+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stay in a Public Hospital after birth/c-section questions?

I've never stayed in a public hospital so am not sure what to expect so I am hoping some of you will be able to answer my questions so I can mentally prepare myself for my upcoming stay. I'm getting very anxious at the thought of sharing a room with strangers & how I will deal with multiple crying babies.

I will be having a c-section do they normally room c-section patients together or is it mixed?

How many beds are there per room?

How did you cope with other babies in the same room?

Is it like a chain reaction, one baby cries and it sets off the others?

Do they restrict visitor numbers when there are others sharing the room? When my sister had my niece (in NZ) the woman next to her had her whole church come in at once and do a service that lasted several hours.

Is there a microwave somewhere on the ward for patient use? I'm thinking about taking my wheat bag for pain relief.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There was a microwave available in the ward I was on. I was told that they generally save private rooms for csection patients and room the vaginal birth women together. There were rooms with 2 people and some with 4. I got a private room (emergency csec).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Which hospital are you going to? It's best you ring and ask about their policies, as they all vary. I'm actually surprised the hospital allowed that many ppl in to be honest. Some hospitals you ''may'' get lucky enough to get a single hospital room, others you share with either 1 or 3 other ppl. They generally limit too many visitors as long as noise is at a minimum and are pretty strict with rest times. In regard to your heat pack- there is usually a microwave in the little kitchenette that is provided for the parents to make coffee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are getting very distressed about it then ask to talk to a hospital psych. Stress how upset and worried you are etc. I did which meant that it went on my file that I HAD to have a private room regardless of birth type.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you been for a tour of your hospital? I got a lot of information about the procedures while on the tour. It's great because you can see the rooms and familiarise yourself with the set up.
    Both my cs I shared rooms. To be honest, I was so busy caring for my baby, and resting I took little to no notice of the others.
    Most hospitals have strict visiting hours and numbers. But if it is getting too full or noisy you can tell a nurse/mw and they will ask them to go to the visitors room.
    You can draw the curtains for privacy.
    I have never found the babies to react to each other. They are pretty instinctive at that age and are just eating, sleeping, pooping machines. In my experience anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have just been in hospital with appendicitis at 27 weeks pregnant. I was in with 2 new mums 1 natural 1 c section. N limit on visitor numbers but very strict times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ended up with emergency c-section and was in for 4 nights. First night I shared with a lady who gave birth vaginally. Her husband slept on the chair in her are (curtain between the two beds) which didn't bother me at all. I sent DH home to sleep as he was exhausted.

THe second night I had the room to myself and the 3rd and 4th I shared with another lady who gave birth vaginally. She was most annoying as she had a lot of visitors and her husband waked around with a go-pro on his head. I was not happy!! Her visitors constantly brushed past the curtain, pulling them open, with me stuck in bed unable to get up to close them....

We had a fridge in our room and a microwave in a little kitchen nearby.

There weren't really any issues with babies waking each other up, it just seemed to work, or maybe I was too tired to remember!!!

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im having a c section in november. The hospital is public and brand new. All single room and shared en suite. You can view the ward of the hospital your birthing at. Just ask at your anti natal visits if not they will give you a run down. Most maternity wards have community kitchen as such with tea coffee fridge and microwave.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had my bub April publicly.

There was about 22 single rooms (once they fill you goto a share room) luckily when I had my dd it wasn't busy

Df slept on fold out lounge for $10 a night (linen cleaning cost) but they didn't charge us

Had tea, coffee etc making facilities. No restrictions on visitors just times except df

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh also a couple of nights I asked midwives take dd out of room so I could catch up on sleep! When she was unsettled.