+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Meal plan
    Direct debit bills, even if it is $5 a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Make meals stretch by adding things like lentils or chickpeas. Serve with something filling either potato / rice / pasta.

Sell off old clothes / toys to buy new (2nd hand) ones.

Meal plan.

I do lots of running around when I do my shop but it saves me money.... woollies, grocery clearance store, fruit & veg and butcher. I buy formula for dd from the discount chemist as its cheaper, and they almost always have a "spend $20 get a washing liquid / powder / soap or something for 1c". We also buy toothpaste, shampoos etc from there most of the time they are cheaper.

When I get home from shopping I prepare my meat.. so if we are having chicken stirfry one night I dice the chicken to save prep time at dinner.

Use up leftovers.... either freeze or reheat. Or make another meal - left over bolognese makes great cottage pie / nachos / tacos. Chuck left over curry / casserole in some pastry to make a pie.

Bake snacks... my fallback is pancakes / pikelets (1c flour, 1c milk, 1 egg)

In regards to newbie if youre not using cloth, coles comfy bots are great nappies and cheap. I use a mix of mcn & 'sposies, these are the only ones my son doesnt leak through! Have you got everything you need for bub?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    About 80% of what I needed for our new bubs I got free/little cost just by putting the word out that we needed baby stuff.

I find groceries/cleaning products etc are easy to save on but things like new underwear etc always catch me out. So I ask for Target vouchers for birthday/xmas then wait for the sales.

Shop around on non-PBS prescription meds and even ask if they can discount. My local chemist gives me about $10 off my motilium 100pk to stop me going to priceline to get it (which is another $3 cheaper but 20 mins drive).

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

galoomp  (19-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some great ideas!!

I will be using cloth with bubs, i already have everything i need for her Hoping to breastfeed to eliminate formula costs there.

My daughter is tube fed and really doesnt eat much so generally our grocery bill shouldnt be too high, and her feeds only cost $150/month.

I do pay my bills by the fortnight (elec, phone/net etc) so i dont get a big bill.

However in the last two months ive had to move, buy a new car, spent 2 weeks with my daughter in hospital, rego's due etc etc so things are so tight right now. I need to find my feet with this new budget.

Our town has a cheap 'supermarket' for health care/pension card holders so im going to check that out this week for food for me.
    Ive just recently fallen in love with bi-carb and vinegar lol, those two are an amazing mix!!

Keep the ideas coming

6. The Following User Says Thank You to galoomp For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (19-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Lover View Post
    Subbing!
    Me too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    ebay for buying/selling getting gifts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hints/tips - sorry if I'm doubling up

Downgrade where you can & how your happy with - we moved areas live more rural now, brand new house $50 less per week plus our insurances went down ( understand this isn't practical for everyone & that it includes expenses initially )

Downgrade your car if possible - we went from a 4 wheel drive to a people mover - saving on insurance, fuel -$30 per fortnight savings, services etc.

Call & get a better deal on gas, electricity, phone, internet, car/house/contents, health insurance. You will spend a lot of time on the phone doing this but it's 110% worth it. Don't take no for an answer, take notes & compare. What I did was pick 1 each day to focus on and while your on the phone ask about every single discount available eg concession card disc, corporate disc, student disc, I have a student card from over 12 months ago which meant I was eligible for a discount of $9 per fortnight on my private health. ( Doesn't sound like much but add it to my previous savings & I'm at $70 per week savings
    Also check your eligibility for the electricity payment which is in addition to discounts from your supplier - I'll look for the link of what I'm talking about.

Call centrelink & go thru your payments to make sure it's correct. I did this recently and happily discovered we were entitled to a health care card saving us on prescriptions & dr visits.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to do all this with an open mind. I wasted years & $$$$$ thinking that either it's too hard or not worth it. I relied on companies doing their job & giving me their customer the best deal haha yeah right.

Find out about any & every possible assistance in your area for if you fall on hard times. Yes it's embarrassing but hopefully you won't need it but if you do you already have your list ready.

If your struggling to pay for a school expense tell your school, they may waive the cost or offer a payment plan. My kids previously went to a private school which was a financial burden for me nothing p!ssed me off more than the snobby mums decked out in designer clothes, hair/nails/tans done crying poor to the school yet I was too proud to do it😡😡

Uniform pools often have near new uniforms very cheap $2-$5 an item. Go there regularly to check or check big w & best n less for basics, obviously with school logo but no one notices & they tend to wash up better anyway.

Do a once over thru your house top to bottom. I have been ruthless in our house recently & sold on eBay/ gumtree/ FB sites. I've made good money on stuff we don't need or use. A couple of items I wondered if ill miss it, I remember feeling that way but can't even remember what the items are now. I let my eBay money sit in PayPal & it not only covered DD bday present but also my latest phone bill.

I buy a lot of our clothes etc from eBay, garage sales, end of season sales or when it's heavily discounted.
    I'm probably someone you would look at & wonder how I can afford to live like that. Think I must be in lots of debt. Appearances can be very deceiving. Only my closest friends know that my so called expensive lifestyle is done on a very bleak budget. We get zero financial help from family, not even Xmas/bday gifts

Food is the killer in my house so I'm looking for tips on that lol.

Finally ask for discounts everywhere. If I go out I ask if there's loyalty cards/discounts available. I provide feedback & enter competitions etc. Sometimes I go thru stages of doing this heaps then not at all. It never hurts to ask & you may just be surprised.