+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Thermomix owners...

What do I need in my basic pantry??

My thermie is going to arrive late this week (hopefully. . I'm very excited! !) And I'm wondering what staples I need in the fridge/pantry. What do you ladies suggest?

The consultant is making the stock with me when she delivers it along with making a dinner. .. I'm thinking butter chicken from the EDC.

Tips welcome!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Apparently the edc butter chicken isn't very nice . The Indian cook book one is . I haven't tried either. Get on Facebook and like the thermofun page. Get on via a PC and she has a documents section. Lots and lots if help there

3. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd say lots of staples like almonds, bakers flour, butter, eggs, arborio rice, brown rice.
    Maybe have a look at quirky cooking - I think she has a page on this topic. Btw her food is amazing! Her chicken and brown rice soup was the first thing I made after the stock.
    Have fun - I was cooking like mad for the first few weeks. We had trouble eating all the food I made

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you on Facebook? If so look up a page call thermostruck.
    It has a couple of thousand very helpful girls in it. We share our pics, ask questions and share recipes and no question is ever to silly to ask :-)
    But to answer your question here is a few I can think of off the top of my head
    Plain flour
    s/r flour
    Bakers flour
    Sugar
    Brown sugar.
    Rock salt- to make the veg stock paste
    Corn flour
    Rice
    Herbs and spices
    Yeast.
    Block butter/ or pure cream if you want to make your own butter.
    Best recipes are the ones others share as there tried and tested and in this group all you have to do is as ask for a recipe and the girls always share their fave.
    Make sure you freeze all your fruit that you don't want. Over ripe strawberries and bananas frozen make the best fruity dream/sorbet :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to millsmum For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks everyone!! I was thinking of freezing some fruit for it. ..I already do this for my 10 month dd.

Can I ask a dumb question. . what is bakers flour and why is it different? I want to make my own bread do I need this?

I'm guessing I might need to buy a few baking things now too. I don't have a bread tin. What size should I buy?

Thanks for the tip on fb. I did a search already and a friend recommended this quirky cooking site too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get some fresh herbs growing if you haven't already. Flat leave parsley is used a lot. Sorry not sure about the bakers flour I think it's stronger then plain flour and has other flours in it? You will need to stock up on containers for your cupboard for all the flours etc. my cupboard has never looked so full! And messy, I need more containers

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tazzy For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Thanks everyone!! I was thinking of freezing some fruit for it. ..I already do this for my 10 month dd.

Can I ask a dumb question. . what is bakers flour and why is it different? I want to make my own bread do I need this?

I'm guessing I might need to buy a few baking things now too. I don't have a bread tin. What size should I buy?

Thanks for the tip on fb. I did a search already and a friend recommended this quirky cooking site too.

Bakers flour is what you use for your breads, pizza dough ect so you will also need some yeast.
    As pp said growing herbs is the best and most recipes use fresh herbs of some sort, basil, Italian parsley, rosemary are all a good start :-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to millsmum For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (22-10-2013)

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nuts (cashews, almonds, macadamias etc)
    Parmesan cheese
    Chicken
    all types of fruit and veges
    fresh garlic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I've never used bakers flour. Adding it to my list!
    I hadn't thought of nuts... will add to the list.
    I'm hoping to do some baking and make my own pastry. I usually suck at these things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found the laucke bread tin to be the best. I got mine through the coeliac society so I'm not sure where to buy one from. Otherwise a large high sided tin is very useful.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (22-10-2013)