+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Engagement turned wedding?

Has anyone ever heard or done an engagement party turn into a wedding ceremony? We are getting married in 3 months and now our location has fallen through for a second time. We are over stressing out about it and fighting with inlaws. We both aren't too keen for anything extravagant and would be happy with close friends and family there. Obviously people won't take an engagement party as seriously as a wedding so a lot of people wont make it. But that's totally okay by us. We were originally meant to be having it in my DP mums backyard and we are sick of butting heads with her on things. Its made me not want it at all. We have 3 months before the wedding and we are back to square one! Any light on an engagement turned ceremony would be great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep my bestie did this and it was awesome apparently (it was before I knew her)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wanted to do this but DH refused
    Seriously save the $$, the stress & your sanity. You can have a gorgeous surprise wedding on a better budget & to me it's original as all weddings are pretty much the same.

We paid for our wedding ourselves & we could have used that $25k plus on a house deposit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Different but a friend of a friend invited people to their son's first birthday and then surprised them with a wedding as well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are intending on telling people its our engagement party then surprising everyone by getting married

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the idea. Saves alot of money. It's low key ppl who really love you will be there for the engagement party and it means alot less hassle and bickering over wedding details

You might want to consider who you will tell in advance. Ie. I know my mum would be really upset if she didn't get to go wedding dress shopping with me. So you will have to be prepared for if some ppl don't take to the idea quite as smoothly. You would hope they would just be happy for you regardless of how you do it.. But fact is- there is always someone who will get their nose out of joint no matter how you choose to get married.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a work colleague do this. Well it was her fiance that arranged for the celebrant, it was even a suprise for her! She was heavily pregnant at the time of their engagement party, everyone turned up as well as the celebrant and they were married there and then

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DH and I didn't do it at our engagement party but we did have a surprise wedding. Everyone thought they were coming for DH's 30th birthday party. It was fantastic, I saved myself so much stress and worry. People do nothing but judge at weddings and it frustrates me... Our closest family and friends attended and that's all that mattered to us. It was a really special evening and people loved the surprise and talked about it for ages... My husbands best mate thought it was the greatest wedding ever cause he got to wear a t-shirt and boardies If you want to do it that way, do it, its cheaper easier and a whole lot of fun to surprise everyone... some of the reactions were classic!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a great idea! Do it and save the money!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh and I did this in march 2012 and we have had soooo much feedback that it was the best wedding people have ever been to.

Only our parents and siblings knew it was going to be a wedding
    We had our engagement party and the first 2 hours it was just a a normal engagement party, I was in a normal dress, and the small restaurant/reception venue had a dj and some small tables scattered around. Then after 2 hours (when I knew everyone who I cared about had arrived) I snuck into a back room to get changed into my wedding dress and my dad got the microphone and said "thanks everyone for coming to MrsLA and MrLA's engagement party, now can you please go outside to the garden for their wedding"
    The photographer was there by this stage and captured everyone's reaction, which was totally priceless!!!!!

We then went outside for a quick ceremony, and when we went back inside for the reception, the cake was set up, there were flowers out and it was decorated more like a wedding, then we all partied the night away.

It was tremendous, and I would recommend doing this to anyone!

Sorry for the long post 😁

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrsLA For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (17-10-2013),HippyGirl85  (17-10-2013),JR03  (18-10-2013),sjay  (17-10-2013),Trio  (17-10-2013)