+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We did speech for my son for a year , she came to our house , $80 for half an hr. son had zero improvement. Now we have started again, it's $120 for half an hour . I just don't see how it works really when a child doesn't comprehend language, with a mechanical problem like a stutter or lisp I guess I understand that , my son has autism and I feel like its such a lot of money for a half hour that goes so fast. They are very skilled and educated , they do deserve to be paid well but it adds up as its not a one of service .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babynomad View Post
    We did speech for my son for a year , she came to our house , $80 for half an hr. son had zero improvement. Now we have started again, it's $120 for half an hour . I just don't see how it works really when a child doesn't comprehend language, with a mechanical problem like a stutter or lisp I guess I understand that , my son has autism and I feel like its such a lot of money for a half hour that goes so fast. They are very skilled and educated , they do deserve to be paid well but it adds up as its not a one of service .
    Yes I paid around 140 an hour at the same clinic two years ago and now it's 200. The hard part is budgeting for this, especially for weekly visits initially before they drop down to one a month or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes that's the issue, we do have funding for autism but its mostly swallowed up by his major therapy RDI. So we pay for speech . It makes you panic when they say " oh probably 2 half hours a week minimum will be enough to start" .... You think to yourself " ok how the hell are we going to do this for years ?" But I understand that you pay for the experience and knowledge , the petrol and time between appointments or the rent and reception , I'm worried this time as last time there was no improvement and we spent thousands.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm not a speech pathologist (ot) but I do work in the private sector.

Those fees do seem steep. I'd shop around a bit to see if there are others around. Unfortunately, if there aren't many around they probably up their fees accordingly. The rebate will be the same regardless of how much the practitioner charges, because they can charge whatever they like above the rebate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow, I didn't realise speech pathologists cost so much. We have just had our newborn to see one twice due to her poor sucking motion. Thankfully DF works in health care so the speech pathologist did it for free. Oh and after the first session DD was drinking like a champion!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    An assessment and report with my speechy sets u back $350.

And $75/ 30
    Mins

Worth every damn penny

She got my non verbal asd child talking and in main******. Infact.. He just got above the national and school average for reading and persuasive writing which is all the things she has been working on with him.

Shes worth a million bucks!

Your follow up consult would be them going over the initial consult/ assessment results which does take time. And she'd hafto have spent time preparing for that consult.

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DO has been seeing a speech therapist at our local hospital for free. She was referred from the ENT surgeon's so that got her in but I did have her on the community list which would have been free too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (23-10-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree the public system is great for the dollars (I work both public and private sectors). Fantastic if you can get into the public sector. Its the wait times that are a problem.

I give the same treatment to both my public and private patients, but my private patients can see me as often as they like, but my private patients can only see me about every 2 -4 weeks. Its similar for a lot of allied health services

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has weekly speech therapy in school and that's $90 for half an hour. That's paid for by my DS autism funding. The initial assessment was $200 and that was also done in school. Whilst his speachie is great my DS teacher has been having problems getting her to approve funding for a $300 communication app for his iPad that he uses on the class iPad so he can take his iPad to school.