+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also, according to friends I have in Finland and Sweden, the people who pay tax all get to "reap the rewards" in terms of some benefits and rebates (I am not talking about road, schools, police, etc). So maternity leave and childcare benefits are pretty much the same or similar for everyone. Unlike here where one person pays $80 per day at daycare after CCR and one person pays $40 for the same daycare as they get CCB too.

They tell me that this means there is basically no "my tax dollar" resentment.

But as I have also said several times, the vast majority of people work in these countries, even those with children. People go back after maternity leave and the concept of a long term SAHP is much rarer than here. This is why it works. People work, they contribute, they reap the benefits when needed. The Govt's there wouldn't be able to sustain such awesome benefits without the cash to do so. That's just a fact.

Obviously benefits are there for those who fall into hard times when needed and to clarify I am NOT talking about that. I am talking about paid parental leave and cheap/free and available childcare, things like that.

I'd be interested to know if an Australian SAHP would rather live in a Scandinavian country where they would be expected to work? Or would they just like to live somewhere where others pay higher taxes that they see the benefit of? Sorry to be so blunt but I don't know how else to word it.

Assuming access to family friendly hours of work is easier than here which I understand it is.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (23-10-2013),grooviechic35  (23-10-2013),VicPark  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's sad when a family choose not to have more children because of money.

I know it's the reality but I still think it's sad. Having kids is such a wonderful thing!

My mother is one of 12, and they grew up poor. They didn't have the government assistance back then like they do now.

It was hard and I think she still has issues from growing up that way, but she loved being part of such a big family.

I don't think it's wrong to rely on benefits for a little while, we're fortunate enough to be able to do that in Australia. I think it starts becoming a problem when you have no intention of getting off them, and I think it promotes a certain mentality and sets a bad example for the kids.

Most of the people I know who are dependent on Centrelink have had kids who are now also reliant on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I'd be interested to know if an Australian SAHP would rather live in a Scandinavian country where they would be expected to work? Or would they just like to live somewhere where others pay higher taxes that they see the benefit of? Sorry to be so blunt but I don't know how else to word it.
    I am a SAHP, and have been for awhile. I wouldn't want to live in Scandinavia - as it isn't my home.

I would like more flexible and affordable childcare, schooling etc - for everyone. I wouldn't mind if it took higher tax to achieve it.

I would go back to work in a shot if childcare was more affordable. But it isn't - so I won't

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes but @beebs higher tax but more people working? Lots of people do not want to work.

Not saying that's a bad thing if it works for your family, but I don't think people can choose not to work and expect greater benefits paid for higher tax from those who do work. I don't see how that is not selfish?

We are highest tax bracket already so if we paid more tax we would need to reconsider me working. Unless we were given greater childcare assistance which was paid for by the higher taxes of course!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But the thing is, they do it in Denmark, and they are the happiest country in the world. They must be doing something right? I would guess their taxes are different in terms of brackets over there?

Yes but @beebs higher tax but more people working? Lots of people do not want to work.

Not saying that's a bad thing if it works for your family, but I don't think people can choose not to work and expect greater benefits paid for higher tax from those who do work. I don't see how that is not selfish?

We are highest tax bracket already so if we paid more tax we would need to reconsider me working. Unless we were given greater childcare assistance which was paid for by the higher taxes of course!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also, according to friends I have in Finland and Sweden, the people who pay tax all get to "reap the rewards" in terms of some benefits and rebates (I am not talking about road, schools, police, etc). So maternity leave and childcare benefits are pretty much the same or similar for everyone. Unlike here where one person pays $80 per day at daycare after CCR and one person pays $40 for the same daycare as they get CCB too.

But as I have also said several times, the vast majority of people work in these countries, even those with children. People go back after maternity leave and the concept of a long term SAHP is much rarer than here. This is why it works. People work, they contribute, they reap the benefits when needed. The Govt's there wouldn't be able to sustain such awesome benefits without the cash to do so. That's just a fact.

Obviously benefits are there for those who fall into hard times when needed and to clarify I am NOT talking about that. I am talking about paid parental leave and cheap/free and available childcare, things like that.

Assuming access to family friendly hours of work is easier than here which I understand it is.
    Wow. What a great system. Wish we did that here. Much fairer . I'd be more then happy to pay my taxes in a system like this.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    But the thing is, they do it in Denmark, and they are the happiest country in the world. They must be doing something right? I would guess their taxes are different in terms of brackets over there?
    The culture is different too, that's why it works, unfortunately here in Australia, whilst there are a lot of people that want to work and can't, there are also alot who simply don't want to work. I think that was KW123 point . the Australian culture currently has some who simply want to sit back and ride the wave, reaping all the rewards and yet not contribute. You then have those that work their butts off and don't get much assistance who are resentful that their money is being wasted.
    With the current attitudes I certainly don't want to pay higher taxes so others "less fortunate" can sit back, relax and benefit.
    If we want such a system here maybe we need to go back to the days with no assistance for a few years to change people's attitudes

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

kw123  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I know and I agree the system has merits but my point is that more people work over there than do here. If there were as many people there not working as there are here, there would not be the revenue to pay for the benefits they receive.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I guess the question would be, why do they have a better work ethic? Why don't we? And how can it change?

Personally, I don't understand why people want to be long term unemployed anyway. And NO, I'm not talking about those struggling, looking for work, injured, disabled or fallen on hard times. I just means the ones who don't work, have never worked and don't want to work. It just seems like it must be extremely boring.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

kw123  (23-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Stats show most women work here too after children. Many would go back sooner if there was affordable health care.

They also have paid maternity leave for around 2 years I believe. Most mums don't stay home full time for 2 years. If you have two children, that's 4 years at home.

Also unemployment is very low, it's much easier to get a job, and as stated they are very family friendly. I suspect that everyone having access to everything they need, puts more money back in the economy ensuring more jobs.

I went back to work/ study when my DS was 20 months.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-10-2013)