+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would say that I try to word my response in a respectful and non offensive way. I think it's ok to disagree with others but to do it tactfully.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I don't sugar coat my opinion but get to ensure I remain respectful and non-inflammatory as often as I can.

Being polite doesn't necessarily mean you are sugar coating.
    This is what I try to do, so I don't end up coming back over & over to defend myself.

Wording can make a huge difference in how people react to you. There's some posters that I have a negative reaction to because of how their post is worded, but others may say the exact same thing in a different way & I'll find myself reading it with interest instead of taking offense or dismissing them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Only very rarely do I sugarcoat my opinion because I'm worried about offending someone. Usually if I think the person is having a really really rough time/has problems then I might actually be supportive even if I disagree with what they are doing.

If its just a normal debate/discussion thread I don't sugarcoat. I do try to not be personal (well now I do not so much when I first joined). Sometimes I dont have the time/cant be bothered fluffing things up incase someone is offended. Sometimes i am worried that fluff would dilute my view so people would misinterpret. I often hold views that are different to the majority and many times I am very honest about them (say exactly what pops into my mind even if it is not pc/I am not sure of it myself). People can be a bit shocked, think Im rude and take things personally even though most of the time I don't mean to personally attack anyone.
    Last edited by VicPark; 16-10-2013 at 19:02.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No (are you shocked ) I don't sugar coat, but my opinion usually isn't disrespectful or judgmental. I will call it as I see it- I don't make generalizations and usually don't have personal issues with people (there's one or two that spring to mind!) so if I think my opinion is fair, I won't sugar coat it. BUT- if I do think my opinion is going to come across as rude, I will usually re-think my position. If it's not a nice thing to say to someone I stop and think- if its not a nice thing to say, why do I believe it?
    Eg, I don't understand why someone would stay home and never go out to work. But that doesn't mean I think long term SAHMs are all lazy and directionless. I know there are loads of reasons why someone would do it- I just don't 'get' it. But just because I don't get it doesn't mean it's not important to others, or they don't have valid reasons to do what they do. So that's an example of a fairly contentious topic where I don't think I'll ever understand the other argument, but I think I can argue about it respectfully rather than from a place of willful ignorance. It's one area where I do have to be careful about how I word things, and if I have to stop and think about how I word something, it always always makes me think about whether my position is wrong.
    The posters I admire the most on BH do this much better than me. I think lots of people here who some would find rude or belligerent are just confident in their position and not afraid to voice it. But are always respectful of the opposite opinion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think I sugar coat because I don't want to inflame a situation.
    In general, i am super prickly and very outspoken in my own head and with people I know well, but I don't deal well with conflict and so I'm always careful to rephrase what i want to say a few times until I'm sure that it maintains the point I want to get across without being disrespectful or deliberately inflaming a situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    In general, I don't sugar-coat, I just don't be a d*ck about it.

I like to think I word things in a fairly diplomatic way. That way my opinion is not watered-down, but if people get offended it's because of the opinion itself, not at the inflammatory way I've presented it.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (17-10-2013),beebs  (16-10-2013),Izy  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, which is probably why I comment so little should probably re evaluate that personality flaw.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mumofgremlins For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (16-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep. I sugar coat all the time. Its not worth dealing with the flaming if I'm direct. If I have to sugar coat too much I just thank posters that do it for me but not actually post myself.

Eta. I used to be direct. Now I just move on.
    Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 16-10-2013 at 19:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I dont sugarcoat. Im not afraid to be in the minority at all.

However, I phrase my opinion in the most respectful way I can, and if I don't have time to do that, I dont post. A lot of times I will read a thread an and 'like' posts because I cant type a response with DS3 in my arms (which lets face it, he is between the hours of 5am and 6pm lol.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No, if I want to say something I'll say it.

I try not to be a b**** doing it but if I have an opinion then I'm allowed to voice it, just like everyone else.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app