+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I personally haven't been affected but my cousins house in the blue mountains burnt to the ground. As you can imagine, they're absolutely devastated, all they have are the clothes on their backs :-(
    Exactly the same for me. My cousin was on the news.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

JR03  (18-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalasmooch View Post
    Can anyone in the area find out and post the appeal information, that we can donate to?

Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards
    http://salvos.org.au/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Exactly the same for me. My cousin was on the news.
    Mine too, I wonder if we share a cousin? :-P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Mine too, I wonder if we share a cousin? :-P
    My cousin's name is Alicia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not the same person :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not affected, but I grew up in a bushfire prone area, and have lived through a few in my younger years.

If anyone here is in a danger area, please pack your important documents and items into your car now. There is often no time to do so when you are evacuated. If you are worried about your kids or pets and it is safe to get them out now, do so.

My friend is one of the teachers at Springwood High School today. It sounds like the teachers did a wonderful job there today, in what was a highly stressful situation. It sounds like they went above and beyond. Snaps to them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had to drive up the mountains yesterday and back again last night. It was dreadfully eerie, I have to say, thick blanket of smoke, the eerie sound of total silence that you get in bush fires and the moon was as red a blood. I had such a bad case of the heebies that I didn't realise that I was totally speeding until the car started beeping at me. All of my friends there fear the absolute worst, they say this is different from the other bush fires and they are thinking this could be the "big one" that people have always known would come one day.

The mood is very somber, and people are quietly very worried. I really hope they are wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are closer to Penrith. The smoke today is really thick. We should be fine where we are. DD wasnt keen on going to school but she ended up going.
    Really hoping things dont get any worse. Wednesday is meant bring stronger winds which will make it very difficult for the firies.
    Its really worrying. Its just so dry. We need rain badly hopefully we get some in the next few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If anyone is wondering about options on how to donate money, I shopped at Coles yesterday and you can make a donation there (the check out lady asked me if I wanted to donate when it came time to pay for my groceries).

They give you a receipt for it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're not affected - closest fire about 50km away but being from Ireland this is new territory for me and freaky! I'd be the first person at an evacuation centre no question to stay and defend. I can't imagine how awful it must be to lose your home but haven't the fire crews been amazing in keeping people safe!? I think people are heeding warnings and erring on side of caution which is good to see. Stuff is just stuff, replaceable, people aren't. Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones but I feel so emotional when I hear the stories of brave firefighters, people losing homes, the uncertainty around where this will end. It's scary. I find myself listening to the news or on fire service web all day. I'd never be so happy to see a mega fall of rain!!