Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    I find this disgusting and I'm sorry you had to go through it I know a family who are very abusive and have even seen the dad throw the 2 yo against the security screen and winded her...yet NOTHING gets done and they are reported over and over again. Police need to define a decent family asking for ONE OFF help. This type of scenario turns ppl off asking for help. Unless they have been there, no-one knows how unhelpful and unfair the police can be at times. My Brother successfully has a DVO on me....yet my brother molested me...go figure???
    I suspect there would be no proof on this family, and people notifying, unless they take the stand, does not constitute proof. DoCS have to present proof to a judge in order to be allowed to remove. That can be hard to get. Chances are CP knows this family very well but just can't get hard evidence like bruises or a child telling them their parents are abusing them. They can't just take a child based on a hunch or a random notifying. Believe it or not, false allegations are somewhat common. Custody cases, warring neighbours or family members.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm so sorry you went through all of that. I agree with Delirium - these things need to be reported.

Please be assured that if the only thing on "record" is a report, and no action was taken, then it is completely confidential and the only people who will ever see/know it are child protection practitioners. It is not a criminal charge, it is not available to employers or anyone else. You are basically in the same position as someone who was reported and it was found that the report was completely false - the record will still be there but nothing will come of it without further incident.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    Police need to define a decent family asking for ONE OFF help.
    How on earth can they do this? Its a serious question, not a smart ar$e one. They just could not define it. What about the murder in Victoria that resulted in the law being changed so that the defence of provocation was revoked. It was a supposedly decent bloke who murdered his wife. If the police had attended any incident at their home they would have seen an ordinary 'decent' husband and wife have having a minor domestic. A decent family could not, nor should it ever, be defined by the police.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (21-10-2013),Ashram  (21-10-2013),atomicmama  (21-10-2013),Atropos  (21-10-2013),babyla  (21-10-2013),blissfulfairy  (21-10-2013),Ellewood  (21-10-2013),Gandalf  (21-10-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (21-10-2013),snowqu33n  (21-10-2013),twotrunks  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I suspect there would be no proof on this family, and people notifying, unless they take the stand, does not constitute proof. DoCS have to present proof to a judge in order to be allowed to remove. That can be hard to get. Chances are CP knows this family very well but just can't get hard evidence like bruises or a child telling them their parents are abusing them. They can't just take a child based on a hunch or a random notifying. Believe it or not, false allegations are somewhat common. Custody cases, warring neighbours or family members.
    Sorry but your suspicion is incorrect. Housing is doing there best to get rid of them because they are endangering the residents with threats. The police always drive by as complaints are weekly of violent fights. Yet still, the kids remain in their custody???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    How on earth can they do this? Its a serious question, not a smart ar$e one. They just could not define it. What about the murder in Victoria that resulted in the law being changed so that the defence of provocation was revoked. It was a supposedly decent bloke who murdered his wife. If the police had attended any incident at their home they would have seen an ordinary 'decent' husband and wife have having a minor domestic. A decent family could not, nor should it ever, be defined by the police.
    I'm not going to get into this because this affects me big time. But unless you have asked for help for a one off thing and had it turned into a nightmare, then you've got no idea.
    Don't quote me again please. I don't need the stress and am here to support the OP.
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 21-10-2013 at 15:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im sorry you have gone through this but why do you think your family is above the law? Things have to be reported for a reason. The police weren't to know you were telling the truth about your husband being effected by medication and know it was a once off. For all they knew you were talking crap to protect your abuser.
    To say you will never call the police again is quite childish, they were just doing their job.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    It's called *mandatory* notification for a reason. Those of us who are mandated notifiers simply do not have a choice. It is an offence for us not to report, and we cannot simply give the benefit of the doubt. I have had to make some heartbreaking notifications involving families that I care about deeply. I have also had my anonymity compromised while working in the lands with the result being my house broken into and trashed and being followed around and threatened by extended family for weeks and weeks. The confidentiality of the reporter is fundamental to the system working as it should.

I'm not sure I understand the basis on which you filed a complaint. I am of the opinion that you can never be too cautious in these situations. But I will add that notification can also involve at risk children rather than children where abuse or neglect is definitely occurring. More often than not these notifications remain in the system unchecked unless there are repeated calls over a period of time. I certainly hope that you would call the police again if you needed to.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (21-10-2013),blissfulfairy  (21-10-2013),BoxCat  (21-10-2013),Gandalf  (21-10-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It sad Caviar, your family are obviously one of the ones that slipped through the cracks. But as others have said, I can understand why they reported it. They probably hear those type of things all the time "it has never happened before" type things.

It isn't fair that it happened to you though, so good on you for fighting for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    But the police did the right thing, how would that turn people off asking for help? If they don't report because they think it's a one off, imagine how many people that need to be reported wouldn't be.
    Last edited by V8; 31-10-2013 at 13:22. Reason: removinq quote

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    But the police did the right thing, how would that turn people off asking for help? If they don't report because they think it's a one off, imagine how many people that need to be reported wouldn't be.
    I have already asked not to be quoted on this. There is NO point trying to explain when you have never been there before. OK I am supporting the OP and I am not posting to answer others who obviously never been in this situation.