View Poll Results: Do you agree with 'Mandatory Reporting'?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 94.12%
  • No

2 5.88%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Yeah because of his medical condition. Yet all were so quick to judge this poor girl and assume the worst. I'm sure if she had of been 10-20 years older and at the doctor asking wth is wrong with my child the outcome would have been different.

Growing up one of my friends was being abused in every possible way imaginable. She would come to school stinking of urine. The teacher would yell at her and make her sit outside all day. She wouldn't have food some days. Sometime she would be covered in bruises. It took til we were in year 5 for a teacher to report it and action to happen.
    Her parents were of a socially acceptable age.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Could your friend growing up simply be a sign of the times - i.e. perhaps it wasn't as likely for reports to be made back then wheras now teachers are legally required to report things like that?

I've personally met an older person, even much older than me, who had her baby taken away at birth because of drug abuse.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes I do.

However I think more needs to be done to protect women and children in violent situations. They should not fear calling the police. But children do need protecting.

The system needs tweaking, it's far from perfect, however we do need mandatory reporting IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Could your friend growing up simply be a sign of the times - i.e. perhaps it wasn't as likely for reports to be made back then wheras now teachers are legally required to report things like that?

I've personally met an older person, even much older than me, who had her baby taken away at birth because of drug abuse.
    Maybe hey? I don't know.. I just think the system is so flawed. I was even threatened with Docs when I had my first child as I struggled to breastfeed. By day 3 I was told to switch to formula or Docs would be notified. I think that was bloody unfair. I'm sure had I of been older I would have been offered breastfeeding support instead.
    I think people are just plagued with judgement about certain groups/types of people and this clouds their ability to make a factual assessment about certain situations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Absolutely agree with it. Don't understand why people would be opposed to it to be honest. If you get reported and there is no ongoing problem fight your case and move on. Mandatory reporting is there for a good reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Maybe hey? I don't know.. I just think the system is so flawed. I was even threatened with Docs when I had my first child as I struggled to breastfeed. By day 3 I was told to switch to formula or Docs would be notified. I think that was bloody unfair. I'm sure had I of been older I would have been offered breastfeeding support instead.
    I think people are just plagued with judgement about certain groups/types of people and this clouds their ability to make a factual assessment about certain situations.

That is bloody unfair, and dare I say it - weird!! I felt as though I was spoken down to when I had DS young, but I never felt any fear of being reported for doing nothing wrong thankfully.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't understand why people would be opposed to it to be honest. If you get reported and there is no ongoing problem fight your case and move on.
    So what would you say to a person who is reported by a vindictive party (you can report anonymously and the identity must be safeguarded) and that person through no fault of their own is gone through like a dose of salts and their file marked pending. Meaning that their life has a question mark over it while allegations are proven/found to be unfounded?

Have you ever tried to fight an organisation like DOCS?

That's why I see how people can disagree with the way it's done. I, too, have my doubts about the way reports are carried out but do agree that there has to be some form of reporting in place.

I also agree with this statement:

...and that perhaps those commenting otherwise have never been in a situation where you are so dangerously judged.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    So what would you say to a person who is reported by a vindictive party (you can report anonymously and the identity must be safeguarded) and that person through no fault of their own is gone through like a dose of salts and their file marked pending. Meaning that their life has a question mark over it while allegations are proven/found to be unfounded?

Have you ever tried to fight an organisation like DOCS?

That's why I see how people can disagree with the way it's done. I, too, have my doubts about the way reports are carried out but do agree that there has to be some form of reporting in place.

I also agree with this statement:

...and that perhaps those commenting otherwise have never been in a situation where you are so dangerously judged.
    Well what's your solution? Scrap mandatory reporting for the sake of a few people with cruel motives.

I agree with KG if you have nothing to fear fight your case and move on.

Looking at the big picture here.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (23-10-2013),MrJones&Me  (22-10-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ZE summed it up perfectly, 'kids before pride'

Those three words truly do get to the point.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-10-2013),MrJones&Me  (22-10-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I totally agree with mandatory reporting. I would rather be investigated and found innocent. I'm not being racist but are there different rules for indigenous?

Also, I find it hard to trust that all mandatory reporters make reports. the whole "they seem too respectable to do THAT so it must be a misunderstanding" thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    ZE summed it up perfectly, 'kids before pride'

Those three words truly do get to the point.
    This. I agree that it's an awful thing to be wrongfully accused for any reason but if you do nothing wrong you should have nothing to hide and the case will be found to have no grounds. The system is flawed, some children fall through the cracks while others are wrongfully accused, but personally I think it's better to do something than to do nothing at all. Everyone has different circumstances and a right to their opinion, it's how we grow and change.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (22-10-2013)