+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Midwifery Group Practice - your experience

Hi there , for those that have been through midwifery group practice or are currently in that model of care....what is/was your experience like?

Would you choose that model of care again?

Any particular experiences at Royal Hospital Women in Randwick also welcome.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did recently and felt so privileged to see the same midwife and was lucky enough to have her at my birth too... Felt so much more comfortable and safe. I would do it again in a heart beat

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellybelly13 For This Useful Post:

Orchids  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes I had MGP for my second pregnancy, and loved it so so much. Can't speak highly enough of it. Far better than my OB-managed private hospital first birth.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Orchids  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My experience was with a group of midwives in my local public hospital who were on the 'vbac team'. Absolutely fantastic care, happy for me to hypnobirth, so supportive and if I had another baby (I won't) I would use them again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Orchids  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've used the service twice. Obviously I loved it as I went back a second time. Ill use it next time as well.

MGP offers a lot more support and they come to you which is lovely rather than having to go to the hospital. It's lovely seeing the same face at each appointment rather than a stranger. They know your history and are able to put a lot more time into you.

I developed a very good relationship with my midwife and I had the same one twice. She is amazing. I couldn't recommend the service enough

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

Orchids  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps for sharing your experience...and good to know they were all really positive ones!

Everything I've read and heard elsewhere has also been good.

Helps us decide between the two options we are tossing up - MGP or Ob.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Duckduckgoose - if you don't mind me asking what were the main differences between your MGP experience and Ob managed first birth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchids View Post
    Hi Duckduckgoose - if you don't mind me asking what were the main differences between your MGP experience and Ob managed first birth?
    Oh golly, everything.
    - midwife was much more supportive of natural birth, took more time to get to know me and talk about what I wanted.
    - not as many scans with the midwife but that was fine with me
    - continuity of care before, during and after birth with one midwife plus a backup the whole time. She came to ky house before and after the birth.
    - ob pressured me into a stretch and sweep at 37 weeks because he was going on holidays.
    - both times I had premature rupture of membranes. Private experience - I was induced which led to all sorts of intervention and complications and I believe triggered my PND. The midwife I had during labour was horrible. In the MGP program they were happy to give me a few days to see if I could get labour going, then ended up just breaking the rest of my waters and letting labour start that way. I asked for an epidural at one point and the middy said to try gas first, ended up not having the epi, whereas first time round the midwife pressured me into one from the beginning.

They were just totally totally different in every possible regard. DD's birth was very healing after DS' traumatic birth.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Orchids  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was with MGP for my first birth - fantastic experience! I got a spot late (30 weeks), but got the same middy for most of my appointments and built a strong relationship with her in a short time. I had a great birth - drug-free vb with basically no intervention (aside from 1 internal when I arrived at hospy in labour). My primary middy was the only person in the room while I was labouring (aside from DH), and she was with us the whole time (but very discreet, we barely even knew she was there - she was just watching/ monitoring/ taking notes etc).

Went with private middy for 2nd birth (knew her through the MGP) and that was an even better experience! Ended up accidentally having DS2 at home and my middy just made it to us just in time to catch him and was absolutely fantastic in what was a bit of a stressful situation (thought we were going to free-birth!).

Good luck with your decision

15. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

Orchids  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Duckduckgoose & Decemberbubba - big thanks to you both for sharing...its been really helpful for us!

Duck - sorry to hear about your traumatic birth experience with your first bub. Glad it was completely different the second time around and very healing for you. In my heart I think going with a midwife is the right choice for us for all the reasons you mentioned. I know not all Obs are bad, but from my limited experience with all of this they do seem to have a different approach. I also wonder whether midwives that work in private hospitals have a different approach. Anyway, your comparison is a huge help, thank you!

December - you're so lucky to have had two wonderful birth experiences! And great that you could build such a good relationship with your middy after getting a late spot. Your second middy sounds so awesome!

Thanks again ladies for your help

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Orchids For This Useful Post:

duckduckgoose  (06-11-2013)