View Poll Results: Do you agree with 'Mandatory Reporting'?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 94.12%
  • No

2 5.88%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Can I ask a question at the risk of being ridiculed??

If you were reported and quite obviously the allegations were false would it actually have an impact on your life??
    I was wondering about this. For example, if someone had a record with DoCS that was due to a false allegation and then they wanted to become a foster carer, would the report negatively affect their chances?

A friend of mine and her husband were accepted to become foster carers and she said the process was very thorough in regards to background checks etc, so I imagine a file with DoCS would be one of the first things that'd show up.

In answer to the OP's question: Yes, I support it 100%.
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 22-10-2013 at 06:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I'm sure it works fantastically in theory, but the reality of it is, it's probably just to another way to judge and make assumptions about people.
    I liken it to working in retail (but on a far more serious level obviously), the customers bags that always get checked or the customers that get stalked around the store are too often deemed shoplifters on apperance alone. Just because some looks a bit rough, or doesn't wear makeup, or whatever, doesn't make them a bad person.

Reports need to be factual and not based on personal feelings about someone/their appearance/age/etc.
    I think the system is incredibly flawed. I know a young mother dobbed in on the basis of age. She did nothing wrong and it took a long time to get her child back. I know an older mother, long term drug user, history of neglect, etc. Who had very little trouble getting her kids back, and fooling Docs into believing everything had change for the better.
    If people weren't so judgemental, maybe reports and outcomes would be different?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    100% support it

I have been questioned by authorities due to my DS when he was 11 months old and whilst at the time I was angry etc, a few days later I was glad they asked me, because it meant they were interested in the welfare of my child and they were doing their job.

I have worked in child care and have had to report on a child and thank god I did and the child was removed from her parent.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I wholeheartedly agree with mandatory reporting. Its so much better to it be a big misunderstanding than to not report and a child be in danger

Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Can I ask a question at the risk of being ridiculed??

If you were reported and quite obviously the allegations were false would it actually have an impact on your life??
    That being said, we were reported to the police by our old next door neighbours because we reported them to the council for their barking dogs. The police came into our house, saw a clean house with happy healthy thriving kids and they said it was clearly a false report and that we shouldnt worry, clearly our children were fine.

However I suffer from Generalised Anxiety Disorder. So it completely destroyed me having that happen. Now every single time I discipline my kids by slightly raising my voice or if they get hurt and need to go to the doctor etc I have huge anxiety attacks over it. Im seeing a psychologist about it but it's proving incredibly difficult to overcome. We have a loving home, my kids are well cared for and looked after, they are my whole life, ive been assured by a friend who works as a social worker for Docs that I have absolutely nothing to worry about, yet at least once a day I find myself close to tears and absolutely terrified my kids might be taken away from me, no matter how irrational those thoughts are.

Oh and E.T.A - this happened over 18 months ago and I am still struggling with it every day.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I'm sure it works fantastically in theory, but the reality of it is, it's probably just to another way to judge and make assumptions about people.
    I liken it to working in retail (but on a far more serious level obviously), the customers bags that always get checked or the customers that get stalked around the store are too often deemed shoplifters on apperance alone. Just because some looks a bit rough, or doesn't wear makeup, or whatever, doesn't make them a bad person.

Reports need to be factual and not based on personal feelings about someone/their appearance/age/etc.
    I think the system is incredibly flawed. I know a young mother dobbed in on the basis of age. She did nothing wrong and it took a long time to get her child back. I know an older mother, long term drug user, history of neglect, etc. Who had very little trouble getting her kids back, and fooling Docs into believing everything had change for the better.
    If people weren't so judgemental, maybe reports and outcomes would be different?

Are you saying that someone had their child removed simply because of their age? I would have to say that there would be a whole lot more to the story then that. Removing a child is a difficult and lengthy process.

Although I'm sure there may be a minority of mandatory reporters that let their personal feelings drive their decision to report, the guidelines and rules for reporting are very clear. You cannot report someone based on their appearance.

Without mandatory reporting, many people would simply not get involved.

Whilst the system may not be perfect, it's something that is a complete necessity.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (22-10-2013),Secret of Cleo  (22-10-2013),VicPark  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read all the replies, and I have never really thought a lot about this, but I did read the previous thread which was closed. Although I definitely feel for the OP of the previous thread, I do see why it was reported.

In my opinion, I agree with mandatory reporting, I have the same views on this as a few other posters where I'd rather see a few false accusations than let 1 family slip through the cracks. Too many slip through the cracks as it is.

Although I have never been through this (being falsely accused or accused at all) of abuse etc, if I were falsely accused or questioned I would see it as people doing their job and looking out for my child / family. I can't say I would take offense to it at all. I know myself and I know DH and I are good parents so I don't feel the need to get defensive or upset about it. (Pls don't take that the wrong way, just trying to explain how *I* feel)

There are too many families who are reported time and time again and it ends up with a death of a child or even adult and while I agree the system is not perfect, I think mandatory reporting needs to happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    Are you saying that someone had their child removed simply because of their age? I would have to say that there would be a whole lot more to the story then that. Removing a child is a difficult and lengthy process.

Although I'm sure there may be a minority of mandatory reporters that let their personal feelings drive their decision to report, the guidelines and rules for reporting are very clear. You cannot report someone based on their appearance.

Whilst the system may not be perfect, it's something that is a complete necessity.
    Pretty much. The child had epilepsy, he was always covered in bruises, the mother was seeking answers from the GP. Assumptions were made, the child was removed from her care. It was a battle for her to get him back. It did all eventually come out as to how the bruises came to be and she was not in anyway shape or form abusing him.

What a horrible and distressing process for the mother and child!

These sort of stories are all too common unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fully support it. As long as the system is used properly ie. Report the facts of what you know and what has been seen by you and not let personal judgements get in the way. I am a mandatory reporter and would (and have) report anything that rings alarm bells to me, even if parents may seem like the most perfect loving parents or may seem like the opposite. If there is something that you are worried about it needs to be reported and if it turns out to be nothing then it was better to be safe than sorry. I would not judge families/parents/children over the report, I would simply report what I know and let the authorities deal with it the way they need to. I would rather the system save one child from being harmed in any way than worry about embarrassing people or investigating something that turns out to be nothing.
    I would rather have a report made against me and know that there are people looking out for my kid and be confident in knowing that I am a good parent who has done nothing wrong than my child be at risk in any way from someone and people being to afraid to report it. Yes it would be embarrassing if a report was made when it isn't needed, but as I said before better safe than sorry

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMoosey For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post

No you cant. When I report through work in my field its a 5 page document and it requires evidence to be attached. I know thats not the same for a teacher or child care worker but its the proceedure in my field.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    No you cant. When I report through work in my field its a 5 page document and it requires evidence to be attached. I know thats not the same for a teacher or child care worker but its the proceedure in my field.

Judgement and assumptions were made on the basis of her age, hence why the child was removed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast