+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *Spin-off* Fun exercise ideas

From "Whats your excuse" thread, seems that many of us can't stand the gym or don't have enough time to exercise. Let's share some gym alternative ideas that are more fun or can involve kids.

I'll start first. I hate the gym but love dancing so zumba is the perfect exercise for me. I go to a class with an instructor if someone can help with DS. If not, I just open some zumba videos on youtube so me & DS can dance to it. It normally last for 5-10 minutes then he wants me to pick him up. Better than nothing

I also do small exercise with dumbbells when watching TV, DS has his dumbbell-like toys so he can imitate me. Also last 5-10 minutes then he wants the big dumbbells and gives me the toys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I went to a baby dance thing, where you dance with baby in a carrier. Unfortunately it clashed with my mother's group walking day.

Otherwise I walk because I can't drive, so would regularly walk 20+ klms a week. There's a good playground 2.5 klms away so just there and back is 5 klms. It adds up quickly.

I need commitments to things though, like meeting people places, otherwise "I'll go tomorrow".

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I went to a baby dance thing, where you dance with baby in a carrier. Unfortunately it clashed with my mother's group walking day.

Otherwise I walk because I can't drive, so would regularly walk 20+ klms a week. There's a good playground 2.5 klms away so just there and back is 5 klms. It adds up quickly.

I need commitments to things though, like meeting people places, otherwise "I'll go tomorrow".

Did you get a decent workout doing that? There's classes right near me but I kind of thought you wouldn't really work up a huge sweat doing that.
    Eta the dancing classes I mean

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just picked up a couple of zumba dvd's from the library today. It's just bloody impossible to exercise with the kids. I'm hoping they might like zumba cos it's fun & dancy. I also got a 'tai chi 4 kids' dvd which I'm hoping we can do together.

I would go jump on the tramp with them but I didn't do my kegels lol

Dd2 can ride a balance bike so I need to get organized and take her out. She can move fast enough to give me a fast walk. planning it into the day is hard tho, I have so much on. Next to schedule it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have always had back issues so working on my core is pretty important. Crunches won't always work your core, you can get some good looking abs from them but for most people it works the top half, as opposed to your core.

get a ball, size of a basketball, that isn't too full. So you can squish it. Place it under your lower back, lying down, right near your bum. Straighten legs. Lift your legs up high, just past vertical if possible, then slowly let them down with control. Repeat. As you get stronger you can move the ball up higher on your back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Pilates. I put the DVD on and go for it. The kids have fun trying it too.

I also bought a rower at tax time. When I get a spare 10 mins during the day I jump on it. Ds1 will sometimes come and sit it the room with me and read his home reader to me. Win win

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Did you get a decent workout doing that? There's classes right near me but I kind of thought you wouldn't really work up a huge sweat doing that.
    Eta the dancing classes I mean
    It was a bit sweaty work, though everyone had little baby babies and I had Katelyn who was about 12kgs at the time - that helped boost the work out lol.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (19-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My favourite exercise is taking my kids to a playground (preferably by walking!) And then playing like Iam tthe most excited kid there. (I let my kids play too). Climb and crawl and chase and run and have fun! My kids love it and I love spending time with them doing things that they enjoy. Ive given up doing a 'proper' workout at home any more, they always crack the sh!ts and want somrthing after 10 minutes. I dont enjoy the gym anymore, I like to be out getting my vit d

Thanks
    Reviews
    I play soccer. Indoor soccer all year round. It's really fast and you work up a sweat big time. I am "furniture" at the indoor centre, so I often get recruited to fill in for other teams, which means I pay $10 for one game and get to play two or three most nights.

I play outdoor summer soccer on Tuesday evenings throughout summer, and full field proper soccer during winter, with training on a Wednesday night. It's great, the teams I play in are mostly mums, we can bring our kids, and there is usually a mini-creche on the sideline.

I did bootcamp for a couple of months after having DS, I LOVED it, it was outdoors, social and interesting. Sadly they moved it to a sanitised indoor location, and it became less interesting. I do go to the gym, but my aim with the gym is to ensure that I am still playing sport when I am in my 40's, because sport it fun.

Being UTD, I am not allowed to play soccer in my team of rough mummas! I miss it so much, I will be the fat lady on the sideline screaming "hack the bone" at the rest of my team this winter!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    It was a bit sweaty work, though everyone had little baby babies and I had Katelyn who was about 12kgs at the time - that helped boost the work out lol.
    I can't dance more than 5 mins holding DS who's also 12kgs, my back hurts.

@cheeeeesecake The-coolest-mum-in-the-park award goes to you