+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hospital Bag Essentials..

Hey Ladies,

I am nesting now, packing away things and my hospital bag - with what I can.
    There are many lists out there on what to pack for yourself and new baby but I'd really appreciate an essentials list from moms who have been there and done that. Usually - I pack everything in my handbag - like hand santizer, nail file, 2 lip balms, concealer, hair pins, panadols - the list goes on. Obviously I don't want to over pack to go to the hospital.
    Could you please give me 2 lists?
    1. Essential for mum
    2. Essential for baby

Thanks y'all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    metamucil

snacks for yourself for when you're awake at 5am and no breakfast til 8am

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    *A note pad & pen to write questions for the midwives & write down any gifts & visitors you get in hospital.
    *A pair of larger size shoes/thongs. My feet swelled badly & I hated having shoes on but couldn't leave my room without shoes on
    *take a camera. Don't rely on your phone for photos. Dps phone crashed & we lost some of the very first photos of ds

him & me = ds 17/9/13 <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Try to only pack basic things you'll need at the beginning. If you need anything else get your partner/family to bring it in. Aim for comfy clothes - track pants/yoga pants, dresses or skirts. Nothing too tight fitting around the waist. It's not a fashion show and I guarantee your mw won't judge your outfits . Plenty of dark or old underwear. You do tend to bleed a bit in the first few days so old/black undies are good. If you're buying underwear you can just throw out, make sure the elastic is loose enough to be comfy. Snacks - both for labour and on the ward. Depending on your hospital, you will likely get plenty of food during the day, but when you're up feeding at night you can get hungry. Chargers for phone/camera etc. if you have spares pack them now. If not, maybe stick a note to your bag so that when the time comes you have a visual reminder to pack your chargers. They are so easy to forget. Maybe a small torch. Hospital lights are anything but dim so you might just want to have a torch you can stand up when awake at night whether it be to get to the toilet in an unfamiliar environment, or feeding/changing bubs without the full glare of fluros at 3am.

For bubs a handful of onesies/singlets and a couple of light wraps will do. Take a couple of 0000s and a couple of 000s. Then you should be right depending on bubs size. Nappies and wipes as well. Extra wraps should be available at the hospital.

Things to think about:
    Do you really need your hairdryer/straightener/curling iron etc? Your hospital may have a hairdryer on the ward you can borrow. Saves packing a bulky item you may only use once.

Do you really need your full bag of makeup? Is it necessary? Can you get away with a few essentials such as tinted moisturiser and mascara if you want to perk up your appearance.

Can you wear things multiple times? Can that pair of track pants/yoga pants be worn 2 days in a row? Saves on space in your bag if you can. Does the ward have a washing machine and dryer? If so, can you take a few items that you can wash and rewear? I doubt anyone except you would even notice.

If your DP is staying in hospital with you, make sure he has appropriate PJ bottoms packed. First thing in the mornings can be awkward for your DP and the midwifery staff if he's poking out his pants! We've seen it all, but when it doesn't belong to your patient it takes you by surprise

ETA: I'd pack your nail file. Nothing worse than a rip in your nail that catches on everything! Hand sanitizer should be available in your hospital room as per their infection control protocols. Don't worry about packing Panadol etc, your MW will provide it to you. Don't take ANY medications in hospital without the staff knowing what you've taken and when you've taken it.
    Last edited by M'LadyEm; 16-10-2013 at 12:38.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Sunshinebell  (16-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    bring a nice book and some mags for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I really need to pay attention to this thread!!!! Thanks for the advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some soft toilet paper and a pack of those flushable wet wipes - hospital toilet paper is the worst!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only stayed one night so I didn't end up needing most of what I packed. But the few things I did appreciate...
    Snacks for df after delivery. He didn't leave my side all day and was starving. Jelly snakes
    Small tub of Pringles
    Sports drink

Some special moisturiser and body wash I don't use everyday to feel a little bit more alive during my shower after delivery.

Comfy loose cotton pants and crop tops. I also packed some nice singlets. I didn't feel like I was in my pjs when visitors came but they were comfy enough to sleep in when I napped.

Garbage bags to put soiled clothes in from delivery for df to take home.

Headphones/ear buds. I couldn't block out the noise of the ward when I wanted a rest during the day. It was nice to put them in and have some quiet time listening to my own music.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lip balm (my lips got so dry during labour)
    New pjs (always feels nice in new pjs)
    Slippers
    Lollies & snacks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lansinoh to help with breastfeeding. Phone charger.