+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2twinboys View Post
    ours is 60 a day for before and Afterschool care.

Our total daycare bill during school holidays is around $800 pw. (For 1 baby in care and 2 in vacation care. Bit above the award wage so I can see why it doesn't seem cost effective to work while kids are young
    Wow! That's insane. Is that with child care rebates?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is irresponsible to purposely fall pregnant with the full intention of relying on Centrelink benefits to raise a child. My opinion applies whether the said child is your first, third or tenth.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

FutureMa  (19-10-2013),grooviechic35  (19-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (20-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    You're very lucky then. Not everyone can earn $400 or $500 for one day a week each fortnight.

I've read so many times on here about people returning to work and all but a few dollars of their salary goes towards Childcare. Hence they feel they are better off not working.
    And if you're one of those people (like me) who struggles with being away from DS, and him being in daycare for 8+ hours a day 5 days a week, then unless you're significantly financially better off working, it seems utterly pointless. I would not sacrifice all that time way from my son unless it was going to significantly improve my financial situation. Why?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    What about carers or people with a disability or for that matter students?
    For me its an economic issue ... it doesn't really matter what the reason is. If you have a significant and likely never ending reliance on welfare there is a point I think where it is decent to stop having kids. If a student needs to have kids now (clock ticking, infertility issues etc) then maybe that's more acceptable to be as if they are studying something half decent it is hopefully going to be a means to a better income.
    Last edited by VicPark; 19-10-2013 at 19:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalasmooch View Post
    The thing that erks me about this thread is the notion that money is the be all and end all of raising children. This is so beyond wrong.

For example - I came from similar circumstances to OP, we lived in govt housing, were dependant on welfare to support the family and shock horror, even had wardrobes full of second hand clothes! There were 2 of us. So yes we were in poverty but I can honestly say we still had a lovely childhood. We were poor in cash but rich in love. We walked to the local park instead of being driven to sports and classes. But none of it mattered because we were happy. We were safe, warm and loved. My parents battled addiction issues but still managed to be decent parents. They regularly went without meals so we could eat. and as a result I am now a well balanced and happy 20yo.

DH came from exactly the opposite upbringing. He is one of 7 children and his parents have money. They had vacations and activities and private schooling. They weren't at all reliant on welfare so they were never judged for this huge family. Everyone praised his mother and thought she was amazing. What they didn't know is that behind closed doors life was truly ****ty for them. All the money in the world couldn't help the fact she'd had 7 kids and couldn't emotionally meet all their needs. Eventually she found herself unable to cope with the stress and began handling their behaviour with violent punishments. DH has so many mum issues I wouldn't know where to begin. He would have traded the nice house, flash cars and weekend hockey games in a second to have mummy to himself for a day.

Yet if I lined both our families up side by side many on this thread would judge mine and praise his. Meeting him and seeing how a large family has affected him truly opened my eyes. Money doesn't mean jack if you can't meet your children's emotional needs. That's extremely hard for any woman to do when there are 7 of them. I have 1 and it's a full time job so I truly don't understand how people think they can meet every emotional, mental, physical and financial need of 7+ kids at the same time.

Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards
    Great post!

Quote Originally Posted by MsTruth View Post
    I think it is irresponsible to purposely fall pregnant with the full intention of relying on Centrelink benefits to raise a child. My opinion applies whether the said child is your first, third or tenth.
    So that would include ALL government handouts then? CCR, FTB etc?

I would say most families in Australia get some kind of handout from the government.

The government encourages its citizens to have children, they are the future of our country. If everyone stopped having babies what would happen then? Remkember when the Baby bonus first came out? It was to encourage people to have kids as we are an aging population.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (19-10-2013),FrothyFrog  (19-10-2013),just her chameleon  (19-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Most people who only receive CCR and nothing else do not rely on it to the extent that it decides whether they can afford a baby or not. It's only $7.5k.

It's brilliant and gratefully received don't get me wrong. But I don't think it's quite on the same category as people who rely solely on Centrelink payments as income.

CCR is not income in any way, shape or form.

ETA: I only mention this as people who ONLY receive CCR are not in the category of people who rely on Centrelink payments to have a child, which is what this thread is about.

So the comments like "what about those who receive CCR" are irrelevant in that context.
    Last edited by kw123; 19-10-2013 at 19:19.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (19-10-2013),VicPark  (19-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    SoIsThisLove as I said in my post I think it is irresponsible to fall pregnant with the intention of relying on Centrelink. The important part of this sentence was "relying on Centrelink"

The baby bonus, child care benefit and the child care rebate cannot be relied upon to raise a child.

People will continue to have children regardless of whether Centrelink or a baby bonus exists, you only have to look to the overpopulation of the world to see that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Most people who only receive CCR and nothing else do not rely on it to the extent that it decides whether they can afford a baby or not. It's only $7.5k.

It's brilliant and gratefully received don't get me wrong. But I don't think it's quite on the same category as people who rely solely on Centrelink payments as income.

CCR is not income in any way, shape or form.

The point was, that if parents get the handout then that implies they need it, to help with raising children.

Most Aussie families get handouts, so regarding the thread question 'is it ok o have more children than you can provide for', well, it kind of implies most Aussie families should not be having more than one child (or any).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    $7.5k rebate on childcare fees is not going to be the difference between having a child or not. Remember this is not even $7.5k in your back pocket as "income". It's $7.5k after you've already paid your centre $15k or more.

It is certainly not relying solely on Centerlink payments to raise a child which is what this thread is about.

This only refers to people who receive CCR and nothing else, but there are a lot of them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (19-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    $7.5k rebate on childcare fees is not going to be the difference between having a child or not. Remember this is not even $7.5k in your back pocket as "income". It's $7.5k after you've already paid your centre $15k or more.

It is certainly not relying solely on Centerlink payments to raise a child which is what this thread is about.

This only refers to people who receive CCR and nothing else, but there are a lot of them.
    Not wanting to argue with you, but if we're talking need, then if someone is financially worse off sending their child(ren) to childcare, then why would they?? Clearly the government sees a need to supplement c/care fees, but are you saying people who get it, don't (necessarily) need it?

Why us relying solely in centrelink benefits to raise a child, so distinguishable from receiving centrelink benefits to help with raising children?

I am on my way out but can reply later if anyone replies.