+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default CTG monitoring on arrival

I'm expecting a baby in March and the hospital I'm delivering at has a policy of 20mins on electronic monitoring on arrival whilst in labour. I'm very keen to keep active during labour and I'm concerned how painful it would be being stuck to the bed while being monitored.

Has anyone ever refused monitoring on arrival? I'm happy to have intermittent monitoring with a Doppler.

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't have any monitoring when we got to hospital. It was around 45 mins before we went around to delivery, and the MW just used the doppler

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this is old, but as you aren't dud till March thought if throw in my 2 cents.
    Monitoring on arrival saved my DD1's life. It aided in detecting her heart fluctuations and eventually her cord prolapse.
    Personally I didn't find contractions unbearable till transitioning and there is a high chance you'll be there at hospital earlier than that. Many also have remote monitors now so you can still pace within reason (I had this for my entire VBAC with dd2).
    Just another perspective for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my baby in Sept and I had the CTG on arrival, and then for about the last 2 hrs of my labour due to bub's heart rate dropping at times.
    I tried to be active throughout my labour, and when the CTG went on, yes I was on the bed but I sat straight up or sat on the edge of the bed. I found lying down more painful but by being upright that helped a lot. That 20 minute CTG goes so fast, and I found it mentally very reassuring to have a normal CTG when I arrived and know bub was coping well with the contractions.
    Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy.