+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    DS1 started going to after school care in prep (QLD) and had absolutely no problems. The oshc actually had a room in one of the classroom blocks at the school. The staff would come around and pick the prep kids up from the classroom and all other grades would make their own way.
    They would provide afternoon tea and always had heaps of activities for the kids to choose from.

DS2 started going in kindy (NSW). He hasn't coped very well with it. The oosh is off site and the kids are picked up by bus and taken to the local community centre. They cater for 2 different schools so have lots of kids there. The staff are a bunch of really old women, who seem to possess a lot of outdated ideals. DS2 is autistic, so has his issues. It's not a very good combo.. for example, if DS is having a meltdown they opt to yell and scream which only exacerbates the issues. He will probably end up being kicked out so I'm pretty screwed in terms of work and study.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Harvest moon that doesn't sound good for your ds! Are those ladies qualified Childcare workers or teachers?
    My ds is more social so I am not as worried about sending him but my ds is very reserved and doesn't interact with other kids much even cousins or friends kids. I really worry for her in the school environment. Even younger ds picks on her and she doesn't fight back.
    I am really hoping to continue 3 days as I think 5 would be too much for dd. at daycare she says she only plays with one girl so gets upset on the days that girl doesn't attend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    Harvest moon that doesn't sound good for your ds! Are those ladies qualified Childcare workers or teachers?
    My ds is more social so I am not as worried about sending him but my ds is very reserved and doesn't interact with other kids much even cousins or friends kids. I really worry for her in the school environment. Even younger ds picks on her and she doesn't fight back.
    I am really hoping to continue 3 days as I think 5 would be too much for dd. at daycare she says she only plays with one girl so gets upset on the days that girl doesn't attend.
    No, it's not a great situation. It's my only option though. I don't know what I will do if he does get kicked out.
    I'm not sure what their qualifications are. I thought they would have had to have something to work in the industry though.?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    No, it's not a great situation. It's my only option though. I don't know what I will do if he does get kicked out.
    I'm not sure what their qualifications are. I thought they would have had to have something to work in the industry though.?

Is family day care an option for you?

When I worked at oshc years ago we provided snack something like crackers and cheese / fruit etc. Pretty basic. Sometimes we did a cooking activity straight away so would have muffins / cookies / pikelets etc.

Like a pp said there are a range of indoor and outdoor activities set up but its pretty much up to the kids.

At one oshc (which was run by the LDC I was at) we had homework help aswell, but most dont offer this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Honestly, I MUCH prefer sending her to a before/after school program AT the school, rather than a daycare that just offers a before/after school care program. I found that at the daycare, it was too babyish... she was getting bored and whinged every single day.

Going to the before/after school care has been better - a lot more kids (all from her school) and it's just better at catering for school-aged kids. It also seem a bit better as the carers aren't working there all day long... they're not "over it," by the time school finishes.

She is fed afternoon tea and it closes the same time as the daycare she used to go to does, and opens 1/2 hour earlier too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post

Wow I didn't know they could actually kick him out. Hopefully they can be more understanding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like most of the after school care are pretty good. Dh wants the kids to go to a catholic school so we will have to find one that has this. Is it usually limited number of student and hard to get in like Childcare is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    Wow I didn't know they could actually kick him out. Hopefully they can be more understanding.
    Unfortunately, from what I've been told, they can. They aren't as inclusive as day care centre's are it would seem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS goes to before and after school care 5 days a week. He's quite happy there. They give him breakfast in the morning and afternoon tea after school. They do a mix of outdoor and indoor activities, some structured stuff and sometimes they just watch a DVD for some quiet time.

It's a long day for him, and I wish I didn't have to work full time, but so far our experience with before/after school care has been positive.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD goes 2 days a week. She loves it and always gets mad when I come pick her up. Its run by her school and they split the age groups up plus they run it out of the junior years classrooms so it's all very familiar for them. I wouldn't go with an after school program that was contracted out to a different organization and not run by the school itself. I've heard horror stories from these.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (17-10-2013)