+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was out of pocket for my ob fees after medicare rebates (all up out of pocket about $2000 which included my appointments and management fee), and anaesthetist (I got a small amount back from Medicare and a small amount back from MBP). The pediatrician also cost about $300, but because bub was not admitted, he was considered an outpatient, so being over the Safety Net threshold, we got almost all of that back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and also, out of pocket for having a double room at the hospital - but that was our choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Crap I better look into this! I'm booked for c section and with bupa now I'm scared at all these prices. I know my fee is around $2200 paid next week! Visits are $75 but Medicare pays $50ish? I hit safety net ages ago so get more back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Does anyone know if you can go public but access your phi for a private room? Not overly bothered by a private room but just wondering because I have private cover...
    Also interested in info about this if anyone has done it before =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie89 View Post
    Also interested in info about this if anyone has done it before =)
    Me too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Does anyone know if you can go public but access your phi for a private room? Not overly bothered by a private room but just wondering because I have private cover...
    From working in a public hospital for 15yrs (not specifically obstetrics but I'm sure the system would be similar in all departments), I can tell you, they will to get you into a single room as it makes the hospital more money but it won't be guaranteed as they use them first for infectious patients and patients with higher needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So your out of pocket delivery was nearly 5000? It's such a minefield of not knowing I'm thinking its easier to just go public again and not worry about getting a massive set of unexpected bills.
    Yes, so far out of pocket expense is $5500 ($500 excess payment for PHI)..... I'm waiting for a 'surprise' though after my op next week! To be honest it seems a little too good to be true that the PHI will cover everything after admission!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So I called the ob today and what I suspected was correct the out of pockets will be as follow:
    - 1700 management 500 Medicare rebate
    - 2683 ob fee - no rebate and no phi claim
    - 300 anaesthetic
    - 300 paediatrician

plus, anything else like drugs I might need or have and scans.

PHI bites!

My next question;

has anyone been public with all antenatal care and then been admitted as a private patient?

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I called the ob today and what I suspected was correct the out of pockets will be as follow:
    - 1700 management 500 Medicare rebate
    - 2683 ob fee - no rebate and no phi claim
    - 300 anaesthetic
    - 300 paediatrician

plus, anything else like drugs I might need or have and scans.

PHI bites!

My next question;

has anyone been public with all antenatal care and then been admitted as a private patient?
    Is OB fee all your appointments? My management fee was my payment to my OB for his services? Scans there should be somewhere in your area rfqt bulk bills.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    Is OB fee all your appointments? My management fee was my payment to my OB for his services? Scans there should be somewhere in your area rfqt bulk bills.
    I called them today and asked about it and at just a fee they charge on top of the management fee, there is no delivery fee once in hospital so I guess it's their gap fee for this...