+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default BLW - are there rules?

So with DS1 we did purees, progessing to lumpy food etc. I introduced veg first, them some fruit, then a bit of meat. Then much later things like toast. Dairy and egg (not the whites) around 8/9 months. This was all pretty well just from info in his red book.

With DS2 I'd like to do BLW. He's just gone 6 months and is really interested in eating. So the last few nights he's tried fingers of banana, avo, steamed zuc, broccoli & carrot. Right now he's munging on a bit of rye bread toast crust he ripped out of my hand.

So getting to my point, are there 'rules' on when certain foods should be introduced? Is he ok to be eating plain or avo toast fingers or should it just be fruit and veg atm?

Also, is it common for them to gag? He gagged on a little bit of zuc skin last night and DH got really worried about the whole BLW thing.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty much the only rules are: no honey til they're past one, and not too much salt! If u do have a history of allergies, then watch certain foods, but new research says that it is actually better to introduce all foods earlier rather than later.

We have no food allergy history (apart from kiwi fruit, which I don't like much anyway), and never worried about introducing foods on a schedule. Whatever i had in the fridge - she tried. I did watch her once we started yoghurt, just in case she was intolerant, but all good. The only reaction she has had is the high acid foods - citrus, strawberries n tomatoes - which are her faves, but they just give her a lil nappy rash or pink cheeks if I don't wipe her straight after a meal. So just limit how much she has per day.

Hope this helps. Xo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mushiedaina For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whoops - and gagging is totally normal. I made a game of copying her to let her know it was nothing to worry about.

Their gag reflex is so much further forward than ours - survival mechanism, I suppose - so if a chunk of food is too big, bubs can bring it forward. If they make no sound n start looking distressed, then worry, but noisy gagging n coughing is all part of the experience!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Find yourself a copy if the book by Rapley and Murcott. It's an interesting read and helped me with my concerns when my boys started BLW 4.5 years ago.
    But I second what the poster above me said

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

mushiedaina  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Gagging is common in the beginning as they are learning
    My only advice ( apart from what above posters have said ) is to not be afraid to try them on everything and don't be shy with herbs and spices !
    My DS by 7 months had prawns, crab , almond butter , lamb chops, chicken and egg plus every veggie and fruit that was in season - variety is the key , add ginger or garlic to the veggies while steaming, add herbs to eggs , put chia seeds on eggs, splash flax seed oil and lemon juice on the veggies or salads, put green things in everything ( eg: add baby spinach to toasted sandwiches, add chives to scrambled eggs, put peas in spaghetti ) so they get used to seeing green and eat with them and let them eat as much or as little as they want - good luck - I'm sure you will be amazed at what they can eat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Another rule in the BLW book which is common sense is no hard nuts as obviously with no / few teeth it is easy for them to slip down their throat. I also cut grapes and blueberries in half, just because I think whole, they're the perfect shape to block her windpipe if swallowed. Also, remove stones from cherries, nectarines, etc.

But she eats everything we eat, she had satay chicken, rice (not very successful with picking rice up yet but has fun trying), steamed zucchini fingers and steamed broccoli.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I will try to get a copy of that book from the library. Mostly he's spitting everything back out, but he's having a lot of fun! And so much easier than purees.

We'll avoid anything with nuts and shellfish as there is a history on DH's side of allergies to those things.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (17-10-2013),mushiedaina  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We sort of did BLW... I wanted bub to eat what we were eating so I changed our diet a bit, cut out salt (used cheese instead), and honey, and sugar. Used the grater a lot, ate a lot of mash, and there was always something on our plates that bub could eat. He's now one and eats what we are eating on most days.

Eats onions, garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, eggs...
    Loves meat.
    Really enjoys tomatoes... BUT I always REMOVE THE SKIN as he can't chew it properly and I've had to scoop it out of his mouth with a little finger several times.

Google "Ben led weaning" (using quote marks) and you'll find a small collection of recipes I used over the last 6/7 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing.

Thanks for all the helpful info.