+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default **spin off** knowing where your children are..

So, reading the bushfire thread...so many people are sitting there saying "the parents should have known where their 11 year old was"...and this has me scratching my head!

My DS will be starting high school when he is 11...he will be catching the bus too and from school. This is something we are working towards now.

You send your kids off to school...they walk too and from? From what age? If we lived close, it would be year 4 ish (so about 10).

Kids go to parks to play with their friends....or at least run where ever they like in a big park (ie I stay at a picnic table/supervising the little ones and they go off and play).

Play in the backyard at home without supervision.

Walk to and from activities...from age 10/11.

Do you really think you know exactly where they are when they are 11+. Do you really think you can account for their whereabouts at all times?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Nope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I used to go to school and come home by myself at that age, and DD probably will too. I'd like to think that if she was not very responsible or hanging around with questionable friends I would keep a closer eye, but who knows, that might not be even possible...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest is just about to turn 11, and under my watch, yes I know where he is at all times.

However when he's at his dad's I don't obviously don't know (though I think his dad would probably), and when he's at his friends houses I have no idea if the parents let them wander or go to the park etc on their own. I don't think they do, but don't really know.

Edit- I still walk my kids to school. Depending on what high school he goes to, he can walk to school then on his own. I didn't walk to school (the bus stop) until year 7.
    Last edited by CMF; 22-10-2013 at 07:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just think there are so many opportunities for kids to be unsupervised (and in general i think this is a good thing...i am not someone who thinks they can/should be watched over 24/7) and it is a big call to say "you should know where they are".

I mean...toddlers escape from their homes (we have heard lots of stories on the hub), kids wag school (even good ones lol), saying they are going somewhere and going somewhere else...or even just on their way to somewhere they are supposed to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe not. But I am hoping to hell (and am going to do everything in my power) I can raise them to be responsible and trustworthy, so things like lighting bushfires will be the furthest thing from their mind! That's the plan anyway.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When my daughters are 11 they will not be walking to and from activities or walk to the park by themselves, in my opinion 11 is still too young. Yes they play in the back yard by themselves but I always check on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think 11 is young as well, but im not there yet with my kids so who knows how I will feel then.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    11 is young, I thought it was illegal to leave kids under 12 by themselves anyway? I could be wrong though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I was thinking the same when I saw that on the news. Jeez Louise we were all over the neighbourhood at that age! I don't even hover over DS (age 3) when he plays in the backyard. Better advice got them to give would have beenti discuss the consequences of playing with fire and teach your kids it's absolutely not on and how dangerous it is etc. kids need to be able to go out on the world without us sometimes, how they behave depends on how we set them up for that over time, not how much we supervise each snd every thing they do!