View Poll Results: Do you agree with 'Mandatory Reporting'?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 94.12%
  • No

2 5.88%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    100% for it. Kids come before pride

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (22-10-2013),atomicmama  (23-10-2013),Atropos  (22-10-2013),giggle berry  (22-10-2013),Mokeybear  (22-10-2013),Pmakes3  (22-10-2013),Purple Lily  (22-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm all for it. I understand that sometimes innocent people get reported and that sucks, but I'd much rather that than someone get seriously hurt or killed because someone didn't report a situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Isn't the purpose of mandatory reporting to report a situation so child services can check it out? If you have a situation at your home reported, it's not like you get a criminal record - is it? If all it means is a note somewhere on a confidential child services file, who cares? I'd have thought people would put their kids' safety above any discomfort they may feel over a situation being wrongly reported. Better safe than sorry.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funchu For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-10-2013),Miados2007  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, 100%.

My step children were removed from my MILs care....It sucks, it hurts that we were in no position to help them out at the time (1BR unit and unable to upgrade)...but it was definately best for them to be removed!! Now, they are so settled into their life it would be overly cruel to disrupt them and move them to us in a different state.

I know that my (then) 12mnth old DSS isnt going to be given any more sips of a UDL Can - because he was reaching for it, so he obviously wanted it, or at 4 weeks be passed from MIL to birth mother by gripping the buttons of his wondersuit and just dangled in the air...because it was easier than walking across the room.

DSD was almost 3 and had no language, no social skills, hadnt had any health checkups, no immunisations, and once CP came into the scene, was assessed to be functioning at about a 16mnth old level.... They werent seeking help, or even attempting to help her. Im happy to say that since being removed she is THRIVING!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my God shadow. Those poor little mites I'm glad the children are now in a safe nurturing environment.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can I ask a question at the risk of being ridiculed??

If you were reported and quite obviously the allegations were false would it actually have an impact on your life??

I only ask as when my DS2 spilt his head open and needed stitches I was asked by several staff at the hospital what happened.

When he returned to daycare again many staff there questioned me about the incident. They were all very caring but as I'm a teacher myself who has a duty of care to report when I suspect any abuse or mistreatment of children I was well aware of the reason behind their questioning.

It didn't bother me in the slightest - In fact it reassured me that they were upholding their own duty of care. But for a fleeting moment it did cross my mind that I could be reported. I felt confident though that if that were the case any person could come into my home and see that my children come from a loving, supportive home.

I can imagine things wouldn't escalate unless there was a reason for it. Just like the OP in the original thread - she questioned it and seems to have had it dealt with. No children were removed, no huge investigations - just a report because of a single incident.

Another poster was saying about how it tore their family apart and you wouldn't understand unless you'd walked a mile in her shoes and I tend to agree ... But part of me thinks I can't imagine that would happen unless there was some reason for it??

I'll be the first to admit I'm quite clueless as to the process involved beyond me reporting suspicions - but even if I myself was reported I really believe it wouldn't go any further as our life, home, routine, behaviour all reflect that there is no harm happening within the walls of our place.

Am I naive in thinking that there must be something alarming to have it go beyond 'just a report' to some kind of action being taken??

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (22-10-2013),ExcitedMummyxxx  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingchipmunk View Post
    Oh my God shadow. Those poor little mites I'm glad the children are now in a safe nurturing environment.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Me too its hard being so far away now, but they definately didnt deserve what was happening, and were unable to speak for themselves They are just a few instances, i seen many....and made a few calls from work I Feel awful, but they needed protecting, and there were others reporting too....because CP Were on the scene before i was in the picture anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Can I ask a question at the risk of being ridiculed??

If you were reported and quite obviously the allegations were false would it actually have an impact on your life??

Am I naive in thinking that there must be something alarming to have it go beyond 'just a report' to some kind of action being taken??
    No ridicule here, basically, if theres a report and its nothing *major* (e.g. your 3yo was seen walking outside in the pouring rain without shoes) its just recorded, and you may not ever know about it!

If theres something that rings alarm bells...you would get a visit from them, and from there they could find that things are fine, it was a once of/misunderstanding, it could go a few visits, you could be asked to attend parenting classes, appointments with professionals (maybe if its an alcohol related incident, may need to work on giving it up, as an example)... They MAY take it to court to get an order of some kind, which could be anything from just giving them powers to visit in your home regularly, or more severe like you MUST take the child to XYZ, or, in the WORST cases, the child will be removed.

On a day to day basis, it doesnt really affect your life. I mean, people dont really know unless you say it. You may have to attend appointments, and may have CP visits.

But once its over and done with, you dont see them, you dont hear from them....and go on living like nothing happened.

ETA: I Guess its like anything, you have 2 choices, accept it and be cooperative, or refuse to accept it, and make things difficult for them to do their job.
    But i think if you have nothing to hide, let them do their job so that they can move on and attend to those who are really at risk!
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 21-10-2013 at 23:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    as a mandatory reporter I 110% agree. (When I was working I'm currently a sahm!)
    Last edited by Pmakes3; 22-10-2013 at 00:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. 150% agree. I have not read the thread yet but why would you not agree?
    My experience with it has been largely in small remote communities and there is the issue that if you are the only nurse in a the community and you report it your safety can be in danger as people know it was the nurse that reported it. Generally if you have suspicions you do discuss it with the mother/carer and you let them know you are have to report. I am thinking of sexual abuse in these cases though.
    I do think sometimes it is a very grey area when it come to sexually active teenagers but it is good there is a clear guide that can be followed.
    Not sure where this threads at so sorry if this is out of the blue!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    As an early childhood educator, I have to report any suspicions as it is my duty of care, I don't judge parents or carers, I never assume what is happening, I simply state what I've seen/heard and then leave it up the the proper authorities to deal how they see fit.

I've also been reported and yes it's upsetting when someone says that you've done something awful to a child but as long as you know that 100% you haven't put a child at risk then I don't see how it could affect someone more deeply than that. I understand people deal with certain situations differently but personally I ensured that I was heard in my defence and seeing it from a different perspective always helps me through tough situations.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast