View Poll Results: Do you agree with 'Mandatory Reporting'?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 94.12%
  • No

2 5.88%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Judgement and assumptions were made on the basis of her age, hence why the child was removed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Thats pretty sad. But ive never seen it happen like that so I cant comment other than to say the system isnt flawless but im still glad we have a system.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with it even though the system has failed our family hugely.

I can only get a job in the force and make a difference to stop neglect

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoTi View Post
    Mandatory reporting differs from state to state & I think an understanding of what constitutes mandatory may have assisted in the last thread- I wanted to comment but was too Late before it was closed. In Victoria we (those mandated under the legislation) must make a report if we have 'a belief on reasonable grounds that a child has suffered, or is likely to suffer, significant harm as a result of physical injury or sexual abuse, & the child's parents have not protected, or are unlikely to protect the child from harm of that type'

So there is a level of discretion. Using the other thread as an example:
    1) there was no actual physical harm to the children nor sexual
    2) mum kept the kids safe & contacted police, therefore acting protectively
    3) police investigated and allowed dad to stay in the home & therefore in first instance found he was no longer a threat
    4) dads violence was medical related & dealt with promptly
    5) and from what the OP said the person who made the notification was not actually present at the home and therefore in my opinion was not the right person to make the notification.

I think if the officers followed up with mum the next day they wouldn't have been neglecting their mandatory reporting by not making a notification.

I know that it is opposite to many of your views. That being said I am absolutely in favour of mandatory reporting, but can understand why some are upset when the legislation may not be appropriately followed.
    See I was thinking about this too re the other thread. Point 4 would only have been confirmed via a follow up, as you say, but perhaps that phone call was deemed the follow up. It took a few days later because it was recognised as low risk/low priority? The process seems unclear with OP's post. I was wondering if the whole 'a desk officer reported it' was to protect the anonymity of the officer who reported. Prior to the follow up, then it could have been deemed that there was a possible (if not likely) risk to the safety of the children in the future. The police weren't to know for sure that this was indeed a one-off incident. There could have been other occasions that the wife managed to contain without needing to call the police - I know this isn't the case but the police couldn't be 100% on that. But I do see your point that perhaps it was over cautious or not quite handled in the right way. I'm all for caution, though, where kids are concerned.

I agree that it wasn't such a black and white example. The reason I was so vocal in the other thread is because I believe so strongly in the notification process, and I think there are risks associated with coming onto a forum and telling people to complain to their MP and not to call the police in the future just because a report has been made. I would think families that actually ARE in abusive/neglectful situations would feel indignant (defensive?) as well if a report is made against them, and to think that families engaging in harming their children but without sufficient evidence for authorities to act could then feel entitled to turn around and make complaints against reporters and complain to MPs didn't sit right with me. And potentially encouraging women in abusive relationships not to seek protection from law enforcement in case a report is made had me almost in tears.

What is clear from other stories that posters shared is how much time is wasted following up malicious and vengeful false reports. I wonder how many kids have suffered continued abuse while people waste their time following a dead end. So, yes, I believe absolutely in mandatory reporting, I just wish it wouldn't be abused by some.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Abso-fricking-lutely.

If you're complaining about an inconvenience in your life because someone reported you... well just be thankful the system frickking works.

Too many families AREN'T reported.

Can't believe people would actually be against it how naive & selfish.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-10-2013),Boobycino  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not so certain, and come from the other side. As a child I didn't seek help for incidents of abuse upon myself because I was aware of mandatory reporting and didn't want to be responsible for any possible consequences the perpetrator might face. Similarly when I was in an abusive marriage, I was reluctant to seek help because I thought mandatory reporting might result in my husband being punished which would put more stress on our family. Unfortunately for me, when I did risk trying to seek help, my attempt was just brushed aside. Thankfully there was no formal report made, so at least my attempt didn't just make things worse.

(FYI: The instance I am referring to above is when I went to the GP with two black eyes and asked if it were possible to get my husband into anger management classes. She said I needed to bring him in, which I did - and then she turned to him and said, "You don't really want to go to anger management classes do you?" He responded "not really" and that was the end of it.

Sent from my MEDION E4002 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Judgement and assumptions were made on the basis of her age, hence why the child was removed.

Wasn't he removed because of the bruises? This is what it sounds like to me, she may have just been sensitive about her age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    The reason I was so vocal in the other thread is because I believe so strongly in the notification process, and I think there are risks associated with coming onto a forum and telling people to complain to their MP and not to call the police in the future just because a report has been made.

And potentially encouraging women in abusive relationships not to seek protection from law enforcement in case a report is made had me almost in tears.
    This really worried me too, because I imagined people reading it and thinking "I'd better not call the police if I'm ever in a similar situation, I might end up losing my kids".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 1234Guest For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Wasn't he removed because of the bruises? This is what it sounds like to me, she may have just been sensitive about her age.
    Yeah because of his medical condition. Yet all were so quick to judge this poor girl and assume the worst. I'm sure if she had of been 10-20 years older and at the doctor asking wth is wrong with my child the outcome would have been different.

Growing up one of my friends was being abused in every possible way imaginable. She would come to school stinking of urine. The teacher would yell at her and make her sit outside all day. She wouldn't have food some days. Sometime she would be covered in bruises. It took til we were in year 5 for a teacher to report it and action to happen.
    Her parents were of a socially acceptable age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I agree with mandatory reporting. However, I think the other thread (yet another thread closed due to people not playing fair) was wildly misjudged and blown out of proportion. I think the OP of this thread has misunderstood the premise of the other thread too.

The way I read it was that the OP was concerned that legislation was not properly followed, not that it was actually done. I can see this concern has credence and understand why that OP wrote what she did.

So the question posed in this thread, in essence, is not a spin off in that it's directly related but a totally different topic altogether.

Mandatory reporting's a joke anyway. It's only put in place to make us feel safe. But it's hardly ever followed up. You should see the stuff that happens on the Fraser Coast. There's a good reason why Hervey Bay is considered "child protection central". Things just aren't followed up or followed through and children's services is always "too overloaded to do anything".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im sorry your friend seemed to slip through the cracks. I hope they haven't been left too badly affected advd are living a normal life away from that now.
    However, Is it possible that mandated reporting was not in then? Its only "new" legislation really and is being constantly updated with more professions becoming required all the time.

I know when I first started in childcare we were NOT legally mandated to report if we thought something was amiss, but, ethically, and under duty of care we should have, but under child protection stance, not actually required too. we were given a time frame where we would become mandated, however I changed states so I'm not sure... this was less than 10yrs ago. I'm sure now they would be.

Just trying to offer another perspective

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app