+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate Aldi. I can never do a full shop there because they do not have everything we like. Some of there stuff doesn't taste very good and I wouldn't buy their fruit or veggies, bad quality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hate aldi
    I just don't find it cheap at all compared to the brands I normally buy( often no name Coles brand) and I find the aldi quality is rubbish. Some things are ok, ok at best. Some are bloody terrible. So compared to buying cheaper brands at Coles as I normally do aldi is a waste of time bring dearer and less good.
    They don't even have half of what I need
    And the fresh stuff is rubbish! And I've been to 4 different ones all total crapola
    Hate the place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We shop at Aldi but I can't and don't buy everything there.

I buy these things:

Most tinned stuff (tomatoes, corn, tuna etc)
    Milk
    Cheese
    Bread
    Eggs (free range)
    Dishwash powder
    Dish washing liquid
    Bin liners
    Tissues
    Toilet paper
    Paper towels
    Toothpaste
    Toothbrushes
    Sandwich bags
    Freezer bags
    Washing powder
    Fabric softener
    Their version of milo
    Coffee
    A few brand items like Vegemite etc
    Chocolate
    Biscuits
    Weetbix and other cereals
    Baby food (the squeezy bags)
    Biscuits
    Lollies
    Bottled water
    Juice
    Crushed garlic
    Frozen meals (fish pieces, chicken Kiev etc, frozen peas, corn, ice cream, chips etc)
    Lamb chops
    Rump steak (only use this or casseroles or beef strog etc)
    Chicken
    Cream
    Salmon
    Swim nappies
    Shower gel
    Hand wash
    Body soap
    Razor blades (DH likes them)
    Nappy bags (although my local doesnt seem to do these anymore), wish they did as they r great!
    Chips and dips
    Crackers
    Nuts etc
    Tinned fruit
    Pasta sauce

The stuff I don't buy for various reasons:

Mince - too fatty for my liking
    Any other cuts if steak for BBQ - fussy about my meat
    Fruit and veg - only because the variety isn't as good as my local veg place right next door but before that we used to buy from Aldi
    Potatoes - I find my local Aldi potatoes turned green very quickly
    Nappies - gave DS Bad rash as a baby but a lot of people swear by them
    Wipes - I only use curash for DS as any others give him a rash
    Shampoo and conditioner - doesnt suit my hair

There are a lot of things we haven't tried yet though.

Our general every day stuff comes from there and they are quite good for most items, and yes MUCH cheaper than Coles or woollies!!

I would definitely give them a try!

We have also bought a number of electric or 'other' items which we have been very impressed with

I.e kids stuff - books, toys, clothes etc
    BBQ like a webber - awesome and much cheaper!
    Kitchen scales
    Coffee machine
    I can't think of what else right now but there is more

Hope this helps!

Ps a PP said they had seen mouldy fruit and veg etc in Aldi, I am sure that happens a lot, however in my local area I've only ever seen badly mouldy fruit and veg at Coles and woollies yuck!
    I think this type of thing happens in most stores unfortunately. An normally still being sold at full price!
    Last edited by SAgirl; 21-10-2013 at 13:11.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Atropos;7507400
    I read recently that their premade lasagne a etc has even found to contain horse meat [/QUOTE]

My understanding was that was in Europe and the manufacturer had done it, not directed to by Aldi. Anyway. I am a full Aldi shopper and have been for about 18 months, I started off with just staples and now buy pretty much everything there. I need to go to the health food shop every couple of months for things Aldi does not sell and occasionally I will need to go to a grocer for an unusual type of veg for a recipe or something but aside from that, everything is from Aldi. I have never had a problem with the meat or fruit and veg (or flowers $5 a bunch, last for over a week!). I don't buy imported fruit or veg so always check that is it Australian grown. I don't buy processed stuff (like aforementioned lasagne) and have found their range is increasing all the time (they even sell coconut water now!). I did a woollies shop one week a while ago and nearly died at how much it cost. There is less choice than Coles or Woollies, but I have found the staples are there, I cook from scratch and can pretty much get everything I need (except Tofu!).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty much the same as you SAgirl

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting experiences ladies!
    I'm the same with you SAgirl, we mostly bought staples, cleaning products, personal care products etc. But I think I'm going to go elsewhere for my fruit, veg & meat. We normally spend about $220-$250 pw on groceries (give of take cleaning products/personal hygiene products), but it only cost us $114 at aldi, even without spending extra on meat, it still was great to see a difference in all the other items we generally buy weekly.

The only thing I don't like is how they pack everything in so tightly, and there was a huge line at the two cash registers that were open. I have no issue with packing our own bags, but it felt so rushed with no room for items at the cash register after it had been scanned, after you had paid for everything.
    DP was complaining the whole time how everyone in the store was so rude pushing past without an excuse me or something, but I noticed that too. Maybe everyone was in a bad mood because we were all squished in there like sardines? hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love it. We drive a little further for it, but the aisles are spaced better,I generally find it less hectic and annoying. the cost just cannot be beaten. There are only a few things I don't like / can't get so it isn't too bad. The meat is fine. The fruit and veg is hit and miss. If it is good, I get it. If it yuck, I stop at the fruit shop on the way home.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ^^ Lol. My DP went there yesterday to pick up some baby wipes for me, and he said the place reminded him of a human cattle facility and freaked him out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterIsComing View Post
    DP and I decided to start shopping at ALDI last weekend instead of coles/woolies to try and help our grocery bills.

Do you shop there?
    Do you find its cheaper than woolies or coles?
    What products would you recommend?
    What should we stay clear of?

We didn't buy meat from there this week as we already had a bit in the freezer at home. Is the meat any good?

TIA!
    They have a stain remover spray in a blue bottle for $1.99 that's seriously amazing! It gets all of the stains out of DDs clothes!!

Also the coffee machine & pods

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

mumwants3  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterIsComing View Post
    Interesting experiences ladies!
    I'm the same with you SAgirl, we mostly bought staples, cleaning products, personal care products etc. But I think I'm going to go elsewhere for my fruit, veg & meat. We normally spend about $220-$250 pw on groceries (give of take cleaning products/personal hygiene products), but it only cost us $114 at aldi, even without spending extra on meat, it still was great to see a difference in all the other items we generally buy weekly.

The only thing I don't like is how they pack everything in so tightly, and there was a huge line at the two cash registers that were open. I have no issue with packing our own bags, but it felt so rushed with no room for items at the cash register after it had been scanned, after you had paid for everything.
    DP was complaining the whole time how everyone in the store was so rude pushing past without an excuse me or something, but I noticed that too. Maybe everyone was in a bad mood because we were all squished in there like sardines? hehe
    Also have you tried the fruit shop next to Laurimar Woolies? Their fruit is really good & cheap!!

Also Aldi chocolate is good