View Poll Results: Do you agree with 'Mandatory Reporting'?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 94.12%
  • No

2 5.88%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's not just children too. I am bound by mandatory reporting legislation in my profession in aged care. Same goes for disability. Any vulnerable group really. And trust me abuse happens to the elderly and disabled every day in Australia, it's just less 'media-worthy' than child abuse...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (21-10-2013),Miados2007  (21-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mandatory reporting differs from state to state & I think an understanding of what constitutes mandatory may have assisted in the last thread- I wanted to comment but was too Late before it was closed. In Victoria we (those mandated under the legislation) must make a report if we have 'a belief on reasonable grounds that a child has suffered, or is likely to suffer, significant harm as a result of physical injury or sexual abuse, & the child's parents have not protected, or are unlikely to protect the child from harm of that type'

So there is a level of discretion. Using the other thread as an example:
    1) there was no actual physical harm to the children nor sexual
    2) mum kept the kids safe & contacted police, therefore acting protectively
    3) police investigated and allowed dad to stay in the home & therefore in first instance found he was no longer a threat
    4) dads violence was medical related & dealt with promptly
    5) and from what the OP said the person who made the notification was not actually present at the home and therefore in my opinion was not the right person to make the notification.

I think if the officers followed up with mum the next day they wouldn't have been neglecting their mandatory reporting by not making a notification.

I know that it is opposite to many of your views. That being said I am absolutely in favour of mandatory reporting, but can understand why some are upset when the legislation may not be appropriately followed.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoJoTi For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (22-10-2013),MissMuppet  (21-10-2013),RipperRita  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes definitely. Without mandatory reports there would often not be enough evidence to convince a magistrate to allow a child to be removed from a harmful situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Totally support it.

I'm another of the 'rather get it wrong than let 1 child slip through the crack' people.

I would be shocked if it happened to us, but I understand that to someone outside the situation it may appear that something has happened.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    110%

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoTi View Post
    Mandatory reporting differs from state to state & I think an understanding of what constitutes mandatory may have assisted in the last thread- I wanted to comment but was too Late before it was closed. In Victoria we (those mandated under the legislation) must make a report if we have 'a belief on reasonable grounds that a child has suffered, or is likely to suffer, significant harm as a result of physical injury or sexual abuse, & the child's parents have not protected, or are unlikely to protect the child from harm of that type'

So there is a level of discretion. Using the other thread as an example:
    1) there was no actual physical harm to the children nor sexual
    2) mum kept the kids safe & contacted police, therefore acting protectively
    3) police investigated and allowed dad to stay in the home & therefore in first instance found he was no longer a threat
    4) dads violence was medical related & dealt with promptly
    5) and from what the OP said the person who made the notification was not actually present at the home and therefore in my opinion was not the right person to make the notification.

I think if the officers followed up with mum the next day they wouldn't have been neglecting their mandatory reporting by not making a notification.

I know that it is opposite to many of your views. That being said I am absolutely in favour of mandatory reporting, but can understand why some are upset when the legislation may not be appropriately followed.
    JoJoTi, thank you for that.... There's always more to any given situation than meets the eye! It's a shame you couldn't comment in the other thread (which was quite alarming) before it was closed, as your analysis of the other OP's situation in relation to whether a report would have been 'mandatory', would've been helpful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I do. I myself have made reports in my professional life many many times. I work with a lot of mandatory reporters and have seen them make reports that I myself would not have. But, I think mandatory reporting needs to be in place because not everyone who comes across children and families at risk is trained to assess risk to the same level as a child protection worker, so mandatory reporting removes the uncertainty factor for them. This certainly means that people are reported who have no child protection issues, but it also means that less kids fall through the cracks because someone was not sure what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I still feel like sh!t after reading a distressing story about a child who was recently found in a pretty poor state. I won't go into details because it's one of those haunting stories that not everyone wants to hear (I sort of wish I hadn't) but the thought that he could have been left to live in the conditions that he was with nobody to advocate for his rights makes me feel like there is just no hope left.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I still feel like sh!t after reading a distressing story about a child who was recently found in a pretty poor state. I won't go into details because it's one of those haunting stories that not everyone wants to hear (I sort of wish I hadn't) but the thought that he could have been left to live in the conditions that he was with nobody to advocate for his rights makes me feel like there is just no hope left.
    And you know what? People go to extraordinary lengths to cover **** like this up too. So imagine if no such thing as mandatory reporting existed as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely. I didn't see the other thread, but cannot think of a good enough reason not to have it. Before becoming a mother it's not something I even would have given any thought to, but since becoming a mother something has changed and I want all children, in fact all people, to feel loved and safe. Children can't speak for themselves, they can't leave a situation if they feel unsafe, someone else needs to speak up and act on their behalf. From reading this, the other thread sounds distressing.