuate care which I can use to work in aged care or as an AIN in a hospital. The full time course is 3 days a week over 18 weeks, part time is 1 day a week over a year. There is a week placement which some of the students in my class are doing in a nursing home. Tafe fees will increase quite a bit from July next year so if you are going to do a tafe course try and do the full time to avoid the fee increase!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so at my facility we have 3 shifts:
    6.30am-2.30pm
    2.30pm-10.30pm
    10.30pm-6.30am
    Sometimes there are shorter shifts of 3-4 hours and we tend to share those around our casual pool. Yes the pay is quite low - even my salary in management is very very low compared to what I have earned in other industries - however you do it for the job, not just for the money. The people that are just doing it for the money tend to leave very quickly because really there's like other PP's have said, you can earn more as a checkout chick.

I also think it makes a huge difference what type of facility you work at, all are different! My facility is amazing. One of the best I have ever been to! The residents are so well-looked after, definitely not going to bed at 4pm like a PP mentioned. In fact we put on a 'happy hour' for all residents from 4-5pm where they can have a wine/beer and some cheese if they want.

Even though I am not directly involved in resident cares, my office is in the high care dementia unit and I have a lot to do with the residents, which is encouraged. I love them, there's always something going on and they can be so funny! It's a very rewarding career, and it is quite possible to work your way up to more senior positions as you study.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I forgot to mention that if you find a great facility the perks can really make the days of the AINs even better. For example we have a free school holiday program for the kids of staff members - saves our staff loads of money and the residents love spending time with the kids! Win win! We also have loads of things happening, we had horses and farm animals visit the facility last week - which the residents (particularly the ones with dementia) loved. We are looking at getting an on site crèche for staff preschool kids, we have so many activities and things going on every day. If the residents are happy then it makes everyone's jobs easier!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Looks like the course is $419 through TAFE: https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/ser...coursesResults

The concession fee is $100 if you get FTB A: https://www.tafensw.edu.au/courses/f...concession_fee

Looks like most campuses have an enroll/apply now option for next year too.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post: