+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I think your heart really has to be in it to be able to work in aged care. It's low pay and a lot of wiping bums, showering, feeding, washing dead bodies, etc.

You get more money working at the local supermarket and the work is a hell of a lot easier.

In saying that, if it's something you think you want to do, it's definitely worth persuing. It's an industry where jobs are always in an abundance and there is plenty of room to advance through the ranks (EEN, RN, etc)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    My heart is definitely in it, as I said yes this will (hopefully) be a starting point to a long career but I definitely am passionate about helping / caring for people.

I've decided on a change of job because of an experience I was involved in that has had lasting effects from my previous job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    Can I ask a question, what shifts do aged care facilities normally have?
    I'd love to know this too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Teesh View Post
    As for the pay rate you will find you will get a little more then super market pay rate due to uniform allowence etc & weekend rate is higher and afternoon shifts are higher.. The job is very rewarding and you will find alot of mum's work in aged care the hours vary from short shifts to longer. I do both. You can also advance your career and become a EEN or RN. The job isn't for everyone but surprisingly it's not as bad as people think! It's a job and theirs worse ones out their!!! Hope that helped.. I used to be a hairdresser and love my new career/job.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Thanks for the info Teesh, glad to know it's doable with kids. =)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Lost In The Fifties~ For This Useful Post:

Teesh  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    As for the pay rate you will find you will get a little more then super market pay rate due to uniform allowence etc & weekend rate is higher and afternoon shifts are higher.. The job is very rewarding and you will find alot of mum's work in aged care the hours vary from short shifts to longer. I do both. You can also advance your career and become a EEN or RN. The job isn't for everyone but surprisingly it's not as bad as people think! It's a job and theirs worse ones out their!!! Hope that helped.. I used to be a hairdresser and love my new career/job.

Half of my EEN class works in aged care. Most of them are on around $19-$22/Hr. I'm on $24.32 ( more for nights and Sunday's) working in a supermarket.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

~Lost In The Fifties~  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep I do (well stopped to have my bub/bubs) will return once this one is 6 months old.

I work afternoons so 1:30pm-9pm or 3pm-9pm (depended if I had to serve afternoon tea or not)
    Basically i would arrive, set trolley up for tea, coffee etc snack. If anyone needed assisted feeds help out but depends what area you are in. Low care/high care etc. I worked A LOT in dementia I loved it it was more 'supervising' and assisting. Then stack pads, empty bins, have hand over and begin shift. Which meant getting residents into bed. (This part I hated). Being so understaffed meant residents are in bed at an early time (4pm) or earlier! Them dinner and checking pads.

Pay rate was $18-19 ph afternoon more on weekends (casual).

I also did night shift too (which I lurrrrrve!!!!!!!) $22-25 I can't remember now. Also I worked agency which was heaps more! About $35-40 ph if I remember correctly.

I love aged care. It's flexible, it's caring and I will go work with disabled after my bubs can go into care.

I love giving my heart and soul into those who are left with not much xxx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Lost In The Fifties~ View Post
    My heart is definitely in it, as I said yes this will (hopefully) be a starting point to a long career but I definitely am passionate about helping / caring for people.

I've decided on a change of job because of an experience I was involved in that has had lasting effects from my previous job.

Sounds like it is definitely the right choice for you. You could also consider starting with the cert 3 in acute care. You do your prac in a hospital as opposed to an aged care facility. Jusy depends what you would prefer?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on experience and if you hold a cert111 it will vary.. As a experienced Hairdresser my pay rate was lower and I completed a 4 yr apprenticeship.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teesh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Yep I do (well stopped to have my bub/bubs) will return once this one is 6 months old.

I work afternoons so 1:30pm-9pm or 3pm-9pm (depended if I had to serve afternoon tea or not)
    Basically i would arrive, set trolley up for tea, coffee etc snack. If anyone needed assisted feeds help out but depends what area you are in. Low care/high care etc. I worked A LOT in dementia I loved it it was more 'supervising' and assisting. Then stack pads, empty bins, have hand over and begin shift. Which meant getting residents into bed. (This part I hated). Being so understaffed meant residents are in bed at an early time (4pm) or earlier! Them dinner and checking pads.

Pay rate was $18-19 ph afternoon more on weekends (casual).

I also did night shift too (which I lurrrrrve!!!!!!!) $22-25 I can't remember now. Also I worked agency which was heaps more! About $35-40 ph if I remember correctly.

I love aged care. It's flexible, it's caring and I will go work with disabled after my bubs can go into care.

I love giving my heart and soul into those who are left with not much xxx
    Thank you for your reply, its great to get some insight into what the role is like especially after all the negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Sounds like it is definitely the right choice for you. You could also consider starting with the cert 3 in acute care. You do your prac in a hospital as opposed to an aged care facility. Jusy depends what you would prefer?

Thanks for the info, i will have a look into the cert III in acute care, i just want to be able to start somewhere which will lead to other avenues!

Depends on experience and if you hold a cert111 it will vary.. As a experienced Hairdresser my pay rate was lower and I completed a 4 yr apprenticeship.

I will be working for the money aspect of it but i really want to create a career for myself and not just have a job like i did in retail management.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't remember but isn't there free courses atm (baby brain)!! All you can do is try do your placement and see if you enjoy it. That cert 3 can lead you so far!!! Got me into uni, pathways to many other things too (courses).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A lot of people have negative opinions of aged care. "wiping bums all day" is what most people say aged care is about. But it's really nothing like that. So yes it's very very hard work, especially if you work in a high care facility, and it is really cruddy pay, and you are largely unappreciated by society and often by the families, and you do watch as people slip away, and you do get aggressive dementia patients and get attacked... but I actually find it really rewarding. All the bad stuff doesn't even matter when you walk in in the morning to your lovely people who are sick, sore, sad, and forgotten by their loved ones, when all you need to do is say good morning and you get the brightest and warmest smile from them. When your lovely dementia resident who is in their own little world squeezes your hand when you place your hand in theirs. When they say thank you profusely with tears in their eyes for their "lovely cuppa tea". When you talk and talk and talk to your non-verbal resident and one day you get a response. It's all those things that keep me going in every day.

I really am enjoying it at the moment. I've only been doing it for a year, so only early days, and tbh I really don't think I could do it forever, but at the moment it's great.

It's a great start for any nurse, you really get to learn the fundamental parts of personal care which you would need in any nursing job.

As for a job description-
    Hours, I do 630am-230pm. Then at our facility there's 2pm-1030ish (not sure on exact times), and 10pmish to 645am.
    I have 3 kids at school, so I have someone mind my kids in the morning and then I get to school in time in the arvo.
    At work I have approx 8 residents each day.
    We have handover til 645, then we start getting people up. I usually get 3 people up and showered and dressed, then sit the rest up in bed for breakfast at 8am. Serve breakfast to the people that can feed themselves, then do the feeds. I usually finish breakfasts at 845. Collect trays, make a few beds before a break at 9-930. Get up another resident, stop for morning tea at 10am. At about 1020 I finish getting the rest up and showered. I must do all this before 1130 so I'm ready for early lunch feeds. After early feeds is lunch. Serve lunch, do the feeds. Make more beds. Toilet some of the residents that I can fit in between end of lunch and my break from 1-120pm. Come back, finish toileting, transfer some to tub chairs/bed for rest time, finish beds if the bed-making fairy hasn't been to my rooms (they do sometimes!!). Then do my paperwork. Then it's about 2pm, afternoon tea. Help residents with that. Then it's home time!
    That's a perfect day in a perfect world LOL. There's always lots of things in between that happen to throw your day out! You've also got to be helping your partner all the time as well with transfers, so that takes time too.
    You are always busy. I remember when I first started and I asked what happens when I finish all my residents and all my jobs... they just laughed at me!! Now I know why! LOL.

But all in all I feel very privileged to be able to bring some happiness into the residents last little time left in this world.

Anyway I hope that helps! Good luck.
    Last edited by CMF; 23-10-2013 at 21:38.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

SeymourTheBear  (23-11-2013),Teesh  (23-10-2013),Topaztigerlillyxxx  (24-10-2013),~Lost In The Fifties~  (23-10-2013)