+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well, no and yes... I think if you're young and still have plenty of time to have children, no you should not have the attitude that you will have babies even though you're broke because you'll be able to rely on government payments.

However, as a woman who is approaching 40 who has one DS and recently went through a clucky phase, time is of the essence and I am not rich. I know there's plenty of other late 30-something women out there who are single and want a baby, and I genuinely feel they ought to have every opportunity, whether they earn 30k or 150k.

It's a but if a hard question to answer, but generally speaking if someone desperately wants children and time is of the essence, then I think they should have that opportunity no matter their financial situation, although presumably they would have at least some income, a job to return to when need be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Okay, so I've read all the responses & this is my view.

I think having children is a right, no body can tell you to stop having children. But having children is also a responsibility. YOU are responsible for feeding the child, putting a roof over its head, caring for it... Etc. I'm going to take a less human approach & look at the child as an investment. Would you buy a vehicle that you couldn't afford? You have to maintain a child by feeding it, schooling it, clothing it, etc.. Just like you would a vehicle with servicing, petrol & maintenance.

Yes it's different because it's a life, but it's still something that's going to impact your finances greatly.

I don't think it is the governments responsibility to support families who don't work & have absolutely no intention of going back to work.

I think it's great that when families are struggling they can fall back on government support, but I don't think people should depend on it.

And I'm sorry but there are A LOT of people out there who simply stay at home because they get just as much money sitting at home then what they would working... People who say these people don't exist are in denial.

Yes, things happen, my son was unplanned, but my partner is lucky enough to be on good money... So it isn't a stress for us. If he wasn't on good money, we would be relocating to an area with greater job opportunities so we could provide the stable home we want for our son.

I agree that raising a child isn't all about money... But providing a roof over their head & food on the table is a basic human right.... Which costs money.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cassieh For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (19-10-2013),Cicho  (19-10-2013),Miados2007  (19-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (20-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Such a hard question to answer.

I feel for parents (like myself) who once had enough but no longer do & need assistance.

On the other hand, there is no way in hell I will be having more children, despite my firm stance on abortion (for myself, not others) because I can not provide (what I wish to) for the DD I do have.

I guess this is why Centrelink has a cut off? Don't they pay up to x amount of children then You're on your own?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Life happens - people split up, lose jobs, get sick or injured, go broke, and end up struggling with the kids they had when circumstances were better. I think those sort of circumstances are very different to someone who is already heavily reliant on govt assistance, with no intention of ever trying to earn an income through paid employment, consciously deciding to have more children at the detriment to their existing children. I would imagine those people are relatively rare though.
    Yes agree totally.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

galoomp  (19-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having a children ISnt a right it's a privilege

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patience Belmont For This Useful Post:

CassJ  (19-10-2013),galoomp  (19-10-2013),swings and roundabouts  (19-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing to read & answer later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    Okay, so I've read all the responses & this is my view.

I think having children is a right, no body can tell you to stop having children. But having children is also a responsibility. YOU are responsible for feeding the child, putting a roof over its head, caring for it... Etc. I'm going to take a less human approach & look at the child as an investment. Would you buy a vehicle that you couldn't afford? You have to maintain a child by feeding it, schooling it, clothing it, etc.. Just like you would a vehicle with servicing, petrol & maintenance.

Yes it's different because it's a life, but it's still something that's going to impact your finances greatly.

I don't think it is the governments responsibility to support families who don't work & have absolutely no intention of going back to work.

I think it's great that when families are struggling they can fall back on government support, but I don't think people should depend on it.

And I'm sorry but there are A LOT of people out there who simply stay at home because they get just as much money sitting at home then what they would working... People who say these people don't exist are in denial.

Yep, there are people out there who stay at home, but I would argue that it is nowhere near as much as a job. If they were comparable, then everybody would be doing it. I can make more money working one casual day a week than I would on new start fortnightly allowance.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 19-10-2013 at 17:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yep, there are people out there who stay at home, but I would argue that it is nowhere near as much as a job. If they were comparable, then everybody would be doing it. I can make more money working one casual day a week than I would on new start fortnightly allowance.
    When does new start allowance kick in??? How old are the kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    When does new start allowance kick in??? How old are the kids?
    Youth allowance
    • 16 to 21 years old and looking for full-time work or undertaking approved activities
    • 18 to 24 years old and studying full-time
    • 16 or 17 years old and have completed year 12 or equivalent
    • 16 or 17 in full-time secondary study, who need to live away from home in order to study, or are considered independent for Youth Allowance
    • 16 to 24 years old and undertaking a full-time Australian Apprenticeship
    Newstart
    • aged 22 years or more but under Age Pension age
    • looking for paid work
    • prepared to meet the activity test while you are looking for work
    • meet an income and assets test
    parenting payment
    • single and care for a child under 8, or
    • have a partner and care for a child under 6
    • meet an income and assets test
    My understanding is the they transfer you when your youngest is 8 for single and 6 for partnered. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 19-10-2013 at 17:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Partnered iswhen the youngest turns 6 and single is when thr youngest turns 8. Ppp and newstart are the same base rate though.