+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree, about running to the nearest evac centre. I think people have changed since the black saturday fires as well, I know many people from the blue mountains, not in the affected areas (at this point) who have left because it just isn't worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    We're not affected - closest fire about 50km away but being from Ireland this is new territory for me and freaky! I'd be the first person at an evacuation centre no question to stay and defend. I can't imagine how awful it must be to lose your home but haven't the fire crews been amazing in keeping people safe!? I think people are heeding warnings and erring on side of caution which is good to see. Stuff is just stuff, replaceable, people aren't. Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones but I feel so emotional when I hear the stories of brave firefighters, people losing homes, the uncertainty around where this will end. It's scary. I find myself listening to the news or on fire service web all day. I'd never be so happy to see a mega fall of rain!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ps - it is raining quite a bit here now, so it must be in Lithgow - I wonder if it will have any impact?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in Vic so not effected but the people from our office in Syd couldn't get home and had to stay at the office over night, their house was fine but it came very close. It is so so scary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Ps - it is raining quite a bit here now, so it must be in Lithgow - I wonder if it will have any impact?
    Would be nice if they got some rain without lightning strikes. No rain near for us near Penrith though. Wish it stayed this cool all day. Its quite nice at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm in penrith and it's overcast but no rain yet.

I have a question, I know the NSWFB defend houses and do rescues and the RFS fight bush fires, however the RFS defend houses as well, so I don't get why NSWFB are paid and RFS are not? Excuse my ignorance but I would think bush fires would be a lot more dangerous than building fires, so I really wish RFS would get paid! They are entitled to community services leave which is just unpaid leave from work, so basically they're saving our houses, potentially losing their own houses and not making any money - it doesn't make sense :-( my dad used to be in the RFS but he was semi-retired and did it when he wasn't working, but there were plenty of members at his station who were young with families and jobs, it just seems unfair to me... Sorry a little OT!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think that's a valid point - perhaps a flat rate pay for a day's work. There would be too much paper work involved probably in assessing if people are currently employed and missing out on pay and how much (would cost more and take longer to process too and then would have to find more money to employ people to do so).

Maybe it could be part of tax or centrelink.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

JR03  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    I think that's a valid point - perhaps a flat rate pay for a day's work. There would be too much paper work involved probably in assessing if people are currently employed and missing out on pay and how much (would cost more and take longer to process too and then would have to find more money to employ people to do so).

Maybe it could be part of tax or centrelink.
    Even if it was paid at minimum wage, it's still recognition that their massive personal sacrifices are acknowledged and appreciated.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (22-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had some rain this afternoon and luckily it didnt get as hot as predicted.
    Tomorrow isnt looking good. Hopefully it doesnt get as bad as they are predicting. Very nervous wait being anywhere near the bush with such extreme conditions.
    Hope everyone stays safe. The firies are doing an amazing job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some friends and family in the mountains have been to local RFS community meetings tonight and have been told tomorrow if they're not planning to stay and defend, to get out before 10am. So scary.

If the fire gets out of hand it could be very close to MILs place where my daughter will be tomorrow. I'm going to strongly encourage her to spend the day at my place which is on the other side of the river so is extremely unlikely to be affected.

My thoughts are with everyone who is in the affected areas. Please remember that material possessions can be re-bought but you can not!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It has started pouring rain here, so hopefully they'll get some. Do they do helicopter water drops at night?