+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Camping with a newborn

I'm due mid feb 2014 and my family (extended also, can get up to 20 people), always go away over the Easter weekend. DH and I would love to go, we're just not sure how we'd cope and we're worried about disrupting other families around us as we'd be in a caravan/tent park. Haven't decided if we'd be in a caravan or tent yet...
    Just wondering if anyone has done this and how they went?
    Last edited by MrsDL; 19-10-2013 at 19:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Run. For the hills. Anywhere but not a caravan park with 20 relatives. Don't mean to be negative but no. Don't do it. Stay home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went camping when my first was 2 weeks and loved it they are so easy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pawzette For This Useful Post:

waitsee  (19-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Get a caravan. Will be heaps comfier and that way if you need to shower with bubs it will be easier for dh to pass them in. And try and see if you can get a site away from the rest of the family. That way you can join them when you want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Caravan park is fully booked, we've had the same site for 5 years and have no hope of changing or getting an extra one, but great idea in theory! I have heard that it'd be easier with a newborn than with a toddler etc, but I'm worried we'll keep everyone awake. But then I'm fairly sure we won't be the only ones in the park with a baby. It's just so unknown but I really wanna go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Camping is so easy with babies!!! Easier than with toddlers! All you need is a bed for them a pram and if you use formula bottles and a thermos for boiled water. Seriously easy! I used to half fill to 3/4 fill the bottles with cooled water add the hot water so it reaches desired temp and then add formula. I used to boil the water just before bed and it was still super hot in the morning.
    I really think you should go you will enjoy yourselves!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monster & Boof For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (19-10-2013),waitsee  (19-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just depends on what type of bub yours is...I'd say go for it, if it doesn't work out you just won't do it again for a while. Don't worry about others they can put ear plugs in it's you who you need to worry about. Your the one who is up

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicsta83 For This Useful Post:

waitsee  (19-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would for sure! Newborns are easy as! if it sucks you can just go home early!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We started going camping with DD when she was 7 weeks old...they are so easy when they are that little...very portable! I found a pram really helpful when she was that little...would put her to sleep in it at night while we were out around the campfire, then when we went to bed, unclipped the bassinet and brought it in the tent with us.

She was a pretty chilled baby though, I don't imagine a baby that screamed for hours would be very pleasant to take camping.

As an aside, we go camping with other families and I have never noticed anyone else's baby or kid making noise at night, and vice versa, you only seem to hear your own!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We travel all the time in tents - only way 2 go with so many! If bub is breastfed, there'll be no probs. For formula, I always carry a thermos. Check whether the camp kitchen at the caravan park has a kettle (some don't) as it may be worth bringing a cheap one with you ($7.50 at Kmart).

I wouldn't stress about the noise - toddlers are usually way worse!

Be aware that it may be a bit chilly in a tent at that time of year - you'll need to be sure to bring plenty of warm bedding.

Have fun - I always remind myself that our early Australian settlers had upteen children in dodgy tents and were fine!