+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Diarreah and Nappy Rash

My DS has had diarreah for the last three days. I phoned nurse on call and she said to treat it at home. I've been using face washers instead of wipes and sudocrem, moogoo, ungvita, Gaia nappy cream and so far not much is helping. He absolutely screams when I change his nappy because it's hurting so much. He has had about 15 bowel movements today and he is red raw. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might help? It's so awful seeing him so miserable!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have found bi carb in the bath water helped and nappy free time

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy12 For This Useful Post:

Waterbaby  (18-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD had diarrhea once and her nappy rashwas so bad she had scars for over a year. Turned out she was lactose intolerant so her poo was very acidic causing the rash. Anyway I used Bepantham Ointment on her ( not the cream) and it made a huge difference. I also tried to give her nappy free time. I spread heaps of towels out and Terry nappies and just made the best of it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Waterbaby  (18-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh poor little bubba... My DD2 was like this! (and still is when she has diarrhea and/or teething and/or eaten very acidic food).. her little bottom would bleed from the rawness...

Pinetarsol in the bath for her helped and the Bepanthen and Sudocream helped. As well as warm washers instead of wipes.

Is your little one in cloth nappies? I asked my GP if putting DD2 in cloth would help and she said no, in fact it may make it worse as the moisture in the cloth doesn't absorb as easily, so stays around their bottom feeding the rash. My DD2 would scream every time she did a wee and even now she struggles with it all.

Sorry, I have no real advice and I really feel for you and bubba!

Hugs... xx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babylove81 For This Useful Post:

Waterbaby  (18-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your advice! No, he's not in cloth nappies. I read that they can make it worse actually which is good to know because we are going to start them over summer. It seems to be getting a bit better, I was reading about nappy mate cream (or something like that) has anyone heard of that or used it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is/was the same and I use cornflour in her nappy & bi carb baths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to use Nappy Mate Paste with DD3 and it was great, used to get it from the local chemist - she would get red raw on her bottom. Corn flour on her bottom helped too. I used to use Nappy Mate Paste at night and cornflour during the day. Also bicarb soda in the bath water - but baths should be quick, as tempting as it was to let her sit and soak it is actually better if you can let the bottom dry out. As much nappy free time as you can manage is good too.

I used to keep some wet face washers in the fridge, she seemed to like a cool wipe when I changed her. I would also have a little spray bottle of water and give her bottom a quick spray of water and then dab (rather than wipe) with the cold face washer.

Try and stick to one cream at a time for a few days - if you try a different cream each time you change him you won't know if one of them is making it worse or not - IYKWIM.

Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, I use Curash Soothing Oatmeal bath and shower wash as well...

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DS had this from antibiotics it was so bad so I know how hard it is to see them in so much discomfort. The thing that worked best for him was oatmeal in the bath. Put some in an old stocking sock and squeeze it under the tap until the water looks milky. I bathed him in this at least 3 times a day, I used soft chux style cloths and water with bi-carb in it when changing, pat dry then pointed the fan on him to make sure he was really air dry. Then Bepanthan ointment with sudocreme over the top to act as a barrier. Hope something helps soon, poor bubba.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (20-10-2013)