+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are we talking about welfare dependency, or poverty where you cannot provide basic necessities? The title of the thread makes me think the latter but some of the comments are about the former.

If you cannot maintain a roof over your kids head and food on the table, shoes on their feet, a doctors visit if they need it...no I do not think you should be planning more pregnancies.

This is totally different to planning pregnancies in a welfare dependent household, welfare dependency does not mean you cannot provide the basics kids need. Of course a welfare dependent household may not be able to supply necessities, but if they can, then who am I to say they should not be having kids? That line of thinking would exclude people with disabilities on the DSP from becoming parents........discrimination much?

As an aside I read an article the other day that said 30% of households in Tasmania were completely welfare dependent, if we went with what some people seem to be suggesting about welfare dependency, that is excluding a large portion of Tasmania from having kids.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (20-10-2013),happy wanderer  (19-10-2013),LoveLivesHere  (19-10-2013),mrsd  (19-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If child care rebates and family assistance part a & b were not available I probably wouldn't be able to financially afford any children.

I can't be the only person in that situation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    And I'm sorry but there are A LOT of people out there who simply stay at home because they get just as much money sitting at home then what they would working... People who say these people don't exist are in denial.
    Minimum wage is way more than $250 a week, so no, they don't get just as much sitting at home on the dole.

Personally, I don't even know why anyone would want to continually be on the dole, from what I've heard centerlink makes it very difficult for people just to sit around doing nothing. They have to apply for a certain amount of jobs, go to interviews, training, work for the dole schemes. It doesn't sound like a breezy walk in the park to me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (20-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Minimum wage is way more than $250 a week, so no, they don't get just as much sitting at home on the dole.

Personally, I don't even know why anyone would want to continually be on the dole, from what I've heard centerlink makes it very difficult for people just to sit around doing nothing. They have to apply for a certain amount of jobs, go to interviews, training, work for the dole schemes. It doesn't sound like a breezy walk in the park to me.
    I was under the impression the dole is quite different from parenting payments, FTB, etc. It is my understanding that you don't have to be actively seeking employment to receive those benefits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the main question was basically if you are struggling to put food in your child's mouth, keep a roof over their heads and keep them clothed should you then go and add another child to the family, another mouth to feed? It annoys me to no end hearing about people that rely on food vouchers every week, have no money to buy formula for their baby yet start actively ttc another baby. How is that fair?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience Belmont For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (20-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Once they reach school age you have to look for a minimum of 15 hours a week.

Sent from my pho....oh who am I kidding. It's rarely used as a phone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    Once they reach school age you have to look for a minimum of 15 hours a week.

Ahh okay... That's new start isn't it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It doesn't bother me if people receive some sort of benefits and have more children.

If that's their ONLY income when having a PLANNED baby though... I think that's evidence of really poor decision-making and a pretty stupid thing to do.

If you're so poor that you're not able to even buy a loaf of bread to give your kids lunch for the week... don't go plan to get impregnated. It's freaking stupid.

So yeah, I guess it depends on the level of welfare dependency for me. If they're fully relying on it, then no, it's not a good move. If they're getting a bit, but one or both of the parents is making money elsewhere and can afford to pay their bills and survive without TOO much of an issue... then meh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    Ahh okay... That's new start isn't it?
    Your automatically moved onto newstart from parenting payment once your youngest is 6 if you ar partnered or 8 if you are single. Once that has been done you are under obligation to look for work. You have to go through all the job search activities and appointments and crappola that any othwr person on newstart does. It's far from fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Not wanting to argue with you, but if we're talking need, then if someone is financially worse off sending their child(ren) to childcare, then why would they?? Clearly the government sees a need to supplement c/care fees, but are you saying people who get it, don't (necessarily) need it?

Why us relying solely in centrelink benefits to raise a child, so distinguishable from receiving centrelink benefits to help with raising children?

I am on my way out but can reply later if anyone replies.
    After paying Childcare I'm not financially better of working full time however I was out of the workforce for a few years and got offered a job to get into the industry I have been studying. It's HARD to get a job especially if your resume has large gaps in employment. The good old days are over I studied with a lot of people who can't find work. In order for me to get ahead in life I had to take a job.
    It's not all about the money sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the future. I feel like crap leaving my kids in care all day and seeing no finacial reward but what choice do I have the lOnger I'm out of work the worse my job prospects become. I feel lucky to have a job at all in these times.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (19-10-2013),Stiflers Mom  (20-10-2013)