+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    I think 11 is young as well, but im not there yet with my kids so who knows how I will feel then.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This, I still think 11 is too young to be out on their own but I guess I will assess DD when we get to that age

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    11 is young, I thought it was illegal to leave kids under 12 by themselves anyway? I could be wrong though.
    There's no legal age. You could be charged with neglect if you left an irresponsible 15 year old on their own, who you knew was likely to panic, go harrass people etc. etc.

It's about what's considered reasonable/foreseeable given your particular child/family/circumstance.

I think it's ridiculous to suggest that all 11 year olds should be directly supervised at all times. It depends so much on the individual and their family.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    People have absolutely no idea of the situation. I have no idea where they come up with this stuff with no knowledge.

I was telling DP this morning I try my hardest to not make judgements on situations like this because I may well be eating my hat in a few years and I could be the "bad parent" with the "bad child".

I get the feeling mine won't be ready to be left alone by age 11, but I know heaps of children who are ready by that age. Myself included. I don't know many perfect children though who never stuff up which is why I am often miffed at a lot of comments.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (22-10-2013),River Song  (22-10-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    'Bad parent of the year award' goes to.... Me! My 3 yo is often outside without my direct supervision. I'll be over the other side of a big yard pegging washing or inside feeding DS2. And when DS1 goes to the farm with his dad he wanders off and does his own thing. By 11 I imagine they will be driving themselves to the bus stop and coming home after school by themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    People have absolutely no idea of the situation...

I was telling DP this morning I try my hardest to not make judgements on situations like this because I may well be eating my hat in a few years and I could be the "bad parent" with the "bad child". .
    True!

My older brother was always the most sensible one out of all of us, such a straight-laced kind if kid, school captain in primary school. But he got brought home by the police one day for throwing rocks on a freeway!! Utterly stupid!! But he happened to be with the local naughty boy that day and just went along with them. The parents were so mortified, and he was punished but he's no evil spawn, just totally stupid that day. I think he was too scared to not join in. Anyway, still as an adult he is a decent member of society, doesn't even drink.

We really don't know anything about it, but people are always most judge when they don't have all the information.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When I was 11 I was out climbing trees, and riding my bike and often getting into mischief. My parents knew we were in the neighbourhood, but other then that nope.

My son right now is 7, but once he gets to high school I will be giving him more freedom, he will learn to make decisions and navigate the world. I think it's an important part of growing up. I did it with my daughter, and have read so many studies about it that I think it's extremely important to good development.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    True!

My older brother was always the most sensible one out of all of us, such a straight-laced kind if kid, school captain in primary school. But he got brought home by the police one day for throwing rocks on a freeway!! Utterly stupid!! But he happened to be with the local naughty boy that day and just went along with them. The parents were so mortified, and he was punished but he's no evil spawn, just totally stupid that day. I think he was too scared to not join in. Anyway, still as an adult he is a decent member of society, doesn't even drink.

We really don't know anything about it, but people are always most judge when they don't have all the information.
    My DP did exactly the same thing!! Throwing rocks at cars - and he was on his own. He is so thankful NOW that he didn't hurt anyone but at the time he was a kid and he genuinely didn't know he could have caused some serious damage. DP was in the top 5% of the State for his school grades, went to university, is a computer programming nerd, has never even smoked a cigarette and grew up in a Christian household. He just did one stupid thing. Not his parent's 'fault'.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Um, read my post. I did NOT say that all 11 year olds should be directly supervised at all times. For me, myself, I believe 11 is too young, others have their own risk assessments and that is fine for them. I have no problem with that at all.

As to playing on their own in the backyard. There is a big difference between that and what we are talking about.

I don't think this 11 year old should get off scot free. Maybe he needs to be forced to do some community service, maybe helping out with the clean up from the fires.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    There's no legal age. You could be charged with neglect if you left an irresponsible 15 year old on their own, who you knew was likely to panic, go harrass people etc. etc.

It's about what's considered reasonable/foreseeable given your particular child/family/circumstance.

I think it's ridiculous to suggest that all 11 year olds should be directly supervised at all times. It depends so much on the individual and their family.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Patience Belmont  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No, at 11 they don't need parents hovering over them but they still need supervision. Yes it was different back when I was younger. We lived on a farm so was out running around, however we now live in the suburbs, there are lunatics that drive on the street, child abductions have risen (am assuming here) and at 11, I personally don't think my children will be old enough, and if I can do something that may prevent any harm I will

Thanks
    Reviews
    @beebs. I didn't mean YOU were suggesting direct supervision. I was only replying to you in the first part of my post (regarding a legal age).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-10-2013)