+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    I love the idea. If we ever get married this is what I would love to do! We would have to tell our close family, my mum would be devo no being involved in the planning & dress shopping.

him & me = ds 17/9/13 <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We got engaged in Dec 2011 but kept it a secret. We both didn't want the whole 'so when's the wedding? Do this, do that, oh god don't do that! blah blah' We started to plan an elopement but my nan went down hill health wise and I knew this would be the only chance she would have to see any of her grandkids get married. We then decided on a very small ceremony at a b&b 10ks out of our home town.
    August 2012 we told people we were engaged and planning a March 2013 wedding. We organised an engagement party for the 27th of October.
    2 weeks before the 27th we told our parents, brothers, sisters and grandparents that we were infact getting married.
    Come the 27th we were married in front of our 15 relatives at 3pm in the afternoon. 7pm people arrived at our 'engagement party' at my dh's parents house to us dressed in our wedding attire. People turned up saying 'we knew it was going to be a surprise wedding!' Boy were they surprised when we told them they missed it!
    There was only one person who got there nose out of joint over it. I wouldn't have done it any other way. It was perfect for us. We spent well under $5000 and that included fingerfood and alcohol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So wish I had thought of this! It would be awesomely amazing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if you can pull it off well then it would be great.

I had a friend who went to one though and it didnt work out too well as a lot of people had to leave early (babysitters, other commitments, etc) as they thought it was only an engagement party and not wedding so had not planned on being their for the whole evening.
    Apparently there was a few people that couldn't come, including grandparents and were pretty upset when they found out it was actually a suprise wedding.

But it seems that it's worked out for some of the other posters on here so it definitely might be something to look into

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I would love to do this! For people that have, what did you wear? I like pp's post about changing halfway through.

Hmm maybe I should convince DF to do this

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolier View Post
    I think if you can pull it off well then it would be great.

I had a friend who went to one though and it didnt work out too well as a lot of people had to leave early (babysitters, other commitments, etc) as they thought it was only an engagement party and not wedding so had not planned on being their for the whole evening.
    Apparently there was a few people that couldn't come, including grandparents and were pretty upset when they found out it was actually a suprise wedding.

But it seems that it's worked out for some of the other posters on here so it definitely might be something to look into

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    We knew and accepted that this would be a possibility when we decided to do this. The 2 people that did not turn up we're more upset that they missed it than we were.

The people we care most about were always going to be there for the whole time. (If our best friends and family were not going to make it for whatever reason then I would be questioning who my besties were)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles View Post
    I would love to do this! For people that have, what did you wear? I like pp's post about changing halfway through.

Hmm maybe I should convince DF to do this

Sent from my telecommunications device.
    Getting changed worked a treat. I got to genuinely surprise everyone (there was a couple of friends that suspected a surprise wedding but when they turned up and I was in a normal dress they decided it would not be happening)
    AND I got to wear my fairy tale white dress.

Me and dh engagement party
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1381971143.546123.jpg

Me and dh after we were married ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1381971165.579357.jpg

Sorry not the best pics. Just what I have on my phone.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsLA For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (17-10-2013),FrothyFrog  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A former colleague did this. Had their engagement party booked at a nice venue so everyone was dressed nicely. Midway through she and her sister ducked off and got changed. From what I understand, only the bride, groom, bridesmaid/best man, celebrant and brides father knew it was a wedding and I believe that she only told her dad when it was time for him to walk her down the aisle. The photos were amazing. The looks on everyone's faces were priceless. It worked for them and they saved loads of money. Looked like a beautiful night.

Personally would never have worked for me as majority of my family are interstate and I wanted them there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been to an engagement party were the couple announced that they had already gotten married at a ceremony where their was only themselves, a celebrant and two witnesses. It was fantastic actually! I gather a parent or sibling may have been a bit upset at first but they got over it and everyone had a great night

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did this. We told our parents and siblings and a couple of people who we needed to make sure came. It was amazing! Very hard to keep secret though! Felt terrible about lying to my friends and family, but it was worth it to see the looks on their faces! Saved us a lot of money too, everything gets far more expensive when its tagged as a wedding! We arrange it all in 10 weeks too.