+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Desperately need help with newborn

My 11 day old ds refuses to sleep in his cradle, and I have ended up resorting to Co sleeping but I really want to get him into his own space ASAP as the possibility of sids terrifies me and I'm not sleeping properly when he's in the bed with me. I have seen the Co sleeping pods that go in bed with u but really don't have the money right now. He is a little better during the day and sleeps in his bouncer while dh watches him and allowing me to get some much needed sleep but come next Monday it wont be possible as dh goes back to work. I am freaking out!
    I breastfeed him and he seems content whenever he's on the boob...take him off and try to put him in the cradle and he goes crazy! I tried a dummy but he refuses it. Have tried swaddling but he just whinges and squirms out. Also bought a sleeping bag but yet to try it as he doesn't quite meet the weight requirements yet.
    I'm at my wits end and so scared I won't get any rest once dh is back at work let alone be able to do anything if I can't put him down without him screaming down the house!
    Please any tips advice much appreciated...please tell me this is fixable!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    First of all congratulations.

Secondly it's all very normal baby has just spent 9 months in you feeling your heart beat, warm, secure its all very new and scary and quiet out here.
    Hoogle the 4th trimester it is helpful to understand why they need to be close too you.

If you can't afford a co-sleeper you can side car your cot if you have the space. You can google tutorials on how to do it. I can understand the anxiety over co-sleeping I never slept well with my daughter in the bed in the first few weeks. We actually had a Moses basket I'd put in bed with me.

Dd hated the bassinet till about 6 weeks.

Hang in there it gets so much easier and less overwhelming. I was terrified of DH going back to work and it was fine. You will find your own groove with baby.

If Uou have a baby carrier they are brilliant in the beginning for day sleeps.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueLips For This Useful Post:

AliG  (24-10-2013),Starfish30  (22-10-2013)

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My little one was the same for the first few months. For me I was happy to co-sleep, but my midwife suggested putting a t-shirt or something I had worn (she said even better if I had leaked milk on it!) in her cradle. She said to tuck it over the mattress like a fitted sheet. She said the reason babies like to sleep with us it to smell us and feel secure. Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLips View Post
    First of all congratulations.

Secondly it's all very normal baby has just spent 9 months in you feeling your heart beat, warm, secure its all very new and scary and quiet out here.
    Hoogle the 4th trimester it is helpful to understand why they need to be close too you.

If you can't afford a co-sleeper you can side car your cot if you have the space. You can google tutorials on how to do it. I can understand the anxiety over co-sleeping I never slept well with my daughter in the bed in the first few weeks. We actually had a Moses basket I'd put in bed with me.

Dd hated the bassinet till about 6 weeks.

Hang in there it gets so much easier and less overwhelming. I was terrified of DH going back to work and it was fine. You will find your own groove with baby.

If Uou have a baby carrier they are brilliant in the beginning for day sleeps.
    We just tried to be consistent. Bubs didn't like the cot initially but every time we put them to sleep we started in the cot first (sometimes ending in swing, bouncer, our bed etc) and eventually they just learned it was the place for sleep.

Blue lips has covered some excellent points.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also zip up swaddles so much easier ergo cocoon and love to dream are great. Try holding him untill he's in a deeper sleep before putting him down then once he's down put a blanket over him and tuck him in firmly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a swaddleme swaddle I think? It's got Velcro on it because I was hopeless at swaddling still am and bub is 6 months! I loved them

Dd loved being in her basinete but hated being on me which I hated for night time ffeeds lol. Maybe sleep with the cot sheet in your bed for the night so it smells like you, get some boob milk etc on it. Also if the cot fits just take side down basically same

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    This article "Life in the 4th Trimester- aka why baby is only happy in your arms" is brilliant at explaining why newborns behave the way they do. I go back to it when I need reassurance, and DD is my 3rd! I posted it on FB recently and my cousin, a first time Mum said it helped her and her husband relax so much.

I spent the first few weeks with DD literally attached to the recliner- we would both sleep there together- she in my arms. Then I realised she liked to sleep with her arms up above her head, so bought a Love To Dream Swaddle Up and it's been excellent. She now wakes once a night, around 4am. I'll be honest, day sleeps are still crap, but at 10+5, she is still technically in her 4th tri so I'm not stressing just yet.
    Last edited by Mod-Nomsie; 22-10-2013 at 14:15. Reason: forgot to link

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

MeeG  (22-10-2013),Starfish30  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    this is just a thought but do you wind him really well after feeds and before you lay him down?
    Really try to get wind out of him, it can make them really unsettled.
    bub has just been used to being rocked and held to sleep the past 9mths. he will learn to sleep on his own as he gets a little older.
    enjoy the cuddles, try a baby carrier/sling. he wont need you this much forever.
    make him feel secure, feed to sleep and sleep while you feed. Rock him off to sleep, whatever works.
    lower your standards for the housework and take-away is your friend!
    Get hm in the pram and take yourselves for a walk in the fresh air.
    What you are describing sounds totally normal for an 11 day old. They NEED to know you will always be there for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi I understand where your coming from. We just got home from the hospital yesterday and our bub is excellent during the day but nights she just takes forever to sleep and settle. I'm thinking she is getting wind too but try to burp her after every feed but dosnt always seem to work. Guess we just have to be more persistent and hope it gets easier! So exhausting

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi littlegumnut, Im sorry but you have a new born bub, 11 days is so new to this whole thing of being outside of you, of course he is going to need to be with you 24/7. I understand the fears of co sleeping, I never did it myself, but just relax and make some changes to the cradle if you need to. Perhaps a cot will be better, perhaps you can prop up the cradle so his head is higher than his feet. Perhaps you might have to sleep with him in your arms while you sit on the couch. Some babies like to be swaddled really tight. Some take a dummy. Try not to stress about doing things on your own, you will manage, just relax and take it one day at a time. Babies all take sometime to work out a routine. Also don't worry about any 'bad' habits forming. Each baby is going to continue to grow and change so do whatever works for you and let the future take care of itself. congrats, Marie.