+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I guess the question would be, why do they have a better work ethic? Why don't we? And how can it change?

Personally, I don't understand why people want to be long term unemployed anyway. And NO, I'm not talking about those struggling, looking for work, injured, disabled or fallen on hard times. I just means the ones who don't work, have never worked and don't want to work. It just seems like it must be extremely boring.
    I don't think most people want to be long term unemployed. We need to look at structural disadvantage, for marginalised groups, those in poverty and particularly women that keep them from getting the skill set and help they need to make them employable.

These types of countries have systems in place that help parents, mothers, take care of babies, young children, teens, those who would otherwise live in terrible poverty, the mentally ill and so on. If we can prevent people falling through the cracks all the way along, we will see huge social changes that benefit the whole of Australia.

Very few people percentage wise are long term unemployed even in our country are long term unemployed. There are just so many obstacles for some people sadly.

Also more women are happy to work as its workable with their children, even for single mums.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I know and I agree the system has merits but my point is that more people work over there than do here. If there were as many people there not working as there are here, there would not be the revenue to pay for the benefits they receive.
    Isn't that due to the family friendly attitude they possess over there? Apparently if your child is sick and home from school, it's not a problem to take them in to the office with you. Just as taking a breastfeeding newborn to work with you isn't.
    Career paths are determined by interest and not by what pays the best as it's an even playing field when it comes to tax and entitlements.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I must say I did it interesting thy some of the people on this thread who say they support higher taxes don't work.... Sure because it doesn't make a difference to you.. I work hard to earn a good wage and it sucks when u are left with pittance because of tax.
    Sure if I didn't work and wanted to stay home long term I'm sure I'd support higher tax also as it doesn't effect me but I'd get better benefits

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    I must say I did it interesting thy some of the people on this thread who say they support higher taxes don't work.... Sure because it doesn't make a difference to you.. I work hard to earn a good wage and it sucks when u are left with pittance because of tax.
    Sure if I didn't work and wanted to stay home long term I'm sure I'd support higher tax also as it doesn't effect me but I'd get better benefits
    Just as a random thing, as someone who also "works hard to earn a good wage", I have no issue with a higher tax on Australians to support more people short term, so the country as a whole can benefit long term. I would have no issue with paying higher tax than I do, and for a while didn't claim the tax free threshhold, until I realised how pointless it was because I got it back at the end of the financial year anyway, so now I work out other ways to help the more disadvantaged of society.

Just my two cents, on that particular topic, anyway.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Don't be ridiculous, I've been in the same department for 11 years. I am on *leave* at the moment. I also have 4 kids, 3 at home and am studying a degree.

So please - don't talk such nonsense about paying tax.

Of course I assume you will be straight back to work after your next child, even if you are entitled to leave - must not miss out on paying your taxes after all.

Last edited by beebs; 23-10-2013 at 20:54.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Just as a random thing, as someone who also "works hard to earn a good wage", I have no issue with a higher tax on Australians to support more people short term, so the country as a whole can benefit long term. I would have no issue with paying higher tax than I do, and for a while didn't claim the tax free threshhold, until I realised how pointless it was because I got it back at the end of the financial year anyway, so now I work out other ways to help the more disadvantaged of society.

Just my two cents, on that particular topic, anyway.
    Numerous times on here I have seen people say I never intend to go back to work after being a SAHP.... That's not short term that's long term.... I think if benefits got better more people would take advantage and ruin it for the people who don't want it long term... I know people who have not worked a day in their life an have quite a comfortable lifestyle... They are now a pension age so no need to work. The only reason they didn't work is because they didn't want to...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Numerous times on here I have seen people say I never intend to go back to work after being a SAHP.... That's not short term that's long term.... I think if benefits got better more people would take advantage and ruin it for the people who don't want it long term... I know people who have not worked a day in their life an have quite a comfortable lifestyle... They are now a pension age so no need to work. The only reason they didn't work is because they didn't want to...
    A comfortable life style on a government benefit
    alone? They would be in a Tiny minority.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-10-2013),Mokeybear  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    And? A small percentage of people will take advantage of anything they can, but that doesn't apply to all. I'd still rather my taxes go to benefiting the good of an entire Australia, therefor long term benefiting my children, my grand children, etc etc, than me have a few more dollars to spend on what equates to crap during the week.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (23-10-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Don't be ridiculous, I've been in the same department for 11 years. I am on *leave* at the moment. I also have 4 kids, 3 at home and am studying a degree. What's your excuse?

So please - don't talk such nonsense about paying tax.

Of course I assume you will be straight back to work after your next child, even if you are entitled to leave - must not miss out on paying your taxes after all.
    I have 2 kids and am not having anymore not that it's ur business.
    I also study and have a full time job working more the 60+ hrs a week...
    I also donate my eggs so others have the chance at a family. So I guess I have no excuse...
    I have no problem with people taking some time off to be with their kids but when people do it long term even though they can get a job but choose not to that's different

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That isn't what you said, you said "I must say I did it interesting thy some of the people on this thread who say they support higher taxes don't work.... Sure because it doesn't make a difference to you."

Not that it is any of your business. But very rude - especially as you don't know other peoples circumstances.

I have 2 kids and am not having anymore not that it's ur business.
    I also study and have a full time job working more the 60+ hrs a week...
    I also donate my eggs so others have the chance at a family. So I guess I have no excuse...
    I have no problem with people taking some time off to be with their kids but when people do it long term even though they can get a job but choose not to that's different