View Poll Results: Do you agree with 'Mandatory Reporting'?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 94.12%
  • No

2 5.88%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes 100%

Additionally, I wish it was easier/less time consuming to report!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Totes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I absolutely agree with mandatory reporting. Having a system in place that requires people to report incidents that may require intervention is a must for the children who cannot speak for themselves.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, because without the 'mandatory' people are more likely to not report where the parents are well spoken, well educated and charming and situations can be misleading. Sometimes parents who appear 'perfect' are abusive behind closed doors. Then there are situations where a parent with power and influence could intimidate workers into not reporting.

If its mandatory then people are less susceptible to the pressure to 'not report'.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (21-10-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (22-10-2013),Gandalf  (21-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As I said in the previous post I am a mandatory reporter. Its a tough gig. The system isnt flawless.

But if I have reported an innocent person, sorry. But I would rather get it wrong than miss the one that falls through the cracks as in my job that would mean missing something that would result in a circumstance like those poor twins dying a few years back of malnutrition.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes there's a definite need for it.
    I'm one of the peeps who has to if I see something needing to report. Luckily I haven't yet

Single mummy to a wonderful DS (Born 11/12/2008)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I do agree with it, yes. But I also acknowledge that there are often many factors at play. That said, I do believe that anything that may pose a risk to children should be investigated. I do also acknowledge this may place stress or cause embarrassment to innocent families- but I think the risk of NOT investigating all issues outweighs this.
    Someone said in the other thread that the authorities only care about the children in these situations. Can I just say, the reason for this is that children generally don't have a say in where they live or what happens around them. Adults have a choice when it comes to leaving volatile situations. I know it's not as cut and dry as that but that is the basic fact of the matter. Adults can leave, adults can reach out to authorities and services to get help leaving. It's a lot harder for little children who essentially have no choice. And often, victims of family violence won't leave until they are ready to do so, despite being offered help from the police etc. the system is far from perfect, I acknowledge that- but it's what we have and many dedicated people work every day trying to help these families.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (21-10-2013),ExcitedMummyxxx  (21-10-2013),Gandalf  (21-10-2013),Lillac  (21-10-2013),Miados2007  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely. I remember watching a documentary earlier this year about the history of abuse in boarding schools in the UK. It turned out that teacher/principals/school nurses knew about the abuse but didn't report it, when the a users were caught, they still weren't reported to the police. The boys had gone to other teachers/counsellors/school nurses and confided, who then went to the principal. Fearing the backlash of media/parents etc the principal handled it 'in house' by asking the abuser to resign but never reporting it to the authorities. The abuser went on to teach at other boarding schools and continue to abuse children. When the police found out decades later after one of the boys told their parents, that first principal never got charged for not coming forward even though he had evidence. Because of him the rapist continued for decades.

There is no mandatory reporting in the UK and the documentary raised the point that if there were ramifications for people in positions of power and trust NOT reporting there might not be this ingrained problem in boarding schools. If this principal knew that he could get charged for not reporting suspicious of abuse he may have decided to come forward. If not then possibly one of the teachers who alerted him might have.

Who knows?

But I think mandatory reporting is a good thing.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (21-10-2013),MissMuppet  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Absolutely yes. We need to do everything in our power to protect the most vulnerable members of our society. The system may not be perfect but it's one I believe in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I do agree with mandatory reporting because sometimes those too close to the situation can't see what is really happening, or are unable to act out of fear...or for so many other reasons.

I don't know what happens when a report has been investigated and the matter cleared but I would hope in that situation any records would reflect that.

ETA, I would naturally hate to be reported and have my parenting and our lifestyle scrutinised because I haven't done anything wrong, but I would think my short term embarrasment/inconvenience would be a small price to pay if the system effectively protects even one little life.
    Perfectly said!