+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice please?

Hi everyone,

I've had a few issues of late with my 4 month olds milk intake. She has been refusing feeds throughout the day and with only take 50, 80, 100 ml on occasion with the other feeds. Her weight is perfect but I am concerned that with all of this warm weather we have been having that she will become dehydrated. I've gone out today and purchased some 4+ Farex as I was hoping of maybe getting some additional fluids into her that way. She is able to sit in her bumbo and has good head control and has also watched me eat a meal with curiosity.

My main concern are the recommendations that say that starting solids before 6 months can impact digestive systems and facilitate allergies and diabetes.

What do you all think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Personally, I agree with current recommendations of close to six months, as yes, she is not physically ready for solids ( has she lost her tongue thrust , can she sit up not in a bumbo, can she pick things up)

I also think the best way to hydrate 4 month olds is with formula not processed rice cereal - if you do want to try her on solids so young maybe get advice first from a paediatrician and at least start with fresh food not packet food - but really 2 months is not long to wait and she gets all her needs from her formula, just keep offering, maybe she is just having an off day!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

JAG242  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you are worried about hydration I would offer water over solids.
    If you want yo start solids I would go with pureed pumpkin or such

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoseBetweenTheThorns For This Useful Post:

JAG242  (21-10-2013),mrsd  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree about water or formula - or diluted fruit juice - over solids for dehydration concerns.

Wondering whether your little one has sore teeth? Red cheeks, dribbling etc? This might make her disinclined to drink.

As far as current recommendations re solids go, most of my elder kids began solids around the 4 mth mark (pumpkin and apple etc - no meat) and were fine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsd For This Useful Post:

JAG242  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your thoughts. I only bought the rice cereal thinking that its made with either formula or water but really do want to wait and offer fresh food. I'm heading out tomorrow to get some professional advice as her fussiness / bottle refusal is becoming quite regular. She only ever takes a full feed at 10pm and 2am.
    Last edited by JAG242; 21-10-2013 at 21:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just also wanted to add that I have tried water in her bottle which she has also refused hence the solids.
    Last edited by JAG242; 21-10-2013 at 21:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck tomorrow. So hard to figure them out sometimes

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseBetweenTheThorns For This Useful Post:

JAG242  (21-10-2013)