+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Starting solids?

Hoping someone has some experience and may be able to give me some suggestions.

I BF dd for 6 weeks. She screamed, almost constantly. Originally thought it was reflux but that was ruled out. I had no shortage of supply and felt like she didnt like something i was eating but dont really eat the typical sensitive foods so decided just to move to formula. She has been 100% fine since the switch and is so happy all the time.

Today she had an episode. .. shortly after she had tried some baby yoghurt for the first time (she is 6m and doing really well on solids, before today she has only had fruit & veg) It seemed like she had belly pains. I understand it could just be coincidence, wind etc. .. but mummy instinct tells me its not. What could it be in yoghurt that she is sensitive too? Could it be other dairy too? Or maybe she is just not ready for yoghurt??!! We already have a paed appt at the end of the month so will bring it up then, but just wondering if anyone can shed some light? Thanks

(Side note, is baby yoghurt really all that different to normal yoghurt?!)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    It could be the yoghurt, I would maybe try her on it again to make sure it wasn't a once off, then if it happens again maybe wait a couple of months and try again. I doubt its dairy if she is fine on formula, what formula is she on?

I never bothered with baby yoghurt. My boys had homemade unsweetened greek yoghurt flavoured with fruit puree

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (20-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    It could be the yoghurt, I would maybe try her on it again to make sure it wasn't a once off, then if it happens again maybe wait a couple of months and try again. I doubt its dairy if she is fine on formula, what formula is she on?

I never bothered with baby yoghurt. My boys had homemade unsweetened greek yoghurt flavoured with fruit puree

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Thanks for th reply. Shes on a normal Karicare formula, which is why I came here to ask as I would have thought if it was dairy shed have reacted to formula too. I didnt eat alot of yoghurt when BF so I am puzzled. But I do plan on trying again over the next couple of days to be sure thats what it was.

Thanks for clarifying about baby yoghurt too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It could actually be an intolerance to dairy. The milk protein in yoghurt may be more concentrated than in formula.

I'd try her with some more and see if she has the same reaction or not - that would rule out coincidence at least.

If she was fine as soon as you switched to formula, then it sounds as though there was something going through your milk.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How long has she been on karicare? Interestingly my dd was on karicare about a month before symptoms of intolerance hit.
    She was on fortified ebm with karicare for several months before switching to full formula. After a month symptoms appeared. When we started solids I was careful about what to feed her.
    I would do what @pesca said and try the yogurt again to see if it was a coincidence.
    My dd is 10 months and now can eat yogurt with no adverse reaction. But I introduced it slowly.
    Hope it all sorts out!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well she was up every hour crying and squirming last night (normally sleeps through) so I am almost positive it was the yoghurt. She had it around 4pm(silly mumma, I know im supposed to introduce new foods earlier in the day) Will try it again tomorrow morning just to be sure.

Shes been on Karicare for 4 months now with no issues.

Last edited by blissfulfairy; 20-10-2013 at 06:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You aren't silly - I'm on my second child and I still forgot that suggestion! I've been introducing new veggies for DS2's dinner meal.

I would try the yoghurt again, but only a small amount just incase poor bub ends up in pain again. At least then you would know. Does she have that reaction to cheese too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd reacted to yogurt at 6 months with the exact symptoms as your LO. (Did it twice to make sure)
    I heard its very common when they are very young and just starting solids.

I tried again at 8.5 months with no problems.

Eta: dd doesn't react to dairy in general, doesn't like cheese
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 20-10-2013 at 06:31.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    You aren't silly - I'm on my second child and I still forgot that suggestion! I've been introducing new veggies for DS2's dinner meal.

I would try the yoghurt again, but only a small amount just incase poor bub ends up in pain again. At least then you would know. Does she have that reaction to cheese too?
    Thanks for all the replies... dd is my 2nd too, ds had no allergies (except egg) and even though we were told we may find dd has a reaction to something I just didnt even think.

Havent tried cheese yet. So far she has only had homemade fruit / veg and rusks. For brekky most days she has about a teaspoon of farex mixed in with her pear and seems to be fine with that.

Will try the yoghurt again tomorrow and see what happens.