+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Finger food for 9 month old with allergies

My 9 month old has been refusing to feed with a spoon for a while now, and will only feed herself. While I'm happy that she is so independent, it's hard since she is cows milk and soy protein intolerant. She also reacted to peanuts. I'm too scared to try her with eggs until she is 12 months old. Can anyone recommend any easy finger food she can have? At the moment, it's toast most morning for breakfast with avocado or a tiny amount of vegemite, Veges/pasta/fruit for lunch and the same for dinner. When I do Veges I also do pieces of meat too. The one and only meal she will eat off a spoon is spaghetti bolognaise. I would love to give her what I eat, but unless it's finger food she refuses it. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Rice cakes with avocado
    Cut cucumber sticks with hummus or guacamole
    Corn on the cob ( keeps them occupied for ages !)
    Homemade veggie , tuna or chicken nuggets
    Banana pancakes cut into slices
    Mini meat balls or falafel
    Lamb cutlets ( easy to hold and they suck the juices and gum off tiny pieces)

Once she's ok with eggs then zucchini slice , frittata and egg pancakes are great finger foods!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

IncyWincy  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks very much how do you make the banana pancakes? Yes she LOVES corn on the cob! Think I might make some hummus tomorrow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS is/was CMSPI and we suspect has egg and peanut allergies. He is almost 2 and has cruskits/ corn thins/ premiums with avocado. Also crumpets with nuttlex and honey (perhaps you could try a little golden or maple syrup instead of honey?)
    He also loves fruit so will eat bananas, rockmelon, watermelon, strawberries, halved grapes, sultanas as snacks.
    I also bake dairy free muffins/ slices.
    He loves stuff with rice and has always found it easy to eat.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

IncyWincy  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD was cows milk & soy protein intolerant as a baby too.

She liked things like roast veg (sweet potato or pumpkin cubes were a winner), corn cruskits, fruits, pesto pasta, meatballs (chicken or beef), mashed potato. She had skin prick testing done and nothing showed up so we started giving her things with egg too.

Is your bub on prescription formula? DD was on Neocate and there are some recipes out there for bubs using the formula instead of milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RachHasArrived View Post
    Thanks very much how do you make the banana pancakes? Yes she LOVES corn on the cob! Think I might make some hummus tomorrow
    My sister went through a vegan stage recently and made these ( I prefer with eggs and milk but baby won't know any different yet !)

1 cup flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 Tablespoons sunflower or other vegetable oil
    1 cup almond milk ( or coconut milk)

Add milk and oil to flour and baking powder and mix - let sit for 5 mins

Cook in frypan and before flipping over add slices of banana - flip over and the other side cooks and the banana caramalises!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    My sister went through a vegan stage recently and made these ( I prefer with eggs and milk but baby won't know any different yet !)

1 cup flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 Tablespoons sunflower or other vegetable oil
    1 cup almond milk ( or coconut milk)

Add milk and oil to flour and baking powder and mix - let sit for 5 mins

Cook in frypan and before flipping over add slices of banana - flip over and the other side cooks and the banana caramalises!
    Thanks! I think these will be a winner. Cue, she won't take formula (neocate) unfortunately, but she has eaten it in food so maybe I can put it in and see how we go! Thanks guys for the quick responses- the pesto pasta sounds yummy too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A lot of bubs don't like Neocate, DD never had an issue with it (probably because it filled her up without making her sick!) so we were lucky.

DD grew out of her intolerances around 1yo after having quite nasty reactions as a bub - I hope your DD grows out of it soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Cue! It was a long, long road diagnosing it (no one believed me when I said there was something wrong) I didn't introduce formula until she was around 7 months so she was well and truly a booby lover by then! Your message gives me hope- my dd had bad reactions but she's no longer on losec for her reflux which is great, hopefully she also grows out of this soon too. If you don't mind me asking (and derailing the thread) how did you introduce dairy? I'm not sure if to try it with myself first, then her and if I should start with cooked food. I've had heaps of conflicting advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is 10 months and cmpi plus had bad reflux. She has no problems with egg... perhaps give it go. She loves things with egg like french Toast and zucchini slice.
    In terms of introducing dairy... I took a risk a bit early and introduced yogurt. I just did tastes... then a few spoonfuls.. and waited for a few hours. I did this over the course of a few days to make sure she didn't react.
    After a gradual intro she now eats a tub of yogurt no n problems. Also tried the same with cheese. She loves cheese. Though I think her cmpi was very mild.
    I made custard with her formula too. Though she hated it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app