+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Formula question for the experts...

My 9mth old wont drink formual at all.
    The formula we have DS on is 1 scoop: 50mls water.
    My question is:
    Is it ok to NOT use water with formula?
    Can i add scoops to his cereal and meals with only a little water for consistancy?
    We have been adding 4 scoops to his cereal , but im not sure if it's ok to be doing this?....i'd like to get more into his foods where i can. I just want to know he's getting all the nurtients he should be getting.
    Is measured scoops of formula without water (in food instead) basically the same as having it in bottle form?
    If i make up formula with water, then add it, he wont eat it as it makes his food too runny. So i basically sprinkle it over his food....like salt. He doesnt have an issue with taste and gobbles it up.
    He drinks heaps of water through out the day, eats food and sleeps very well.
    Last edited by Beefie; 18-10-2013 at 12:49.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Beefie For This Useful Post:

RaiensDreaming  (18-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Formula needs to be diluted as directed. If it is too strong i.e not enough liquid to powder it can cause kidney problems and constipation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably better off giving him something like pentavite and not stressing as much about formula

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy12 View Post
    Probably better off giving him something like pentavite and not stressing as much about formula
    Whats pentative? where do i get it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Formula should always be made exactly as the instructions say, with a level scoop & the correct amount of water. If it is too concentrated, which could easily happen when you sprinkle it on food, it can cause constipation, kidney failure or dehydration. How do you offer it to him? If he is refusing a bottle, could you try a sipper cup or straw cup? What if you blended in a banana and made it a smoothie? Does he drink plenty of water for hydration? Is his weight ok? I would perhaps try to make sure I was offering plebty of water and high nutrition foods, & try offering the formula in different cups/smoothie/different times of day instead & maybe take his lead in it a little...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pentavite is a baby multivitamin can get it at supermarket

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have tried everything imaginable to get him to take formula. He drinks well from a cup but won't drink formula in it. He uses straws and sipper cups no problems, but won't have a bar of them with formula.
    i have added corn flour to thicken it but still a no go.
    adding the powder to his food was last resort for us. He just does bit like it as a milk drink.
    he drinks water and as I said ears and sleeps well. He is 10kgs.
    The only way I can get him to have formula is in his food.
    with the multi vaitamin - where do they get the fat(calories) from in that like it is in formula?
    i can't believe refusing formula is such a rare problem!
    Last edited by Beefie; 20-10-2013 at 09:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am sorry you are going through this but sprinkling formula powder is not a solution. It won't be giving him the nutrients he needs at all.

I would speak to your GP or perhaps ring the formula people for suggestions and to confirm?

ETA: I believe it is actually dangerous to sprinkle the powder on food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has it been going on long? What was drank before? Have you tried a different formula?(it took us AGES to get a formula dd would drink!) Or bottles? Or I no some of the mums that have to give prescription formula add vanilla to make them taste better. The food sprinkle is probably not a viable "solution"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I am sorry you are going through this but sprinkling formula powder is not a solution. It won't be giving him the nutrients he needs at all.

I would speak to your GP or perhaps ring the formula people for suggestions and to confirm?

ETA: I believe it is actually dangerous to sprinkle the powder on food.
    Agree with this, its incredibly important to follow the instructions on the tin, it can be very dangerous and bad for bubs health to not do this. I would speak to a dr before you try anything else, please dont keep sprinkling it on his food.

Have you tried a few different brands of formula? The taste can vary.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app