+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Whopping Cough Vaccine whilst pregnant...

Hi all,

I got asked by my midwife yesterday to get the whopping cough vaccine before 38wks. I walked out thinking ok, not a problem but then thought can the baby have an allergic reaction to the vaccine?

The reason for my concern is DS has reacted to most of his vaccinations, breaking out in a head to toe rash the first time. Every time he was vaccinated afterwards the GP gave him anti-histomine immediately after or just before the vaccinations which reduced the reaction to just around the injection sites.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never heard of having it while pregnant? I had mine after birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    New research and immunisation guidelines are showing that having it in the third tri will give some immunity to bub until they can get their first immunisation so they recommend that now instead of after birth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole83 View Post
    I've never heard of having it while pregnant? I had mine after birth.

There's a thread about the new guidelines here: http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...ring-pregnancy

(...though I had mine in the hospital after giving birth as that's what my ob advised)

OP @BubblesK may be able to help with your question

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tag KJ (btw how do you do that? Do you just add a @ at their name?) @babybump08and @nicole83 the guidelines changed in May this year in Australia.
    In the UK, NZ and US they have been vaccinating the mother in the third trimester for sometime.
    It's been shown that the maternal antibodies cross the placenta and provide the infant with levels of protection to whopping cough as high as a 12 month old that has received its vaccinations. It's shown to provide better cover for the infant than 'cocooning' the child via vaccinating all the people around it.
    It's so effective that the US recommend it for every pregnancy whilst the UK, NZ and Aus currently recommend it only every 5 years.
    Although Im not an expert on allergies to the unborn child, I would say that just because one of your kids had allergies, doesn't mean the next will. Do you specifically know it was caused by the whopping cough vaccination?
    It's a generally well tolerated vax. And is not a live vaccine, so not as likely to cause a reaction.
    Also to do a risk/benefit assessment, immunity to pertussis for a newborn would out way a possible rash. Also unborn bubba would be covered currently by your immune system not his or her own, so allergic reactions would be unlikely.
    Prior to going on mat leave, I was a vaccinator in a large Sydney teaching hospital so if you have any questions feel free to PM me!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (24-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh OP, just remember now, you new bub will need an additional booster of dtp (diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis- whopping cough) at 18 months now as a result of you having the vax in pregnancy. It's not on the national schedule so you will have to remember or as your GP to get a reminder.
    It's been shown that bubs who's mum had the vax in pregnancy have what's called a 'blunting' effect to the vaccine so just need an extra dose.
    It's not on the NIP so you will have to pay for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the whopping cough vaccine when I was pregnant as recommended by my GP. It was free for me. (It wasn't that late in the pregnancy though. Think I was first trimester. And there was an outbreak at the time - just over a year ago- so maybe that's why it was for free? Things change so quickly!)

Edit: my dd has still been vaccinated as per the national schedule, probably cos I had it so early?
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 24-10-2013 at 07:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow this is great to hear. So I had the vax after dd was born 3 years ago would this mean dd2 would have any protection or only if I were given the vax while pregnant?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole83 View Post
    Wow this is great to hear. So I had the vax after dd was born 3 years ago would this mean dd2 would have any protection or only if I were given the vax while pregnant?
    How old is dd2? Pertussis immunity can wane quite quickly from what I read which is why the CDC in the US suggests it for every pregnancy.
    It's possible she got a little but all I've read up about is the data on vaccination in the third trimester.
    It's just when you are vaccinated in pregnancy obviously your immune system makes a big surge in production of antibodies and bub benefits from this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Daptoamy View Post
    I had the whopping cough vaccine when I was pregnant as recommended by my GP. It was free for me. (It wasn't that late in the pregnancy though. Think I was first trimester. And there was an outbreak at the time - just over a year ago- so maybe that's why it was for free? Things change so quickly!)

Edit: my dd has still been vaccinated as per the national schedule, probably cos I had it so early?
    It used to be free for all people surrounding babies (mums,dads, grandparents etc). Then they only had it free for mums and now (I think since around mid this year) it's no longer free.
    I'm not entirely sure if your LO would need a booster at 18 months additionally given as it was administered to you in the 1st trimester but I would imagine it's probably similar to vaccination in 3rd trimester.
    Best idea would be to call your local public health unit and ask to speak to the immunisation co-ordinator, they would know.
    IMO, it won't do any harm to have the booster and the benefit of it is, is that a lot of the pertussis seen now in infants is caught off a sibling of about that age. If immunity of a 18month has waned and they catch it and give it to new bub that has not been immunized yet (or mum didn't have vax in pregnancy) the outcome could be dire.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (24-10-2013)