+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 73
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There's a difference between honesty and rudeness!

  2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (17-10-2013),Atropos  (21-10-2013),beebs  (17-10-2013),giggle berry  (21-10-2013),Izy  (18-10-2013),lambjam  (21-10-2013),Purple Lily  (21-10-2013),SassyMummy  (17-10-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-10-2013)

  3. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,094
    Thanks
    1,386
    Thanked
    1,357
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    There's a difference between honesty and rudeness!
    I agree, pity some people don't understand that difference though...

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

    Mokeybear  (17-10-2013)

  5. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,711
    Thanks
    9,559
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Person A is honest... Person B person is sensitive. Is person A rude? Person B a whinger? Or is the truth somewhere in between?

  6. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Haunted House
    Posts
    10,891
    Thanks
    1,538
    Thanked
    1,568
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Person A is honest... Person B person is sensitive. Is person A rude? Person B a whinger? Or is the truth somewhere in between?
    Sure, and ​then there's person C who's just a rude %#^* .

  7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (17-10-2013),Mokeybear  (17-10-2013),ozeymumof5  (18-10-2013),risfaerie  (21-10-2013),SassyMummy  (17-10-2013),Zombie_eyes  (17-10-2013)

  8. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Melbourne's outer north
    Posts
    5,535
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked
    207
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    There's a difference between honesty and rudeness!
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Person A is honest... Person B person is sensitive. Is person A rude? Person B a whinger? Or is the truth somewhere in between?
    All of the above are true, of course - some people ARE just being honest, and some people are too sensitive, and some people ARE plain rude (and do it for effect) and some people take offence too easily.

    BUT. Ignorance can frequently look like rudeness, which I find problematic. When people who quite obviously DON'T know anything about a situation are dismissive or assume everyone's experience is like their own (therefore the OP must be wrong, wrong, WRONG), then that "don't sugarcoat it" impulse makes the Hub a really unwelcoming place sometimes. The two seconds of energy it takes to be tactful might help a newbie stick around and find a solution/a bit of company/somewhere to vent etc.

    Same goes for people in the grip of pregnancy hormones. Or who have just had a new baby. Or were up three nights straight with a sick kid and just need some answers. You could call them "over sensitive" or you can appreciate the fact that we're not always at our best, and that being a little bit kind will make everyone's life easier. And here I insert my favourite douvalaki:

    (Hi Iz! Just like to keep you on your toes, you know it

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to jaq For This Useful Post:

    BH-KatiesMum  (18-10-2013)

  10. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    734
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked
    488
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After spending more than 7 years on bh and thousands of post I have seen a lot. I do understand a lot of people are often to afraid to voice their opinions because of the mirad of private messages I've recieved from people saying I agree with you but I don't want to be caught in the crossfire.

    I like to be open minded about topics but I also like to speak honestly about how I feel or my opinions. Sometimes my thoughts and opinions aren't popular but I'll say them regardless. I own them as my own and I try not to make out that my opinions are fact because they aren't and I believe everyone is entitled to their beliefs regardless if I disagree.

    However if someone wants to single me out and misinterpret my own personal experiences I will stand up for myself. I don't ever like to upset people who've done nothing personal to me. But if you want to take it upon yourself to passive agressively or agressively attack me not on my opinion unprovoked I will find no issue with being an a hole back to you.

    Oh so, you wanna argue? BRING IT! I got my CAPS LOCK ON.

  11. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fraser Coast
    Posts
    482
    Thanks
    529
    Thanked
    348
    Reviews
    0
    If you mean sugar coating by diluting my opinion so that it fits in with everyone else's or appeases those who regularly arc up, then no, I don't sugar coat.

    However, I've been hit rather viciously for that in the past so I have learned to steer clear of the 'red flag' threads that serve to stir up drama. Or if I find myself in a thread that turns into one, I'll stop commenting. And I don't care how that looks to other posters.

    TBH, I find that the majority of drama stems from either not reading the posts properly and either missing what is being said, not being able to comprehend what is being said or just not wanting to read what is being said. I also find that posters who have no experience in the thread's topic also muddy the waters. A recent example was a programme that most posters watched and yet we had one who didn't who was vocal about what she thought was wrong with the programme and was simply way off base. And this was because she simply hadn't watched it.

    I also find that people don't ask for clarification and will just assume the poster is taking a warry stance. I have asked in the past and I have either been treated like an idiot or the poster has made their position more clear which has really helped me understand their message.

    I now simply click "ignore" on people who have been really nasty in the past and I can no longer see what they write.

    Yes, there is a difference between honesty and rudeness.

    It's called perception.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to happy wanderer For This Useful Post:

    Trusty Chords  (21-10-2013)

  13. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusty Chords View Post
    After spending more than 7 years on bh and thousands of post I have seen a lot. I do understand a lot of people are often to afraid to voice their opinions because of the mirad of private messages I've recieved from people saying I agree with you but I don't want to be caught in the crossfire.

    I like to be open minded about topics but I also like to speak honestly about how I feel or my opinions. Sometimes my thoughts and opinions aren't popular but I'll say them regardless. I own them as my own and I try not to make out that my opinions are fact because they aren't and I believe everyone is entitled to their beliefs regardless if I disagree.

    However if someone wants to single me out and misinterpret my own personal experiences I will stand up for myself. I don't ever like to upset people who've done nothing personal to me. But if you want to take it upon yourself to passive agressively or agressively attack me not on my opinion unprovoked I will find no issue with being an a hole back to you.

    Oh so, you wanna argue? BRING IT! I got my CAPS LOCK ON.
    I know who you used to be.

    Didn't you get banned?

  14. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    734
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked
    488
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I know who you used to be.

    Didn't you get banned?
    Technically... I asked to be banned and was told I can come back anytime.

    I was also told that my issues could be resolved but by that stage I'd had enough. I found some of the things people told me others said about them extremely distressing so I put my big girl pants on and left.

    Oh so, you wanna argue? BRING IT! I got my CAPS LOCK ON.
    Last edited by Trusty Chords; 21-10-2013 at 07:43.

  15. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't sugar coat but I do try to word things diplomatically. I don't apologise for my views and I will call a spade a spade, but I don't see any reason to get horribly personal or petty with what are, essentially, strangers.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2013, 12:58
  2. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 16:58
  3. Sugar in Breastmilk
    By SPC in forum Breastfeeding Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-11-2012, 06:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
WaterWipes
Give your babies bottom a gift this Xmas! They are the only wipe made using just water and a drop of grapefruit seed extract and may help avoid nappy rash. Check out the great reviews on bubhub and see our website for more info and availability.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
LCF Fun Languages Australia
We offer foreign language lessons for children 2-12 yrs in French, Spanish, Mandarin, Italian or German as after-school and preschool clubs or private language tuition. This is play-based, full immersion language learning with proven results!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!