+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tantrums on public transport - what do you think of this article

http://www.mamamia.com.au/parenting/...-for-tantrums/

Usually I love mamamia but after reading this piece I am jaw dropped. The mother writing this article suggests that if your on public transport and your toddler starts to cry or have a meltdown you should get of the bus at the next stop. Really, even if your an hour away from home - just get off and wait because you can't dare subject others to a small child wailing! And, you know, taking the child OFF an air conditioned bus and back into the sun to wait a half hour for the next one is so practical. Prolong the journey that will definitely stop the crying! Seriously this has to be the most ridiculous article I've read since becoming a mum, I'm stunned another mother is behind us. Another mother who's always had a car... Obviously. Bus driver was out of Line too IMO

What do you guys think?

Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lalasmooch For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started reading thinking I would agree with you but actually... the author kind of has a point! If it was in the interests of safety then yes the driver needs to do something about that. But she also goes on to say that the other passengers could have been more helpful too, like helping to distract the toddler, help the poor mum out, and ultimately ensuring everyone gets to their destination safely, on time, and without too many headaches.

I'm definitely much more sympathetic to parents dealing with toddler tantrums in public places now, I'd definitely try and help her if I was on that bus. Maybe not give my iPhone though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    There are probably more offensive things on a bus than a child having a tantrum.
    Should the guy who refuses to wear deodorant be asked to get off the bus until he rectify's his stench?
    Should the rude old lady that places her bags on the seat beside her so no one can sit there be asked to get off the bus until she learns some manners?
    Should the teen on his mobile, talking loud enough for the whole bus to hear about how he f**ked some chick last night be asked to get off until he learns to turn down the volume and figure out that some topics of conversation are probably deemed inappropriate whilst in public?

Whilst a child chucking a tantrum probably isn't the most pleasant thing to have to listen to, so long as the parent/carer is making a reasonable attempt to diffuse the situation, so be it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (22-10-2013),babybabycakes  (19-10-2013),beebs  (22-10-2013),Gandalf  (22-10-2013),Glover  (22-10-2013),happy wanderer  (22-10-2013),LoveLivesHere  (22-10-2013),mmy2b  (19-10-2013),Mod-Degrassi  (22-10-2013),ProudMumma34  (19-10-2013),River Song  (22-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-10-2013),~ElectricPink~  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely sounds like the driver was having a bad day, but I still think it was out of line. The toddler was clearly having a bad day as well. I do respect the fact that driver saw he was having a meltdown of his own and went and sat off the bus, but there's no way in hell that woman should have had to get off. I would say dealing with kids crying while you drive is part of the job description if your driving public transport...

Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lalasmooch For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (22-10-2013),PipersMummy  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well said harvestmoon! I wouldn't of gotten off and I would've said a piece of my mind to the bus driver. He has no right to ask her to get off. This is where I would've bribed my kid with something to calm him down hoping it would work. My son had a tantrum in coles once cause I wouldn't get him a set of cars. Lasted 10 mins. I was getting him some milk anyways so I offered him milk and he happily held it for the rest of the shop. Thank God it distract him!

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOL HarvestMoon and amen!

Granted, sometimes when I read articles similar to this I groan inwardly and roll my eyes at the righteous indignation expressed by some mums.

However, sitting on a bus with a cranky child is not one of them. It's just one of those things you have deal with in life. (Not many people like dealing with things these days I notice!)

But when I read the article in the paper my interest was piqued when it reported that the driver then stopped the bus, took his change box and sat in the bus shelter talking to himself before getting back on the bus and resuming the journey.

Hmmm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Absolutely not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    *edit* deleting my unnecessary rant. The article annoyed me because I don't drive and I have a Toddler that throws many many tantrums.

But -

As a user of public transport though I sincerely hope if a driver is incapable of driving that they have a system which means they can call the depot and be relieved. Because obviously having an accident due to a distressed bus driver isn't good.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Boobycino; 22-10-2013 at 10:44.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-10-2013),Glover  (22-10-2013),snowqu33n  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am pretty horrified at the writer. I get a vibe that she's easily irritated by her kids, and uses said article as a sounding board. Harvestmoon and Boobycino- well said ladies.
    I'd be gobsmacked if as a scenario the author was on the bus with me, had a toddler, and told me to get off!

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Glover For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The bit that I actually found the most disturbing is that the author felt the need to give the kid an iPhone to curb the tantrum. What did we do as kids? Or parents didn't have iPhones...... We got a smack and a stern talking to. We turned out okay if u ask me.
    I know that's a bit off topic to the OP. I'm just answering the Q, that's the first thing I thought when reading article..

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsTugs For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (22-10-2013),smallpotatoes  (22-10-2013)