+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Did you LOVE BFing?

I chose to BF my DD (now 2weeks old) knowing it was the best thing for her health.
    I know it's only early days still but I'm finding particularly on days that she fusses and wants to feed seemingly non stop. I don't enjoy feeding her.

I find it difficult to be confined to bed or the couch for 30min at a time..sometimes more. I can walk and feed but it takes its toll on my arms and back if I do it too much. I also feel bad for ds - I don't want him to feel left out and that I don't have time for him since I'm always holding the baby.

I hear and read alot about how much other mums seem to love feeding and having those special moments with their LOs. I just don't feel that way ATM. I feel a bit like a cow. Especially on days she feeds non stop I'm just sore and tired and can't relax even when she is sleeping thinking she will wake at any second and then I have to do it all over again.

Is this just normal newborn challenges? Did you find it a struggle at first but things got better?
    Is it normal to not love feeding but still do it for the good of your baby?
    Last edited by MadeWithLove; 20-10-2013 at 19:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Nope, but it's easy for me.

ETA- my baby is 10 months and I'm weaning at 12 months. I'm sick of bf. I want my body back. And she only feeds for about 2 minutes, except first feed of morning.

I haven't discussed this with her yet and don't know what she thinks about it
    Last edited by BigRedV; 20-10-2013 at 19:18.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (21-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hated it with DS1 and switched to FFing after 5 months. I had PND and he had cows milk protein intolerance which meant I had to cut out all dairy from my diet. He also became a very fussy feeder at the 4 month mark and by the end of it I was starting to resent him.
    With DS2, things were a million times easier. He fed well, no intolerances, no PND, no issues after the initial 4-5 weeks. I still didn't like it. I had moments of being glad I was BFing because I couldn't be bothered FFing, and I certainly had warm fuzzy moments, but I still didn't like the actual sensation or the fact that I was the sole person who could feed him (he was a bit funny taking EBM). He self weaned at 12.5 months. Overall I would say I find BFing easy but for the most part, I don't enjoy it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Some days I absolutely love it and other days I don't. There have been days that I've hated it.

But because its physically easy for me and the best for my babies I continue.

I fed dd1 for 19mths and still feeding dd2 at 16mths.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I loved it after the first three months. I think for a lot it just isn't easy to start with. I felt like I fed non-stop in the beginning but it definitely paid off for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't love it. Weaned at 4 months.

Mummy of Max 2 from donor eggs from my lovely sister.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I loved bf dd1. I bf her until she was pretty much 2. I had great supply, over supply in fact. I hated bf dd2, almost every second of it. I struggled with supply issues and tried my best to keep it up. I fed her until I was no longer able to, till 9 weeks. I think I received damage to my nipples as a result of dd1's bad habits of biting and pulling away. ever since I finished bf dd1 my nipples have been ultra sensitive. I pushed through the pain for the health of dd2 who was born prem and needed the milk so dearly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did not love it at all for much the same reasons you have already mentioned. It definitely did get easier as DS got older though. The initial pains associated with oversupply and cracked nipples went away, plus I found it less awkward to attach him (so felt more comfortable feeding him out and about) and his feeding times became a lot more regular and consistent too. But honestly I have to say that even with all those improvements I just never 'loved' it. He was quite a frequent feeder and would never take a bottle of EBM at all so I felt as though I just never got a break from him - like he was stuck on me 24/7 nearly for the first 6 months. He weaned just before his 1st birthday and I wasn't sad at all (in fact I was rejoicing!)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bitterpure For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (20-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, but DD couldn't latch on so it was excruciating.

OP if you FF you will still be stuck sitting feeding most of the day still. DD would take 45 minutes to drink and was hungry again after 2.5hrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hated it.
    like a pp, my babies also had CMPI and I was on an extremely restricted diet while BFing which really broke my spirit and led me down the path of PND.
    I bf my first child 11 months and second child 6 months all while on a dairy, soy, wheat, egg and gluten free diet. It sucked and it pretty much broke me.... No good memories there. I actually regret BFing and wish I could go back and switch to formula earlier but I thought I was doing the right thing at the time.