+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I go to Aldi for nappies and wipes. Sometimes I will get biscuits.

I find most of their products to be inferior though, especially fresh produce. I have gone to buy bread a few times only to find mould, bleugh. There was once a huge crate of packaged naan bread that they were trying to get rid of near the checkouts, full of mould. The 'fresh' flowers for $5 always look at least one week old, wilted and dying. The fruit and veg...don't get me started. So much rotten produce. I have shopped at Aldi in a few different cities that I have lived in, and they have all been the same.

There are savings to be had, sure. I prefer to spend a bit extra and get a decent product though. Their nappies and wipes are great, however I don't think i'll ever go back once the kids are out of nappies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never done a 'full shop' at Aldi, but I do go there on average once a week to pick up a few items.

I really like their lite cottage cheese, rice crackers, flavoured tuna, little snack packs of cheese with crackers, sesame snaps & wholegrain wraps. Their nappies and wipes are pretty good too.

I haven't dabbled in their meat section much at all.

Aldi is definitely cheaper than Woollies or Coles. I always get surprised at the checkout with how much I get for my money.

What I dislike about Aldi is that they have no hand baskets, the checkouts are frequently congested (and there's no express lane for those with just a few items), and I just don't find it a pleasant shopping experience all round!

But I keep coming back for the affordable goodies

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never done a full shop at Aldi, but happily use their nappies & wipes. Also find they have a good range of children's wooden toys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by #Mama View Post
    We love Aldi and do our shopping there. We supplement that with Costco shops every few weeks for bulk brand name stuff.
    I buy their meat happily, I think it's pretty good. The quality of the fruit and veg does vary a lot from store to store.
    Our local is great. If you're particular about brands - Aldi is not going to be for you.
    Their steaks, sausages, pork etc are good. We find that our weekly shops there are SO much cheaper than Coles. I think this is partly due to the fact that they have less random foods that you can be tempted by when shopping. It's fairly basic foods......although their "fancy brand" triple chocolate ice cream is TO DIE FOR.

There was a big write up recently about them using horse meat in some of their pre-prepared frozen foods like lasagna etc. I breathed a big sign of relief when I read it as we don't buy that stuff. And we WON'T be buying it any time soon! Ha ha.
    I'll see if I can find the article and link it.

Edit to add link: http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-beef-products
    Ew, so glad I've never bought that stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    maybe depends on which store, but I always find their bread really fresh. Also a lot of them get local produce - fruit etc every Thursday, so don't go on a tues/wed or you'll be left with the rubbish left overs... just ask at your local store so you can come in on the right day for the fresher fruit/veg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i only went into aldi twice..first time i left as per above ..no express lane and 3 ppl in front of me with huge trolleys...

second time i got those squeezie yoghurts....they were on sale...i know why..cos at least half of them were off. i have never gotten an off one from coles or woolies so it really turned me off the whole aldi thing ...hence havent been back as made me really suss about thier products...i dont have the time or patience to shop at different supermarkets...its just not convenient for me to get a few staples from there even tho ive heard those things are fine. like PP said ..it wasnt an enjoyable shopping experience either...long queue's, limited choices, having to go elsewhere to get other things too..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't shop regularly (too much hassle to go to Coles and aldi) but I like most of the meat.

I buy toilet cleaner, softener, garbage bags, plastic freezer bags from there. Also their handwash is pretty good.

I used to buy their veggies but now I shop at a fruit market as they can be hit and miss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find their fruit, vegetables, meat and breads to be awful. I hate that they have no hand baskets, check out lines are always really long. I rarely go there. If I do go its to take my grandmother there and I will pick up some hand soap, tin tomatoes, frozen peas, and some jams and cereal. Nothing I would go out of my way to get from there though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I shop at Aldi occasionally. They have good prices for kids lunch box stuff and other long life products but most of their fruit and veg are yuck. I hate the checkout especially if I have a full trolley load. I also hate how there isn't trolley drop offs in the car park...at our we have to take it all the way back up to the shop door. Oh and I always forget to take my own bags and boxes lol
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 21-10-2013 at 12:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like everything except the dog food. It's not good quality and the dogs go to the toilet a lot!