+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,206
    Thanks
    757
    Thanked
    767
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default What do your toddlers have for lunch?

    I need some quick and easy ideas as I'm feeling very slack lately as I have 2 days off a week (plus the weekends) with my boys (4yrs and the other is 20m). My days are busy with entertaining them plus house chores / shopping / cooking a yummy dinner. SO lunch is usually pretty quick and simple. Usually it's French toast, scrambled eggs, cheese on toast/cheese Brevil or fish fingers.
    Any ideas that take max 30min to prep (I'm quick in the kitchen too) would be greatly appreciated!

    **(Ok, take 2, who am I kidding, NOT 30min, maybe 15-20!)
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 16-10-2013 at 21:35.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,719
    Thanks
    3,790
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    If I really can't be bothered I cook an easy Mac up. both dd's love them. Ready in 5 minutes max

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,530
    Thanks
    377
    Thanked
    1,526
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS usually has a muffin tray with each hole filled with something yummy, like chopped up fruit and veg, a muffin, sandwiches, puffed corn, etc.

    Or leftovers from night before

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

    jagamoe  (16-10-2013),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (16-10-2013),Mmumm  (16-10-2013)

  5. #4
    FearlessLeader's Avatar
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,727
    Thanks
    2,498
    Thanked
    9,122
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wow I wouldn't ever spend 30 mins on lunch. 10 minutes max, lol. I do:

    Sandwich (honey, Vegemite or tuna)
    Scrambled eggs/omelette
    Baked beans
    Muffin pizzas
    Ravioli with shredded cheese
    Veggie slice/quiche/sausage rolls/chicken nuggets that I've pre prepared and frozen.

    And then a piece of fruit. But MOST of the time it's a sandwich and a piece if fruit if we are home for lunch. He gets a cooked meal at kinder and we are often out on the weekends or cook a lunch, so 2 lunches a week of sandwiches or eggs or baked beans I think is absolutely fine.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

    FrothyFrog  (16-10-2013)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sautéed with bacon
    Posts
    6,070
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked
    2,695
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine all get a sandwich. Every day.
    Or if I don't have gluten free bread; a corn thin.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

    peanutmonkey  (17-10-2013)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,468
    Thanks
    3,186
    Thanked
    6,494
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Kebabs - mountain bread wraps with falafel , hummus, tabouli and cheese then toasted in a sand which press

    Mini quiche - goats cheese and red onion is what we normally have - just use short crust pastry in a muffin tin - eggs, cream, chopped red onion and goats cheese

    Salmon or cheese and feta sausage rolls ( I just mince a fresh piece of salmon, garlic, herbs, lemon, breadcrumbs , chia seeds or cooked spinach, feta, garlic, parmesan cheese )

    Crab cakes or Thai fish cakes - blitz all ingredients in food processor then shallow fry - takes 15 mins

    Chicken drumettes - either crumbed or honey and soy and baked

    Rice cakes with avocado and cheese

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

    LifeInShadesOfGrey  (16-10-2013)

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    casino
    Posts
    1,958
    Thanks
    2,916
    Thanked
    333
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Kebabs - mountain bread wraps with falafel , hummus, tabouli and cheese then toasted in a sand which press

    Mini quiche - goats cheese and red onion is what we normally have - just use short crust pastry in a muffin tin - eggs, cream, chopped red onion and goats cheese

    Salmon or cheese and feta sausage rolls ( I just mince a fresh piece of salmon, garlic, herbs, lemon, breadcrumbs , chia seeds or cooked spinach, feta, garlic, parmesan cheese )

    Crab cakes or Thai fish cakes - blitz all ingredients in food processor then shallow fry - takes 15 mins

    Chicken drumettes - either crumbed or honey and soy and baked

    Rice cakes with avocado and cheese
    Geez your kids eat better than I do
    Wish someone would make that for my lunch.
    I normally make dd a peanut butter sandwich or "butter wamich" as she calls it with fruit like blue berries or strawberries. Unless she asks for custard & fruit salad

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jagamoe For This Useful Post:

    dancingchipmunk  (16-10-2013),Elijahs Mum  (16-10-2013),pandamama  (16-10-2013)

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,953
    Thanks
    3,680
    Thanked
    1,949
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Usually a sandwich or toastie and some fruit

    Or i do a "platter" of cheese cubes, crackers and various fruits.

  14. #9
    LifeInShadesOfGrey's Avatar
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,672
    Thanks
    2,052
    Thanked
    1,364
    Reviews
    35
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    DS usually has a muffin tray with each hole filled with something yummy, like chopped up fruit and veg, a muffin, sandwiches, puffed corn, etc.

    Or leftovers from night before
    What an awesome idea using a muffin tray! I am going to buy a small muffin tray when I do the shopping I think and give it a go! Thanks

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,206
    Thanks
    757
    Thanked
    767
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Wow I wouldn't ever spend 30 mins on lunch. 10 minutes max, lol. I do:

    Sandwich (honey, Vegemite or tuna)
    Scrambled eggs/omelette
    Baked beans
    Muffin pizzas
    Ravioli with shredded cheese
    Veggie slice/quiche/sausage rolls/chicken nuggets that I've pre prepared and frozen.

    And then a piece of fruit. But MOST of the time it's a sandwich and a piece if fruit if we are home for lunch. He gets a cooked meal at kinder and we are often out on the weekends or cook a lunch, so 2 lunches a week of sandwiches or eggs or baked beans I think is absolutely fine.
    Lol, I prefer not though, ds1 will most likely be bashing up ds2. They need to be actively supervised . I prep dinner while ds2 has a day sleep.
    Thanks for all your ideas. I'm glad I'm not the only one with more basic offerings!

    Oh which tuna should I use (oil or spring water) ?
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 16-10-2013 at 21:33.


 

Similar Threads

  1. School lunch box
    By joalisha in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 11:35
  2. Pack It Lunch Bag
    By babesimmo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 14:52
  3. what's for lunch?
    By Little Miss Muffet in forum Stay At Home Mums (SAHMs) Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-11-2012, 01:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Obstetrician, Gynaecologist, IVF Specialist
Dr Terry Sheahan - Brisbane Obstetrician, Gynaecologist, IVF Specialist
Dr Terry Sheahan is a highly respected Obstetrician, Gynaecologist and IVF Specialist on Brisbane's Northside. To book an appointment or for information about his Affordable Low-Gaps Obstetrics please call his rooms on (07) 3353 3100
featured supporter
Swim Australia
Swim Australia are the leading learn-to-swim experts, and national swim school authority. With over 600 Registered Swim Schools located across the country, through our aquatic education, we aim to build a Safer, Smarter, Stronger nation of swimmers.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!