+ Reply to Thread
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Child Support question

Is the child support amount based on my ex's income from the last financial year, or based on his current income right now?

My ex started a new job in about May and started paying child support based on the annual wage of that job. He then received his group certificate and it showed a lower taxable income (this is only because he started the job in May though!), and so he consulted CSA and reduced it based on the taxable income on his group cert.

This just doesn't seem right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's based on the last tax return. Or so I think mine is!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it's based on the last tax return, so if he has underpaid his child support when he does his next return, he will have to back pay the difference.

I think you can apply for a change of assessment which takes his current income into account.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd be contacting them. That's not right at all. It should be based on his current earnings and csa will contact him or his employer to get that information.

If it's been adjusted to what he earnt last financial year, when he does his tax return at the end of THIS financial year he'll end up with a huge debt and he'll have to pay it.

Call them, they should be able to sort it out for you.